51 or 52 tooth sprocket for technical trails?

Hey guys. I ride an 04 RM250. I’m running stock gearing 13x50 on a stock length 114 link chain. I ride primarily rocky, hilly, technical trails in the Ozark mountains. I want to go a bit larger on the rear. I want to get first gear a little lower for super tight technical riding, and to get 2nd and 3rd gears in the sweet spot for most of what I do. Couple questions...

What combo do you guys use for similar terrain/riding on your RM250’s?

Will a 52 tooth fit on a 114 chain? My chain is like new.

Thanks

MXR, I went to 51 from stock and didn't really notice much. I think if you want to make more of a difference than I'd suggest going to 52. RM ATV has a chart I recall that tells you what length chain you can use with the size of the sprocket.

Do you have a fly wheel weight? That and a Gnarly pipe made the biggest difference bringing the power down low for lugging steep, tight single track. I rarely have to feather the clutch when climbing.

• Like 1

I got a 2004 RM125 as well and tried to put a 52 tooth rear sprocket on and it kept hitting the rear chain guide (teeth) that is. 

Has anyone else put on a 52 tooth???

I need a flywheel weight on my 2004 RM250 as well it is handful to say.

Edited by ar2stroke

3 hours ago, MXR said:

Hey guys. I ride an 04 RM250. I’m running stock gearing 13x50 on a stock length 114 link chain. I ride primarily rocky, hilly, technical trails in the Ozark mountains. I want to go a bit larger on the rear. I want to get first gear a little lower for super tight technical riding, and to get 2nd and 3rd gears in the sweet spot for most of what I do. Couple questions...

What combo do you guys use for similar terrain/riding on your RM250’s?

Will a 52 tooth fit on a 114 chain? My chain is like new.

Thanks

I got a 52 Renthal sprocket tried on the 125 it hit the chain guide and looks like you got to run the rear wheel all the way back. You need a longer chain I am going to try it again. Goin to order a 120 link uncut chain.

• Like 1

I got a 52 Renthal sprocket tried on the 125 it hit the chain guide and looks like you got to run the rear wheel all the way back. You need a longer chain I am going to try it again. Goin to order a 120 link uncut chain.

That’s nice to know. I have a 52 that I bought cheap on a clearance not knowing that. I will slap on a 51 then. You saved me time and frustration :-))

50 is perfect for me I can lug in second super easy, my 03 has a ton of bottom tho I guess it depends on rider.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MXR said:

That’s nice to know. I have a 52 that I bought cheap on a clearance not knowing that. I will slap on a 51 then. You saved me time and frustration :-))

I will try it again after gettin a new Chain 120 links (then be able to verify see what will work). Just did not like the idea of having the rear wheel all the way back.

• Like 1

MXR, I went to 51 from stock and didn't really notice much. I think if you want to make more of a difference than I'd suggest going to 52. RM ATV has a chart I recall that tells you what length chain you can use with the size of the sprocket.
Do you have a fly wheel weight? That and a Gnarly pipe made the biggest difference bringing the power down low for lugging steep, tight single track. I rarely have to feather the clutch when climbing.

Yes. I have a steahly flywheel on it, plus I’ve had it professional ported to smooth the powerband out, and the squish band adjusted to get a little more lowend. I’m running a fatty that came with it. I also have the jetting pretty sorted for bottom and mid. I ride technical, hilly trails, so I’m trying to get first gear a bit shorter and tighten the spread between the gears
  • Like 1

50 is perfect for me I can lug in second super easy, my 03 has a ton of bottom tho I guess it depends on rider.

I can lug on most of the stuff I ride, but I go up some pretty steep rock ledges where I wish I had a little shorter first gear and a bit more ease in getting the front wheel up and over stuff when I clutch it. My pilot, needle, and air screw jetting is pretty spot on, which helps a lot.