Rookie starting question

New to the XR650R. I find it clumsy to start because of how tall it is. I’m 6’ 1”+ but struggle a bit holding it up while kick-starting - afraid I’m going to fall over to the right. Is it possible, or even common, to start while it’s still on the kick stand? The kick stand looks heavy duty, but I don’t want to overstress it.

I'm 6' and dont have an issue, I usually have to lean the bike over a bit to throw my leg over and then lean it to the left just a bit while kicking but never felt like I was going over lol.

Guess I just need some practice and to start a bike-starting workout regimen #becauseoldguy.

1 hour ago, dbryant61 said:

Guess I just need some practice and to start a bike-starting workout regimen #becauseoldguy.

And that's exactly why I bought an XR650L.  You still have to get the choke and everything set correctly, but pushing the starting button isn't exactly a workout.  I'm going riding today with someone on an XR650R, so I'll have to observe how he does it.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:55 AM, dbryant61 said:

New to the XR650R....Is it possible, or even common, to start while it’s still on the kick stand?

Yes...not common, but definitely possible without doing damage to the stand or mount.  We have two customers that can't do it any other way.

Lean left far enough to center your weight over the stand but not far enough to begin to let the suspension begin to unload.  This will keep the stand acting as just a stiff leg to send all your force into the kicker instead of it being soaked up by the suspension.  

I simply sit on the bike and start it ?...cannot see how on earth you could struggle if your my height ?

My bike was set up for someone my weight (220) and stiffly. Seat does not drop much when I hop on. It’s probably just a practice thing. I have not ridden a lot for a while.