Novice, intermediate or expert?

so whats the ratings these days, years ago it was novice, intermediate and expert, i keep reading A AA and AAA. same thing? Back in the 90's I could hang with anyone anywhere, but now Im now 43 (****) times have indeed changed. How does one classify ones riding ability these days, is it speed or ability to tackle anything? This past weekend my friend and I did a old school blast from the past ride by loading up our OEM stock 28 year old XR's and rode them up to blue lake- they are original as the xr200 has its original front tire and tube!! So Judge me, here is the video- remember we left my crf450x and his FE501 at home and rode these just for fun- take a look at the 43:20 minute mark, that is my comfortable trail pace, 3rd gear :) Link fixed, also- My friend was riding slow due to a broken clutch perch.  Is it common for ATV's to throw all that loose rock in the middle of the single track on this trail?

Edited by JRM

3 hours ago, JRM said:

so whats the ratings these days, ...

You are awesome, I want to ride like you.

You are either faster than me, about the same speed, or slower

You can ride technical stuff better than me, about the same, or not as good

You completely suck, why do you have a bike?

Truth be told, I don't think I have come across the first one or the last one. Bikes are too fun, even if you suck it's all relative, because you'll be better than someone else somewhere.

The middle two lines can change on any given day, depending on the trail, the weather, what you had for breakfast, and mostly about your rear tire. :ride:

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

10 hours ago, JRM said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDZRR8pwWL0

Try posting the link again. It doesn't work, even to copy & paste it. 

• Like 1

If you are the internet, you are a bad ass rider that knows it all, has climbed every hill and can dispense unsolicited advice to everyone that doesn’t ask

at the trailhead, you are injured not feeling right and your bike isn’t running right

on the trail you are having an off day, after 2 hrs you are exhausted and blame a lack of breakfast 

at the obstacle you swear the place has changed and your tire choice is bad

heading back to the truck, you swear to eat right and do some cardio exercises 

you tell the wife at home you kicked everyone’s ass. 

The above is 95 percent of what 75 percent say and do...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Bottom line is who cares?

i have probably ridden with 100 people this year in two countries and 9 states

it was all about being in the moment and having fun. Even my bad experiences were good and I can honestly say I enjoyed the company of everyone I rode with. 

I YouTube the stuff so I can tell everyone at the nursing home and prove it, that at one time in my life I was a moto riding badass. 

The only advice I can give was something a recent ride companion said. If you aren’t fast, don’t invite yourself to join a group of fast riders. And if an ace joins you, don’t waste your breath apologizing for your speed...they knowingly joined for a chill day or companionship. 

• Like 2

Those same models of bikes were riding those trails back then, no reason to think they wouldn't/couldn't ride them today. No worries about overheating/boiling over either.

• Like 1

Link fixed.....honestly, just worried about getting together with fellow members only to be their anchor in what would have been a awesome day for them. I will not ruin someone else's day.. Those XR's actually did quite well, cushy seat felt like a couch!  seen 335F temps on my trail tech climbing the hill above blue lake with hot yummy Amsoil scent coming out of the breather :) bike didn't even hiccup once.  All I did was fill it with ethanol free, removed the old airfilter that the mice ate, vacuumed the hazel nuts out of my air intake and popped on a new uni filter, dropped in some fresh Amsoil, put 12psi in the tires and loaded 'em up. plan is to keep these for tight woods weapons and use our big bikes for open woods and east

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1

https://www.nmaoffroad.org/page/show/296615-off-road-series-class-descriptions

If you’ve raced before, maybe start with a Senior B race, and see where you stack up. Might be enlightening. If you haven’t raced before, then you have no idea.... start in C.

Funny how the top couple C finishers always look like upper pack B racers too.
  • Like 3

The 500's and 450's work fine on all those trails, not too big or too powerful at all.

