97 RM250: Keep Pouring $$$ into it?

Okay so I have a project bike it’s a 1997 rm 250 It runs good but could use some tic I really enjoy ridding the bike I spent a grand on it and would like to put some money into it get the frame powder coated and do a engine rebuild and restyled plastics but finding the restyled plastics are a pain I haven’t been able to find any if I do the next thing would be doing a exhaust and header but early today I was haveing a conversation about doing this with one of my buddies that also ride and race frequently and he said later on the bike would be worth nothing becuse of how old it is so should I do it and risk loseing all that money in the long run if I decide to get rid of it in the long run

Any bike regardless of age will need mantainice and engine rebuild at some point. You generally will lose money on most bikes. Let's say a good running bike is worth $1500.  You buy a $1000 bike but needing work. You have $500 before you going negative. If it takes let's say a $1000 you would loose $500. Now if you keep it and ride it than loosing $500 isn't a problem for most guys because your going to put money into it at some point. 

What you don't want to do is put money into something you don't want or is beyond basic rebuild/ maintenance. I say if you like the bike sit down and figure out what the cost would be. If it fits your budget and you want to do it go for it. Think of all the money people piss away. Is spending $$$$ on a bike that will bring you enjoyment a bad choice. 

My advice is start with the mechanical needs of the bike over cosmetics.

• Like 2

Any bike regardless of age will need mantainice and engine rebuild at some point. You generally will lose money on most bikes. Let's say a good running bike is worth $1500.  You buy a $1000 bike but needing work. You have $500 before you going negative. If it takes let's say a $1000 you would loose $500. Now if you keep it and ride it than loosing $500 isn't a problem for most guys because your going to put money into it at some point. 
What you don't want to do is put money into something you don't want or is beyond basic rebuild/ maintenance. I say if you like the bike sit down and figure out what the cost would be. If it fits your budget and you want to do it go for it. Think of all the money people piss away. Is spending $$$$ on a bike that will bring you enjoyment a bad choice. 
My advice is start with the mechanical needs of the bike over cosmetics.

I agree with that from past experiences.

I get more out of a bike that needs TLC even if you have to spend some more money to me you got more ownership in it. I like taking a race bike someone discarded and making it into something. 

Take some pics along the way and show the progress, PLUS the best part you OWN the bike outright !!!

😁

See what a crank is going for on that bike. Regardless what you can sell it for later, it would be cool if you kept it many years later. I wish I still had my 94 rm250. I would see what the major engine components cost and go from there. 

1 minute ago, cabledog said:

See what a crank is going for on that bike. Regardless what you can sell it for later, it would be cool if you kept it many years later. I wish I still had my 94 rm250. I would see what the major engine components cost and go from there. 

I like the 1993-1995 RM125/250 the BEST (the way they handled) and bodywork to me was easier to work on.

Still cheaper than a new $10,000 4 stroke, any way you go about it.

4 hours ago, tucan said:

Still cheaper than a new $10,000 4 stroke, any way you go about it.

Plus, it is OWNED our right that says a LOT this day and age.

A 1997 RM250 is still a great bike and if you like the bike then fix it up. Post some pics as you go.

• Like 1

If I was out in the woods and dropped a bike, which ive been know to do, it would make me sick to do it to one I owed money on or was worth more than my car. In turn I'd probably ride around half ass instead of just sending it!

no fixy fix or gussy up unless you KNOW you will keep this particular bike for three or more years. Otherwise once you fixy fix everything and then go to sell (because it was not the actual bike you'd like to have for a while) then you will lose at least what you put into it.