2009 RMZ450 project

Hey guys, I haven’t posted much on here but been a member for quite a while. I just purchased a 2009 rmz 450 that was pretty beat. The guy was selling for cheap cause he couldn’t get it running. I’ve spent a couple of hours cleaning the fuel system and setting the valves so it is running again. I’ve been a Ktm guy for quite a few years but still have my old rm 250 so I figured this would be a fun bike to play around with. Here’s a picture of how the bike currently is. I plan on going through it top to bottom and making it look and run good again. I’ll update the thread as I get some time to play with it. Oh and just wondering if anybody has a full exhaust they are willing to part with the head pipe has some questionable dents in it. Also I’m not well versed in these Suzuki’s so any input on what this bike will need would be great.
Cheers
Cnelson6
IMG_2236.thumb.JPG.c45637b570e8c53f444bd707f0866a1c.JPG

• Like 2

It should be pretty straight forward. Don't get all caught up in the guys that like to bash the bikes. Just take your time and measure everything out. They are great bikes, and hold up pretty darn well. They don't need much to work well either. 

I can't wait to see what you do with it. I think you will find that it is more similar to your KTM's than one would think in terms of characteristics. 

• Like 1

Off the top of my head 09 is a good year. 08 was the year it was changed to fuel injection and 5 speed. 09 had the kinks ironed(most have been resolved in 08) out. 

Suzukis make a great thrumpy mid powerband, and have always been ranked at the top of handling/turning regardless of where it lands in the shootout. 

The upgrades I would do would be:

1.some form of front brake mode. Oversized rotor/crf master mod or both.

2. As with every bike, proper suspension setup, sag, spring rate and valving. Once setup right it will turn great.

these bikes (Sans 1 or 2 problem years) are overall solid and the engines run just as long as anything else. As with any four stroke stay up on maintenance, I’m sure you know that already.

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1

So I picked up a couple of things for the bike, I Have a new set of gold excels that I will make my first attempt at lacing them up. I have a new head pipe coming (just stock cause I couldn’t find anything aftermarket and my stock one was in poor shape). Thinking I will find a good yoshi for the muffler (if anybody has any good lines or input on that let me know I’m not brand loyal). Still on the fence if powder coating the frame. I also might try some oversized rads on this bike as the stock ones are pretty beat. Also really looking hard at making this snow bike ready while I’m at it.

I’ve been collecting some parts just haven’t had time to do install anything yet, I’m hoping I’ll get a little time this weekend to make some progress. I just wanted to pick your guys brain on what kind of tuner to buy so it can start better? Just noticed that the bike prefers to have it at tdc or just past for starting. Maybe that’s just a characteristic of the bike that I’ll just have to get used to. Thanks in advance for the input.

19 hours ago, cnelson6 said:

I’ve been collecting some parts just haven’t had time to do install anything yet, I’m hoping I’ll get a little time this weekend to make some progress. I just wanted to pick your guys brain on what kind of tuner to buy so it can start better? Just noticed that the bike prefers to have it at tdc or just past for starting. Maybe that’s just a characteristic of the bike that I’ll just have to get used to. Thanks in advance for the input.

You can have it remapped and save yourself some coin if you can find someone to do it. 

Aside from that I have seen quite a few Vortex and PC5 tuners avail used on eBay, Vital, and of course here (although I haven't seen one here recently). 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1