Yz250, should i buy it?

Hey guys, im hoping that u guys can offer some advice as i know little about yz250s. Long story short, i looked at a 2007 yz250 this week for 2500.i have to make my decision by tomorrow afternoon or it gets sold to someone else. The bike looks nice and doesnt seem to have a terrible amount of hours on it(no boot scuffing on the clutch cover, not much scuffing on the shock reservoir)the bike also had good power and high compression. Here are some things that did feel worn out.

-linkage bearings had a fair amount of play in them

-front wheel bearings are bad

-shock has a minor glaze of oil on the shaft

-when i first started engaging the clutch, the bike stalled(felt like it would engage super quickly, dont know if thats normal on a yz or if its because it sat for the last 6 months

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Those loose bearings are an indication of poor maintenance to me. Not saying you shouldn’t buy it, but I’d be in for $1800-2000 tops. Some markets are different, but that’s a 12 year old bike now and better deals are out there. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I would pass. Buy from a guy who maintained his bike. You might pay $3000, but you won't have to spend many hours and a few dollars getting everything fixed. If front wheel bearings are bad enough to notice, owner has absolutely neglected the hell out of the bike. It's a 30 minute/$20 fix, including drinking a few beers.

On that bike you'd need to do linkage and wheel bearings, rear shock rebuild, replace notched clutch basket, etc., minimum. Who knows what else is bad?

I look for excellent maintenance signs, like safety-wired parts, properly torqued matched nuts and bolts with witness marks, etc.

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think I would pass. Buy from a guy who maintained his bike. You might pay $3000, but you won't have to spend many hours and a few dollars getting everything fixed. If front wheel bearings are bad enough to notice, owner has absolutely neglected the hell out of the bike. It's a 30 minute/$20 fix, including drinking a few beers.
On that bike you'd need to do linkage and wheel bearings, rear shock rebuild, replace notched clutch basket, etc., minimum. Who knows what else is bad?
I look for excellent maintenance signs, like safety-wired parts, properly torqued matched nuts and bolts with witness marks, etc.
Yeah, i think i might pass it up. I still have an 01 cr250 that i rebuilt from the ground up, so im not hurting for a bike anyhow. I would just like to get myself on somethin newer, thats all. But, i can wait it out
  • Like 1

somethings to consider, any time someone is trying to rush you into making a buying decision, it's probably best to let the "bargain" go to someone else..in my opinion.

Sellers know often inexperienced buyers get excited @ the prospect of buying a new bike. Emotion can cause buyers to jump into a deal, where some contemplative thinking may give pause to question whether it is , in fact a bike worth buying.

1) it's the end of riding season, in most states, & there are many/ lots of bikes for sale.

2) Often, sellers want to rush a sale cause they know the longer you look @ their bike, the more you'll find things that need attention.

3) you'll have all winter long to look for deals..there are a lot more bikes for sale than there are buyers to buy them.

my $.02..

• Like 3

Pass. If you can tell the linkage bearings are loose, they are really loose. 

• Like 1

Offer him $2000.  You can drop less than $1000 into that bike which would include sending the engine off to someone like Eric Gorr, and have a virtually new bike that with the engine work is better than a '19

• Like 1

50 Wheel bearings and seal

175 Link and swing arm bearing kits/seals

110 Clutch pack

Know how? 

What did the air filter and air box look like? Dirty PASS!!!

Depending on the area, 22-25 is average price. 

For 2K more you can get an 2011-13.

• Like 1

I passed it up. Ill let somebody else deal with the issues. Not that i mind working on bikes, but i dont want a roached out peice of crap that i have to rebuild from the ground up

Yea, you don't want to end up with a ton more money in it than its worth in the end. then you would be sitting there wishing you had bought a newer one. I paid $3k for my 08 yz250 a couple years ago. it was pretty mint looking and the guy said he rode it since new maybe 45 hrs. I did find some scratches in the cylinder that required a replate, but its been running like a r8ped ape ever since.