Modifying the stock front fender: Anyone? (I'm keeping my eye out for an extra in case I botch mine)

I haven't found a front fender that I really like that well that would match the old mustard yellow color on my 2000 DRZ400S. So, I've been toying around with ideas to modify mine... by cutting some areas and adding to others. I like modifying things and think I can pull it off without it looking like a big hack job. Would love to have a back-up fender in case I botch mine though... if anyone has one.

Just curious though if anyone else has modified their front fenders... not so much for SM but for off road riding. I like the looks of the fenders on the newest bikes, particularly those on the Husqvarnas. So that's the general styling I'm trying to emulate. If anyone has done something similar, I'd love to see some pics. And, if anyone has a spare mustard colored fender, let me know.

Thanks.

Do you ride a lot of mud? If not just put on an SM style fender and when you are going to get muddy throw stocker back on. I know it's not what you are asking but modifying the stocker to anything decent looking is a damn tall order!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scottg07 said:

Do you ride a lot of mud? If not just put on an SM style fender and when you are going to get muddy throw stocker back on. I know it's not what you are asking but modifying the stocker to anything decent looking is a damn tall order!!

Not a ton of mud but do find myself crossing a fair number of streams. You've got a good idea but I'm not overly fond of the looks of the SM fenders.

You're right about what I want to do being a tall order. I like tall orders though! I have been messing around with templates and have some black plastic (to add to the stock fender) that will tie right into my black and yellow color scheme I have going on. I can see many cringing now at the thought of attaching plastic to a stock fender. All I can say is "trust me". I think the ideas I'm working on have good potential... even for my OCD anal eyes. Of course, I would like to have a back up fender... just in case. ;-)

Edited by fishugly

I believe this is the fender I have on my DRZ , if not it would be for a little newer WR450 . You need to drill 2 bolt holes since the Yamaha pattern is a little different , the 2 rear holes line up . Must get the Yamaha fenders . not one of the aftermarket , the Yami blue is very close to Suzi's blue, but maybe an aftermarket has a shape close that'll come in Yellow ? Never checked.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-FRONT-FENDER-YZ250-YZ125-YZ426-YZ450-WR250-WR400-WR450/362243513498?epid=1722918387&hash=item5457655c9a:g:RYAAAOSw1ZBUsCbc:rk:35:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Since several people have mentioned the SM fender, I’ll just point out that you’ll likely not find it in the older, mustard yellow. Suzuki didn’t even put the SM model out until about four years after they switched to the brighter yellow. I’m not sure you can even find an aftermarket one in the darker yellow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The 2001 - 2008 RM/RMZ fenders will bolt right on. The SM is somewhat of a shorted version of this fender. Google DRZ400 RM fender and I'm sure you'll find a ton of pictures.

Thanks. I got an 01 RM fender which the looks of were fine to me. But it was the neon yellow and the rest of my bike is mustard yellow.

The SM fender is more modern looking and closer looking to the bikes you mention, and is also fine off-road (mine has spent most of its time there).  A black front fender does not have to match the tank/plastics colour. Or you could also spray paint.

DRZ.jpg

• Like 2