(Resolved) Avoid Motocal for graphics, sketchy business...

UPDATE: Motocal has issued a full refund and are changing their policy on how they handle the copyright issues. I am much happier with how everything is being handled now and because of it, I would gladly try them again (after confirming my logos are ok).

So I have never publicly bashed a company on a forum, but just had such a bad experience that I wanted to warn others of Motocals questionable business practices.

I was allured by Motocal's custom online graphics creator. It was the most in depth I've seen on the web, and my creative side absolutely loved it. I spent about 12 hours total to fine tune a beautiful set of custom graphics for my new KTM. Anyway, here is the timeline of events that led me to creating this post. 

October 13th: Order placed for entire graphics set
October 15th: Notified by Motocal by email that there were multiple company logos on the graphics that I could not use due to copyright issues. It explained that "The decals that do not use the logo have already been produced and are being held now". They simply removed the logos and sent a proof email of all the graphics without the logos. It also said that if I would like this version please reply "YES" or "CHANGE" to change the order. I was a bit concerned at this point that they had already created some of the graphics (thus me deciding to go to another company).
October 15th: I replied that I wanted to cancel the entire order, because the entire graphics set was centered around these two logos and without them it would look ridiculous. This same day I ordered another set from another company with no issues. 
October 16th: Motocal responds that they have already produced the order minus the graphics that had the logos on that I requested. They will just refund me the cost of the shrouds and tail piece, but still charge and ship the rest (incomplete set). 
October 17th: I replied that I do not want an incomplete set and that I should've been notified of the issue before any graphics were created and still want my order cancelled.
October 17th: Motocal responds a generic email that they are thanking me for my patience regarding a trademark issue and apologize in any delay in responding to me, they are currently checking over details and will get back to me.
October 18th: Motocal responds that the graphics were already produced without the trademark parts and are sticking to their refund of the ones not already produced. They gave me a 10% discount code for my next order.
October 25th: Motocal emails me that my decals were just finished and are being processed to ship.

In a nut shell, I ordered graphics that had logos on them that have trademark issues. My bad, the company should've caught this and held the order versus creating everything that didn't have them. Had they notified me off the bat, I would've likely gone with a completely different scheme and still used them! Instead they lied to me and said they already created my order (minus the graphics with the trademark issue), when over a week later I get an email notifying me that they finally completed my order and are preparing to ship. I feel like they used some sketchy business practices to ensure they still got some of my $, it is a bit disgraceful, especially over just $200. I admit my wrongdoing in unknowingly attempting to produce graphics with trademark concerns, I even understand a processing fee tacked on or something, but not what they inevitably did.

The key here is from October 16th-25th, if the graphics were already completed on the 16th (why they were unable to cancel), why did I get an email on the 25th saying they were just completed and preparing to ship?

I will be leaving a negative review with the Better Business Bureau and have all the timestamped emails to backup my claims.

Edited by TheTyLife

Everyone knows "hello kitty" is copyrighted.  

Edited by crypto666
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, crypto666 said:

Everyone knows "hello kitty" is copyrighted.  

Dang! I should've known...

Why did you think it would be OK for a company to print graphics with logos from other companies on them?  It is common knowledge logos are copyrighted, they are part of a company's/product's identity.

2 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Why did you think it would be OK for a company to print graphics with logos from other companies on them?  It is common knowledge logos are copyrighted, they are part of a company's/product's identity.

Motocal has hundreds of preset logos from companies on their website and gives you the ability to upload more manually. Custom ordering graphics with company logos is a very routine thing and most companies are more than ok with it (Free advertising). Have you ordered graphics before? 

3 minutes ago, TheTyLife said:

Have you ordered graphics before? 

Yes.  If they aren't available on their website then the company is not licensed to print them.  If there is a question contact them first.

That sucks. I just had a terrific experience with them a couple weeks ago. Being in customer service myself, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that this is a screw up - they don't have a great process for identifying trademark issues early enough in the proof/printing process and not a malicious act to screw a customer out of money. If you haven't already escalated this with them, asked to deal directly with the head of customer service, it might be worth one last shot to get a satisfactory outcome.

