1990 XR250R - Fork Reassembly Question

Been reading a bunch from the site - great info!  I searched but didn't find my particular issues.

Pulled my stock '90 XR250 forks apart (this forum provided the broom handle trick... worked great!).  Seals replaced and started to reassemble.  

I add that little aluminum "cap" to the bottom of the damping rod and slide the fork tube over the damping rod.  When I go to thread the allen bolt at the bottom of the tube - the "cap" and damping rod dont appear to be all the way seated... and wont seat so I can start threading the allen bolt.  I tired to put some "compression" at the end of the damping rod but it still doesnt seat.  What am I missing?  

thanks!! 🍺 🍺 🍺 

Huh... funny you say that bc neither do I - DOH!

These are not my year forks (of course) but, the piece I am referring to is at 4:25mins in the video:

Oh, the oil lock piece. #20 in the diagram. The diagram places it in a weird place in the break down and it doesn't look like a "cap" that I was expecting.

How are you trying to reinstall it? Putting it on the end of the rod and then inserting it into the fork tube? Dropping it by itself down into the tube, then inserting the rod? You may just be not holding your mouth right. I can't think of a reason why you'd have a problem.

I have tried multiple ways (including the two you mentioned). Something is just not letting it seat.

One thought i had was maybe "bushing" that goes at the top of the damper tube... there is a sort of collar style bushing up there and maybe thats not seating properly or at all??

The diagram is weird for this part as well... its a bushing that sits at the widest part of the damping tube.

Ok... well... time to admint my dumbassness...

reassemble goes like this...

1. lower fork tube... drop in "oil lock" (i referred to it as a "cap")

2. insert upper fork tube in lower fork tube and set oil seal, set dust seal, metal ring, and finally the snap ring

3. follow the manual  :D ...

In a nut shell, i needed to drop that oil lock in the lower tube in step #1! ... DOH!

Thanks for helping Trailryder42.... 🍺

... EDIT:  My assumption as to why the "oil lock" is placed is a weird diagram is due to when, in assemble process, its placed in the lower fork tube 

Edited by dtrain.