Regrets Buying a New Motorcycle?

People who have bought brand new bikes, do you ever regret the decision? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new 300 and just wondering how other peoples experiences have been. I would probably finance through my credit union, not sure about how much I'd put down. Crazy thing is you pretty much need to spend another $500 right out of the gate for protection parts, oil, gas etc.

• Like 1

My last 2 bikes have been new, nope, haven't regretted either of them.  I did pay cash, no financing, but with that said they need nothing.  I took the handguards off my old bike, and I don't need/use guards much.  I picked up a used skid plate and I'm good.  

Keep the filter clean,. Throw some fresh gear oil in occasionally and ride.  New bikes are awesome, and dirt biking is a money wasting hobby, not an investment.  Don't listen to the guys who talk about depreciation, if you want a new bike get it.  I keep them for 3-5 generally trouble free years, sell and replace.  No regrets...

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

All my prior bikes I got used and not a one didn’t have some nagging issue. FWIW if you can afford it, I view my time being worth more than money, so while I do enjoy working on my bike, that is more in the spirit of tweaks and mods here and there when I choose to do them at my own leisure rather than time consuming repairs that must be completed before the next ride. But most especially, it’s making every second count out on the dirt with the bike working near perfect that matters most to me. Roll off trailer. Two kicks to braaaap. Ride. Roll back on trailer. Wash and lube in between. Repeat. That said, if used gets you on a bike you otherwise wouldn’t be on, or if you really enjoy restoring, more power to you!

• Like 7
  • Helpful 1

I Bought my first new bike beginning of the year. I financed it with 3k down, added 1k in extras, paid it off 3 months later ( Only financed to get the credit payoff)

Then, I bought another new one, same thing.

Bikes depreciate yes, but I won't buy another used bike. I know what people do to their bikes, and I'm not interested in it.

As far as financing, it all depends on your financial position. I don't suggest financing and paying out the whole term. Yet, if you can afford to finance and payoff within the year, that is a good way to get yourself a new bike.

I have zero regrets in buying new, I will only buy new from now on.

• Like 3

My last two bikes I have bought used. The first one I bought from a friend and knew the history of the bike (low hours) . I rode that bike for 16 years and just did normal maintenance ( air filter, gear oil, top ends etc. etc,). My current bike I bought was also low hours ( had a speedometer, hour meter, stock 200 XCW). I never rush to buy a bike, it may take a while to sift through all the crap but if you can find a low hour unit at a good price it's worth it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, joey330 said:

I Bought my first new bike beginning of the year. I financed it with 3k down, added 1k in extras, paid it off 3 months later ( Only financed to get the credit payoff)

Then, I bought another new one, same thing.

Yeah this is basically the angle I'm going for, I could buy it outright but don't mind a little in interest and get it paid off. 

• Like 1

Yeah this is basically the angle I'm going for, I could buy it outright but don't mind a little in interest and get it paid off. 
A lot of husky dealers have 1.99 for good credit.
I don't have perfect credit so paying 200 bucks in interest for the credit report definitely helps.

Although it's better to fiance houses,
I believe financing anything is good for credit reports.
100% payments made and the pay off. Looks good.
  • Like 1

I have bought new and haven’t regretted it. I always shopped for the best deal and never paid full pop. I have bought used and sometimes had problems that cost me money and I have regretted that. I’m not taking about minor stuff which is expected. My latest find was a 2011 bike with about 4-5 hours run time. I got a practically new bike for a third of what the bike cost new (I have the original paperwork). It must have cost the previous owner $1000 per hour to ride it. Absolutely no regrets on that one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Regrets Buying a New Motorcycle?
3 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Current bike was new. Zero regrets. I does feel good knowing exactly how it's been maintained and run. I'm pretty particular about my stuff, probably more so that most. So, not always easy to find another owner like me. But, I have and had good luck going that route too.

I know of at least one....................

5 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Yes, I'd buy one of your used bikes! ? I wouldn't have minded to have taken your 450xc home. What a great bike! Did that thing find a new home?

Yeah, basically gave it away. Guy that bought it had no idea what a great deal he got. He pulled off the Sicass Racing hand guards and billet mounts, got ride of the Rekluse and a lot of the other goodies. G

I bought a new bike recently, but it was the one I felt comfortable paying cash for, not the KTM 350EXC, or the Honda CRF450L I really would have loved to have. No regrets. This may sound harsh, but if you have to finance a toy, how are you going to upkeep it and find that $500 for add-ons. Buy what you can save for, and then pay cash. 

• Like 2

Theres always a problem with a used bike, if not why would anyone sell it. For the 90 % they want to get rid of it because it will cost too much or is a headache to repair. The other 10 wants a new bike. If financing is the only option with a really low apr, get new gear and accessories . You'll not only have new everything , youll only pay 1 bill. A fresh bike with gear , rebuild will be within 2 years and after a couple more you can trade it. Then revolve and do the same for another. If buying used, well you might save a few bucks at first, then comes the rebuild, and the chances of you being stuck in the desert or woods. What's worse is if you cant trace an issue, and the bike is un-rideable. The lasting impression is more valuable then a few bucks pinched.

6 minutes ago, kdenbye said:

Theres always a problem with a used bike, if not why would anyone sell it. For the 90 % they want to get rid of it because it will cost too much or is a headache to repair. The other 10 wants a new bike. If financing is the only option with a really low apr, get new gear and accessories . You'll not only have new everything , youll only pay 1 bill. A fresh bike with gear , rebuild will be within 2 years and after a couple more you can trade it. Then revolve and do the same for another. If buying used, well you might save a few bucks at first, then comes the rebuild, and the chances of you being stuck in the desert or woods. What's worse is if you cant trace an issue, and the bike is un-rideable. The lasting impression is more valuable then a few bucks pinched.

Ahhhh, the lure of instant gratification. One easy payment and low interest. Of course, new bikes don't need any maintenance or repairs.

• Like 1