bellracing2

2017 rmx 450 overheating in super tight single track

anyone else have issues with overheating in slow single track ? what did you do ? fan kit , looks like any fan will have to go onto the lh radiator as the rh side looks cramped for space . bike is 100% stock with the limiter pin removed in throttle body . baffle and airbox snorkel are still on bike . 

Yes I have the same problem.i tried the trail tech fan kit and broke a radiator.then I put on the oversized radiators but still overheated on some really tight single track in a hedge row.i saw the coolant leaking on the ground.it was about 90f that day.it seems to me when I get into really tight single track I get into trouble with overheating,but once I get out I do ok.beginner rider.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, Robert Poppe said:

Yes I have the same problem.i tried the trail tech fan kit and broke a radiator.then I put on the oversized radiators but still overheated on some really tight single track in a hedge row.i saw the coolant leaking on the ground.it was about 90f that day.it seems to me when I get into really tight single track I get into trouble with overheating,but once I get out I do ok.beginner rider.

how did the trail tech break a radiator ? i noticed the stock radiator cap is only a 1.1 bar . i have a 1.8 bar on the way and a trail tech fan kit . hopefully that will do the trick . you have any pics of how you mounted your fan kit ? 

When I tried to slide the copper heat piece into my radiator I broke some small fins and fluid came out.my fault.i think I’ll try a again this winter.the fan I thought would only fit on left side.after I damaged radiator I replaced them with oversized and only overheated once in really tight track when it was +90f.when I get into tight single I start to have problems lol.you know like crashing lol.no pictures of installed kit.

Edited by Robert Poppe
Added more
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Robert Poppe said:

When I tried to slide the copper heat piece into my radiator I broke some small fins and fluid came out.my fault.i think I’ll try a again this winter.the fan I thought would only fit on left side.after I damaged radiator I replaced them with oversized and only overheated once in really tight track when it was +90f.when I get into tight single I start to have problems lol.you know like crashing lol.no pictures of installed kit.

i just got my fan in today , and the 1.8 bar radiator cap . hopefully ill get it installed before the weekend . trying to get all the fall yardwork done before it gets too cold . 

On 10/31/2018 at 7:43 PM, Robert Poppe said:

Don’t blame you I’ll be putting mine in basement soon to do suspension and try that fan again.

im doing the fan this weekend 

I too had that problem once, heard some gurgling. Didn't last long since right after that I was out in the open again. Wasn't really all that warm out either. I will be interested in hearing how the fan and cap work to correct that.

My KTM 250F used to overhead on hot days in tight trails. In the KTM manual, they have a trouble shooting section. You know, if it won't start, turn on the gas, etc. Under "overheats when going slow" it says "go faster"
So that is the official KTM answer. Probably will work on your RMX as well.

5 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

My KTM 250F used to overhead on hot days in tight trails. In the KTM manual, they have a trouble shooting section. You know, if it won't start, turn on the gas, etc. Under "overheats when going slow" it says "go faster"

Haha, Brilliant! Yeah, it kinda sucks being a newbie, and an old one at that!

9 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I’ll try that out😁