Rust on header pipe

Hello, this is my first post here and im hoping to learn a lot on these 2 strokes. So i am in the market to purchase a 250sx and i have a question regarding buying used. I recently saw one ad for a 2014 model where the bike had rust on the header pipe. Never seen this on any used bikes before. Just want to ask whether the rust indicates anything and i should stay away from buying this bike?? Or is it normal for used bikes to have rust on the exhaust header? Ive attached an image and you can clearly see how much rust is on the header. Looking forward to any help, thanks.

IMG-20181024-WA0004.jpg

That’s a pro circuit works pipe. They’re made unfinished. Same pipe sold as a platinum model that resists rust much better. You could remove pipe, take a wire wheel to it to remove rust then prime it and paint it bbq black. This should resist rust as good or better than the paltinum pipe.

Thanks for the quick response, so the rust doesn't indicate any poor maintenance from the buyer right? As long as the bike runs strong im good?

3 minutes ago, Tony14 said:

Thanks for the quick response, so the rust doesn't indicate any poor maintenance from the buyer right? As long as the bike runs strong im good?

Likely what happened is that the bike sat unridden which results in rust on unfinished metals. These unfinished pipes need complete cleaning and then rub down with oil immediately after a ride where moisture is involved. Most trail riders opt for stock or platinum finishes lol. FMF makes similar pipe called factory fatty. IMO, they’re track pipes. 

• Like 1

thats easy to clean up get the biggest drum that will fit hole pipe in it and fill it to top with vinegar it would bring it back in like 3 days or so and you wouldn't have to do anything to it then paint with a heat resistant clear coat and you have a very sexy finished pipe

Thanks for the great responses! That clears up my confusion. I'll have the bike tested and hopefully everything else is good. Thanks again.

Old skool trick for mild steel exhaust.  Wipe it on when cool, repeat every so often.

download.jpeg

• Like 1

We use 'unfinished' HGS pipes. You can buy gel cleaner for them which takes away the rust/tarnishing. However, after every wash just dry with airline or paper towel and then use a silicone spray - keeps them like new.  I see it appears to have been used in competition. Bob

Edited by 7Tktm

I have an FMF fatty factory pipe. Just a wipe down with WD40 between rides and after washes is all thats needed to prevent rust like you see there. The rust however will not effect performance. Same holds true with the Pro Circuit works pipes.

Edited by shrub73