Going to start looking a new bike tomorrow and just want to see what you would suggest.  I'm 47, 192 lbs, B class hare scramble racer. East coast single track. Haven't really decided if I'm going to race alot since I've been enjoying some easy trail riding with my slower buddies. I have a 14 husky txc310 now, but looking a 2 stroke this time around. Never had one, so I think it's time.  Going to look and sit on all brands. Been thinking of Beta 300 race edition or maybe yz250x. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

can't go wrong with any 300 nowadays. they are all so close that it doesn't really matter. the big things are ktm/husky countebalancer and beta oil injection and gasgas KYB suspension. 

a yz250x has a cable clutch, smaller tank, kickstart only, 5 speed, no lights, non adjustable power valve etc. but they are so much cheeper. depends if you want that stuff. the yz250x is an awesome bike, just not as many features as a euro bike.

• Like 2

What part of NC are you from? I am near Winston Salem (20mins west) and have a stock 2015 30RR and would be willing to let You test it if You like. My first 2 stroke as well. I am 48 and 195 lbs. I came from riding 450's and hated them in the woods. These new 300's are sooo much easier to ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CEW1970 said:

What part of NC are you from? I am near Winston Salem (20mins west) and have a stock 2015 30RR and would be willing to let You test it if You like. My first 2 stroke as well. I am 48 and 195 lbs. I came from riding 450's and hated them in the woods. These new 300's are sooo much easier to ride.

I'm in Rocky Mount.  I appreciate the offer of a test ride, but they'll let you at the dealer I'm headed to today. How has your oil injection held up so far?

The 2015's are not oil injected. They started that in either 16 or 17. I love the bike though and couldn't be happier. I should point out that I only get in a few rides per year because of work and kids. I just can't stand the thought of not having a dirt bike around. I have had one since I was 15. This is definitely my favorite out of all of them. I should also say that I am a slow rider and happy to be one.

• Like 2

Picked up a 15 Beta 300XT when they first came out, been riding it once / twice a month since at Brushy, Whitmire or such…… so far the oil injection has worked flawlessly.

• Like 2

I have an 05' YZ 250 that is modded for the trails, with the exception of gearing and the slight detune on the X, my YZ is nearly identical to the new ones. There is a reason it's nearly identical, because Yamaha hasn't really changed much in over 10 years on this bike. While some may see that as a bad thing, it is a great thing if you look at it like this: They are bulletproof! You wouldn't believe what I have put my YZ 250 through in the last 4 years and it's running better than ever. Yes, the technology isn't quite there when compared to the newer euro enduro bikes, but it's a much simpler and reliable machine. KTM for example seems to be the company to do everything first, but by doing that their reliability seems to suffer quite a bit. You get the latest tech, the newest designs but end up being a bit of a product tester for them. They seem to come out with complete redesigns before they completely iron out the problems on previous generations. However, you end up with a more refined and in some ways more capable trail bike.
I haven't owned one of the other euro bikes (Gas Gas / Beta / Sherco etc), but they seem to be more closely related to the KTM side of things. Maybe they are a better compromise, and wait for KTM to make all the mistakes?

I have found the ultimate solution: Buy a newer KTM, Husqvarna, GasGas, Beta or Sherco and enjoy that new fancy technology. But also find an old, cheap YZ 250 that is already set-up for the trails (18" rear wheel, tubliss, guards etc) to back-up that euro bike when it inevitably breaks something serious enough to keep you off the trails.

Or, if you're more reasonable than I am with your bike purchasing decisions... choose what matters more to you.

Edited by TheTyLife

I sat on every 2 stroke they had at the dealer, so l have alot of thinking to do. Daughter's wedding is next weekend, so after that's over it's time to get down to business.  Thanks for all the replies and I appreciate them all. Probably will get prices on all and decide,  but I'm not looking for the cheapest or the highest priced ones. Just the one that fits the best for my needs and wants.