Link fixed.....honestly, just worried about getting together with fellow members only to be their anchor in what would have been a awesome day for them. I will not ruin someone else's day.. Those XR's actually did quite well, cushy seat felt like a couch!  seen 335F temps on my trail tech climbing the hill above blue lake with hot yummy Amsoil scent coming out of the breather  bike didn't even hiccup once.  All I did was fill it with ethanol free, removed the old airfilter that the mice ate, vacuumed the hazel nuts out of my air intake and popped on a new uni filter, dropped in some fresh Amsoil, put 12psi in the tires and loaded 'em up. plan is to keep these for tight woods weapons and use our big bikes for open woods and east
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, JRM said:

so whats the ratings these days, years ago it was novice, intermediate and expert, i keep reading A AA and AAA. same thing? Back in the 90's I could hang with anyone anywhere, but now Im now 43 (****) times have indeed changed. How does one classify ones riding ability these days, is it speed or ability to tackle anything? This past weekend my friend and I did a old school blast from the past ride by loading up our OEM stock 28 year old XR's and rode them up to blue lake- they are original as the xr200 has its original front tire and tube!! So Judge me, here is the video- remember we left my crf450x and his FE501 at home and rode these just for fun- take a look at the 43:20 minute mark, that is my comfortable trail pace, 3rd gear :) Link fixed, also- My friend was riding slow due to a broken clutch perch.  Is it common for ATV's to throw all that loose rock in the middle of the single track on this trail?

In terms of racing, it's AA, A, B, and C, but that is representative of racing speed. There are many excellent riders that do not care to see how fast they can go.

• Like 2

thats pretty much me- Just out to have fun. Back in college (1997) I rode with some guys who were so fast I had to put a 15 tooth front sprocket on my xr250r, 6th at redline down some gravel connecting roads and 4th pinned on single track along side barbed wire fences. It was crazy, Hopefully I will never need to ride that crazy again. Fast forward to today, im still agile at 42 and all of those old riding buddies are so busted with back pain so bad they can no longer ride. 

Edited by JRM

2 hours ago, Wiz636 said:

In terms of racing, it's AA, A, B, and C, but that is representative of racing speed. There are many excellent riders that do not care to see how fast they can go.

I think the desire to go into 'dog mode' wains with age, and the knowledge that all these plastic trophies aren't really worth anything settles in.

Except for the very few, naturally gifted people, winning dirt bike races takes a mindset that I truly don't have anymore. I really don't care if ya wanna pass me....I can usually tell if I can hold ya off, or not if I want to...but I also know what it takes to hold some of you dogs off. It can get out of hand rather quickly and I need to make sure I show up to work on Monday. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Be an expert rider!!

always has fun, even if weather goes bad, bike breaks, gets injured

enjoys riding alone or in a group, even a slow big group

terrain doesn’t matter, sand, mountain, woods single or double track, it’s all good and fun

people want to ride with you, call you and message you to ride, because your positive spirit is infectious 

you don’t complain about the speed of others and you accept your own abilities for what they are

you listen and ask for advice to have more fun, but don’t preach to others about how they should ride or prep their gear and bikes

you ride a lot, and get to experience the amazing scenery of the northwest like few others get to do

your family, job, non moto friends accept you for your moto hobby and don’t interfere 

I think the desire to go into 'dog mode' wains with age, and the knowledge that all these plastic trophies aren't really worth anything settles in.
Except for the very few, naturally gifted people, winning dirt bike races takes a mindset that I truly don't have anymore. I really don't care if ya wanna pass me....I can usually tell if I can hold ya off, or not if I want to...but I also know what it takes to hold some of you dogs off. It can get out of hand rather quickly and I need to make sure I show up to work on Monday. 
Fast becoming my sentiment as I age. My biggest downfall, is I just don't give a rip to train like crazy to maintain a high endurance(for racing). I really just want enjoy my bike(s). It's fun to crack the wip, and rail some trail...until momentary loss of concentration puts me in the dirt. I'm currently nursing a gnarly bruise from an ankle sized root that got me during the River City Poker Run.
  • Like 2

I had to put a 15 tooth front sprocket on my xr250r, 6th at redline down some gravel connecting roads and 4th pinned on single track along side barbed wire fences.. 

Really?!

Racing seems to be

AA/pro

A/expert

B/Amateur

C/novice

Never heard of AAA

Trail riding I just call it

Pro

Expert

Amateur

Newb

I am a faster Amateur but rode with five Experts and another guy that was similar to my speed last Saturday. I like to ride with those fast guys because I never get bored and I don't like to stop and take breaks other than a quick bite to eat. At 53 I can still experience a few moment's of "Fleeting Glory".

• Like 1