Jump to content

Riding Buddies

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and also new to the Brookings Oregon area. My wife and I moved here a couple of months ago love this beautiful ocean town. I am getting back into riding (Just purchased a dual sport) and am looking for a couple of people to go riding with. I just stumbled across the Southern Curry Dirt Riders riding area. Any other members here?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, jMickey said:

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and also new to the Brookings Oregon area. My wife and I moved here a couple of months ago love this beautiful ocean town. I am getting back into riding (Just purchased a dual sport) and am looking for a couple of people to go riding with. I just stumbled across the Southern Curry Dirt Riders riding area. Any other members here?   

“Dual sport”?

what did you buy? Most ds bikes would not enjoy sand riding. OTOH, your new home has enormous amounts of great logging roads to explore. Get the Benchmark map book for Oregon and start riding and smiling. 

Winchester dunes is for serious off road mx bikes and ridden incorrectly by the wrong bike or novice rider could put you in the hospital 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy to get lost as well . Went from Grants pass to cops bay once and ended up on a gnarly logging road right next to a raging creek. Don’t know how we got so turned around... ended up somewhere by Dora-stitcum. As far as the eye could see. Finally after staying west on any road that would allow us we popped out near coquile. It was a hell of a journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t ridden a bike in the sand before. I hear that kind of ridding is pretty hard on a machine? A couple of months ago I purchased a KTM exc 500. I’ve been exploring some of the logging roads around and discovered the local mill is letting the local bike club use around 800 acres of their land. There’s apparently an old mx track up there as well. It’s my next adventure destination.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m grew up in GP. Once I get things dialed in on the bike I’d like to do some long distance riding like that. Sounds like you started out in Merlin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You bought an extremely great bike. It would be great on everything, sand included. 

Sand is hard on machine, and can be harsh on body and dangerous too. 

Lots of great riding for you awaits!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! It’s been an awesome bike so far. Quite the upgrade compared to my last bike, a yz426. I just finished the second oil change and am going to have to start buying some aftermarket parts, a larger fuel tank a more comfortable seat along with a few other things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2018 at 6:00 PM, jMickey said:

I haven’t ridden a bike in the sand before. I hear that kind of ridding is pretty hard on a machine? A couple of months ago I purchased a KTM exc 500. I’ve been exploring some of the logging roads around and discovered the local mill is letting the local bike club use around 800 acres of their land. There’s apparently an old mx track up there as well. It’s my next adventure destination.

I grew up riding from Myers creek to Hunter creek all the way into 3rd street in Gold Beach. I'd love to come down and camp at Quosatana Creek or on the Pistol and dual sport for a couple days. Have you run over Bear camp or up above Illahe to Anatauk saddle yet? Lots to explore both directions. Pm me, ive got lots of ideas. 

Edited by HevyRotashunz
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in GP and I/we ride all over up there... not super familiar with the area but, Bear Camp, Briggs Valley, Sam Brown, Chrome Ridge, Onion Mt., Quartz Cr., Powers, Graves Cr., etc.

There’s a lot of good riding trails out there. We've also done the ride from Merlin to Agness/Cougar lane a few times on trails (not on the road)... 107 miles each way... they’ve got gas and a great burger and fries there.

Edited by nailit69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I live in GP and I/we ride all over up there... not super familiar with the area but, Bear Camp, Briggs Valley, Sam Brown, Chrome Ridge, Onion Mt., Quartz Cr., Powers, Graves Cr., etc.
There’s a lot of good riding trails out there. We've also done the ride from Merlin to Agness/Cougar lane a few times on trails (not on the road)... 107 miles each way... they’ve got gas and a great burger and fries there.

Merlin to agnews! Is that mostly logging rd? Or dual sport? Looks like a good ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ktm200excrider said:


Merlin to agnews! Is that mostly logging rd? Or dual sport? Looks like a good ride!

About 70% trails... Robertson bridge to Shan Cr. and then down past Sam Brown and then into the woods from there... It kicks ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems like a much better way route to ride into the valley than Redwood hwy. I'll add that to the growing list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×