And, FWIW, this company is in the UK, not the USA. Don't know of the BBB can help. Probably, if they're doing business in the US they still can.

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Yes.  If they aren't available on their website then the company is not licensed to print them.  If there is a question contact them first.

That may have been a better move for me, and I accept that. My complaint is how they handled the order from there on. They lied to me saying they already produced the parts that did not have the logos in question, and couldn't cancel. Then over a week later, email me saying they were done and ready to ship. They lied about the order to ensure they kept my business. I would've done whatever I could to stick with them if they had handled it differently from the start. 

Also, when they replied with option to "Change" order, how could've they changed what had already been created?

• Like 1

There is a reason some companies have a problem with people using their logos.  Like you said, many companies are OK with it, but some aren't.  Stop and think about the logic in not allowing your logo to be used.  Sure, free advertising is great, but there are way too many stupid people that would use their logo in an inappropriate way.  A company invests millions of dollars in a logo, it is their identity and they need to protect it.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smokepony said:

That sucks. I just had a terrific experience with them a couple weeks ago. Being in customer service myself, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that this is a screw up - they don't have a great process for identifying trademark issues early enough in the proof/printing process and not a malicious act to screw a customer out of money. If you haven't already escalated this with them, asked to deal directly with the head of customer service, it might be worth one last shot to get a satisfactory outcome.

And, FWIW, this company is in the UK, not the USA. Don't know of the BBB can help. Probably, if they're doing business in the US they still can.

Good to know. Yeah I went back and fourth with them on emails and when I plead my case for cancelling the order they simply gave me a 10% discount on my next order. I don't like being lied to and I think this was pretty blatant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

There is a reason some companies have a problem with people using their logos.  Like you said, many companies are OK with it, but some aren't.  Stop and think about the logic in not allowing your logo to be used.  Sure, free advertising is great, but there are way too many stupid people that would use their logo in an inappropriate way.  A company invests millions of dollars in a logo, it is their identity and they need to protect it.

Agreed, again though... that is not the issue I'm having. It's how the company handled the transaction. I don't care that there are trademarks on that logo, I would've changed the entire scheme had they not "Already created the graphics that did not contain the specific logos". They lied about creating the order when they obviously had not as an excuse to not cancel the order. That is not right...

2 hours ago, unrooted said:

Your credit card company won’t cancel the payment?

A bit too late now I think...

2 hours ago, MotoHead said:

Just out of curiosity which two logos did you have issues with?

KTM and Redbull. I had a feeling redbull may be an issue since they are hard to get a hold of, but I've had custom graphics done for my YZ 250 with yamaha logos no problem, didn't see KTM being an issue. 

Did some research, according to "Trust Pilot" Motocal has very good ratings and I was among very few that had a bad experience. My case may be an outlier. Good advice here though, check with a company first what logos you can use, otherwise you may be in a bit of a mess if you already paid.

Hopefully you AND they learned a lesson. You don't partially print an order and then charge for it. As the company, they should have just denied the graphics and asked how you wanted to proceed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheTyLife said:

A bit too late now I think...

KTM and Redbull. I had a feeling redbull may be an issue since they are hard to get a hold of, but I've had custom graphics done for my YZ 250 with yamaha logos no problem, didn't see KTM being an issue. 

Did some research, according to "Trust Pilot" Motocal has very good ratings and I was among very few that had a bad experience. My case may be an outlier. Good advice here though, check with a company first what logos you can use, otherwise you may be in a bit of a mess if you already paid.

Wow I'm surprised they don't have any KTM logos in their selection, that sucks for the KTM guys. And yeah I've heard nothing but positive things about this company. There's other threads on here about them and all is pretty much good feedback. Not saying what they did with your order was right though.

12 hours ago, unrooted said:

Honda and Suzuki. 

I was actually asking the OP, not sure if this was a troll response or what exactly?