how to tighten primary drive gear nut?

There is no forum on how to tighten these nuts. Only how to take them off with an impact. I dont want to put an impact on it to tighten it because I want to torque it to correctly with my torque wrench and dont want to &%$#@! anything up. How do you do this without buying the oem honda gear holder tool? Can I buy that tusk clutch holder tool and grab the clutch basket when it joins with the primary gear to stop it from spinning?

Edited by Ktm520sxrider

Wedge a small piece of aluminium or copper (like a washer) between the primary drive gear and the clutch basket gear,

it will lock them together and allow for tightening of the bolt.   (maybe add a drop of Loctite on that bolt for good measure)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 6

I just either hold the rod tight and hit with 1/2" electric impact or hold clutch basket with hand . Not hard. This pic is how i tighten hub nut with impact too. Just apply pressure to plate and hold with hand done in two seconds 

20180911_101808.jpg

• Like 1

There may not be a forum that tells you how to tighten these nuts, but there are these paper things called shop manuals that tell you exactly how to do it...at least if you own a Yamaha. Can't say for a Honda. Piece of aluminum or a penny is actually the recommended method.

And just an FYI, personally I don't tighten any torqued nut with an impact wrench unless it's a lug nut. But that's just me. :ride:

• Like 2

I let the kid down the street use my 1/2'' , 20 volt Dewalt impact gun to tighten his flywheel nut and he snapped off the end of his crank.   :facepalm:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

I let the kid down the street use my 1/2'' , 20 volt Dewalt impact gun to tighten his flywheel nut and he snapped off the end of his crank.   :facepalm:

?!!! Why was he using it on his crank? At that age I always used my hand unless I could get a date. Kids these days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, LSHD said:

There may not be a forum that tells you how to tighten these nuts, but there are these paper things called shop manuals that tell you exactly how to do it...at least if you own a Yamaha. Can't say for a Honda. Piece of aluminum or a penny is actually the recommended method.

And just an FYI, personally I don't tighten any torqued nut with an impact wrench unless it's a lug nut. But that's just me. :ride:

That's why I said I'm not buying the OEM gear holder tool for 80$ that the manual says to use so obviously I use my manual lol. Thanks for the input though. I didnt think of that penny method. it's a great idea. Wonder why nobody talks about that method. I couldn't even find any forum on it.

Edited by Ktm520sxrider
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

Lol that's why I'm never using an impact on stuff like this. I used it on my xs650 build for the clutch pack nut but only a quick zap with the impact nothing crazy.

6 minutes ago, Ktm520sxrider said:

Lol that's why I'm never using an impact on stuff like this. I used it on my xs650 build for the clutch pack nut but only a quick zap with the impact nothing crazy.

Done hundreds of engines with impact.  Flywheel nut,primary bolt/nut, clutch hub nut and counter shaft nut/bolt. No special tool or holder needed can hold with hand if tough enough i geuss 🤣 you just dont go crazy with one the electric ones not as powerful as air one but still its a feel thing. Never had problems myself but to each there own

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Done hundreds of engines with impact.  Flywheel nut,primary bolt/nut, clutch hub nut and counter shaft nut/bolt. No special tool or holder needed can hold with hand if tough enough i geuss 🤣 you just dont go crazy with one the electric ones not as powerful as air one but still its a feel thing. Never had problems myself but to each there own

Yeah your right just cant be an idiot when you use that tool. Id just prefer that penny method because I have a torque wrench I used for everything else and I like going by the book. it really is all about the feel with the impact. You can definitely tell when its tight enough to know not to overdo it but i just feel more comfortable torquing it with my wrench👌

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ktm520sxrider said:

Yeah your right just cant be an idiot when you use that tool. Id just prefer that penny method because I have a torque wrench I used for everything else and I like going by the book. it really is all about the feel with the impact. You can definitely tell when its tight enough to know not to overdo it but i just feel more comfortable torquing it with my wrench👌

Understood 👍

• Like 1

Although for this particular task I'd pick the wedge method and a torque wrench, 

an experienced mechanic that works daily with an impact drill will get a good feel of how much is enough for the job.

For many years I worked at a truck assembly plant (Kenworth/Peterbilt) and you would be surprised with all 

the somewhat delicate stuff that is put together with an impact (dashboards, interior liners and trim panels etc.) many even using plastics fasteners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ktm520sxrider said:

That's why I said I'm not buying the OEM gear holder tool for 80$ that the manual says to use so obviously I use my manual lol. Thanks for the input though. I didnt think of that penny method. it's a great idea. Wonder why nobody talks about that method. I could even find any forum on it.

Reading comprehension fail on my part. Yamaha manual does reference an OEM part, a $3 square of aluminum. 🙂

Glad you asked about this. Probably saved several people money. And hopefully some will also learn the ridks of using an impact for tightening. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Reading comprehension fail on my part. Yamaha manual does reference an OEM part, a $3 square of aluminum. 🙂

Glad you asked about this. Probably saved several people money. And hopefully some will also learn the ridks of using an impact for tightening. 

It's a pretty cool tool to have if you build these every day but yeah I'm gonna jam the penny in it instead haha

Screenshot_20181027-102257_Firefox.jpg

42 minutes ago, Ktm520sxrider said:

It's a pretty cool tool to have if you build these every day but yeah I'm gonna jam the penny in it instead haha

Screenshot_20181027-102257_Firefox.jpg

Wow! That’s a nifty doodad. I’m not sure it’s worth 7200 pennies though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ktm520sxrider said:

Wonder why nobody talks about that method. I couldn't even find any forum on it.

Because its a great way to break a gear tooth, or bend a shaft, fracture the case
If your not going to use the proper tool at least jam the gears with a tool that takes advantage of full even tooth contact and does so in a normal manner like in use.. not wedging the gears apart with uneven tooth pressure points.

image.png.9d1a7f046cb5cf5c93b3d43417ca0da0.png

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Because its a great way to break a gear tooth, or bend a shaft, fracture the case
If your not going to use the proper tool at least jam the gears with a tool that takes advantage of full even tooth contact and does so in a normal manner like in use.. not wedging the gears apart with uneven tooth pressure points.

image.png.9d1a7f046cb5cf5c93b3d43417ca0da0.png

How many pennies is that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3