Red/Green Stickers in Cali?

So I’m moving to California around December time frame and I’ll live there for about a year and a half then move to Pennsylvania for good. Now what I want to purchase is a 2019 KTM 300xc in California so I can do some riding for the year and a half I’m over there and bring it with me when I move back to PA. I know this bike will be a “red sticker” so what so want to know is this:

1) Will this bike be taxed more and if so how much?

2) I’ve heard I can only ride a “red sticker” bike in certain seasons only and if so when are the seasons and is it only certain areas?

3) Is it even worth the hassle to purchase a bike in Cali and abide by all of their “bs” or just wait until I get back to PA?

I’ve heard California has some beautiful land to offer to riders so I’d be pretty heart broken if I could only ride my bike 3 or 4 months out of the year. If you can help clear up some of this confusion and enlighten me with some facts about registering a 2 stroke I’d appreciate it!

What part of the state are you moving to?

CA has some of the most varied terrain of any state. Within a few hours drive time you can ride wide open deserts, world class dunes, all the way into pine trees and single track and everything in between. If you have the money I say it’s worth it.

The KTM will be red stickered for sure. Green sticker bikes have to be CARB approved and from KTM those are all street legal so the 300 I’m 99% sure will be red no matter which model you get. (Edit just realized you already knew this)

As for when you can ride a red sticker bike it depends on where you’re riding. Private lands is any time and public you’ll have to check the location.. most public lands are October through May, some are September through April and there are a few which are open to red stickers year round. Here’s BLMs calendar http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

I don’t know about the tax thing, I don’t think they’re taxed any different. I have a 16 450 xc which is red stickered and it’s only $21 to register.

• Like 1

What part of the state are you moving to?

CA has some of the most varied terrain of any state. Within a few hours drive time you can ride wide open deserts, world class dunes, all the way into pine trees and single track and everything in between. If you have the money I say it’s worth it.

The KTM will be red stickered for sure. Green sticker bikes have to be CARB approved and from KTM those are all street legal so the 300 I’m 99% sure will be red no matter which model you get. (Edit just realized you already knew this)

As for when you can ride a red sticker bike it depends on where you’re riding. Private lands is any time and public you’ll have to check the location.. most public lands are October through May, some are September through April and there are a few which are open to red stickers year round. Here’s BLMs calendar http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20carb%20revised%20riding%20seasons.pdf

I don’t know about the tax thing, I don’t think they’re taxed any different. I have a 16 450 xc which is red stickered and it’s only $21 to register.

I’ll be in Oceanside. Thanks for clearing things up a bit.

I’ll be in Oceanside. Thanks for clearing things up a bit.

You’ll be a little north of me, I’m east of San Diego. There’s tons of riding in SoCal. Notable areas are the open desert like ocotillo and superstition, little further east is the sand of Glamis and Gordon’s well, north there are tons of areas in the San Bernardino area, look up places to ride around Bishop or Big Bear and up to Mammoth Mountain. That’s all within about a 3 hour drive for you. I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to where to ride but if you look you’ll find plenty to do.

• Like 1

You’ll be a little north of me, I’m east of San Diego. There’s tons of riding in SoCal. Notable areas are the open desert like ocotillo and superstition, little further east is the sand of Glamis and Gordon’s well, north there are tons of areas in the San Bernardino area, look up places to ride around Bishop or Big Bear and up to Mammoth Mountain. That’s all within about a 3 hour drive for you. I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to where to ride but if you look you’ll find plenty to do.

Awesome to hear that! I’ve heard some pretty good stuff about SoCal so I’m pretty pumped. That schedule is reassuring by the way. I thought it was more restricted. PA is totally laid back on this type of stuff. I mean as long as the state troopers can’t catch you you’re fine right?

Taxes on vehicles are definitely higher here. You can check on the dmv.ca.org site for the rates but if you’ll be in Oceanside (Pendleton?), you’ll likely pay 7+%. Registration for me is $52 for 2 years. I have a green sticker for my bike so I can ride all year round but to be honest, it’s so damn hot to ride inland during the late spring through fall that you may not want to anyway, in which case having the red sticker would be fine. And inland is where most of the riding is (it’s not along the coast where it’s cooler). I live just south of where you’ll be (Carlsbad) and work in Oceanside. Welcome to the area.

• Like 1

Think about it this way, Can you ride in PA during the REALLY cold months (Dec-Feb)? My Cousins in NY complain they don't ride in the middle of winter (which is the best time to ride in CA in my opinion).  We ride all through the winter and typically don't ride that much from June-Sept (hottest months) though there are places.  The riding seasons are comparable in length, just different times of the year.

If you want to ride in the summer, you can go out to the desert or up to the Sierras, they just usually aren't "day-trip" close to urban areas.

Edited by firefinch

7 hours ago, SDRick said:

Although there is a lot of riding within about 3 hours, Bishop and Mammoth aren’t some of them.  Bishop will be over 6 hours, and add at least another hour to get to Mammoth.  Even Kennedy Meadows will be close to 6 hours from O’side.  Your best summer riding will be Arrowhead/Big Bear area in the San Bernardino NF.  But I believe it is not open to Red Sticker during the summer.  And they have rangers there that are pretty aggressive.  Mid week, you should be okay with a red sticker bike.  Weekends, not so much.  Your best bet during summer with a red sticker is Kennedy Meadows.  Excellent riding.  Make a long weekend of it.  If you really want to ride without restriction, get a street legal KTM or Beta.  Then you can go anywhere, anytime.  There is some great DS riding in the Anza Borrego SP, only a couple of hours from O’side.  I do a really fun 125 mile loop beginning and ending outside Ranchita.  Except for Ocotillo Wells, you need a plate to access the 600,000 acres that Anza Borrego SP has to offer.

• Like 1

So I’m moving to California around December time frame and I’ll live there for about a year and a half then move to Pennsylvania for good.

Where are you at now?

Is it possible to get a license plate for a 2-stroke bike where you are currently living?

If so, buy the bike there, plate it, ship it to CA, make everyone here jealous of your plated 300.

I'm guessing that you are military - if so you'll have no issues with having an out of state plated vehicle.

• Like 2

Where are you at now?

Is it possible to get a license plate for a 2-stroke bike where you are currently living?

If so, buy the bike there, plate it, ship it to CA, make everyone here jealous of your plated 300.

I'm guessing that you are military - if so you'll have no issues with having an out of state plated vehicle.

This is actually brilliant
  • Like 1

Where are you at now?

I’m in Japan so it’s pretty much impossible to get a bike out here. That is a good idea. I could talk to a buddy back in PA about that.

On 10/26/2018 at 6:53 AM, socaldiablo said:

Taxes on vehicles are definitely higher here. You can check on the dmv.ca.org site for the rates but if you’ll be in Oceanside (Pendleton?), you’ll likely pay 7+%. Registration for me is $52 for 2 years. I have a green sticker for my bike so I can ride all year round but to be honest, it’s so damn hot to ride inland during the late spring through fall that you may not want to anyway, in which case having the red sticker would be fine. And inland is where most of the riding is (it’s not along the coast where it’s cooler). I live just south of where you’ll be (Carlsbad) and work in Oceanside. Welcome to the area.

Too hot? A rider you are not

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, its the Riddler said:

Put him on the pre season riding, only during "Riding" season list  . Whatever the F that is. Someone better tell the baddest motha MXer's on da planet, that they race during the  "OFF SEASON" ?  

• Like 1

Some of the best riding is on camp pen. I’m a retired GSgt and was stationed there for about 14 years. Get a plated bike it’s the only way to go around there. Plenty of riding and lots of Marines to ride with. Better yet get yourself to the combat motorcycle course and ride at work. I was one and even rode in Africa and the Middle East

• Like 4

15 hours ago, its the Riddler said:

You stand corrected ...I've been riding for decades, both dirt and street bikes.  To those who like to ride in 110+ F temps, good for them.  I personally don't care for it and was making a factual statement to someone who's moving here from out of the area.  I was not trying to solicit negative feedback.  My guess is you live out there and want to defend it?  Maybe jealous b/c you don't live near the coast?  And to the other poster (halzilla?) with that rambling nonsense, I don't know what to make of that.  Let's try and keep this post on topic for farmerjoe96.

• Like 1