2019 Beta 500 RR-S charging problems. What should i look for

Hi, 

i picked up my bike yesterday and the battery was too low to start the bike by evening. 

It also has several coolant leaks but thats another story. 

The charging system doesnt seem to have enough power to keep up while trail riding. I charged the battery and watched my voltage drop from 12.8 to 10v over an hour of brisk trail riding. 

I charged it again and disconnected the head light and it charged the battery from 12.5 to 13.1 volts. 

So the system is working just not enough. 

Does anyone have the specs or a wiring diagram to help me troubleshoot it? I wont have time to take it back to tge dealer before a long dualsport trip next week. 

Thanks

Heres the schematic to my 2017 beta 500

IMG_1224.JPG

check your grounds, you should be 13.1 - 13.7 try turning your bars from one side to the other also. You might have some kindbof intermittent short.

Good luck mann

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Talk to your dealer . 

https://www.betausa.com/content/support

Yes, I will be doing that as soon as they open today.

@Surfer Dude,

Thanks for the schematic! I will be going through the entire bike today. I am hoping Betas are engineered better than they are built.

I found an old thread where people were complaining about the liPo batteries and weak charging systems. I havent finished reading it yet. Spec on the 500 is 200W charging system capacity. That should be more than enough to run the fan, lights and heated accessories etc while still charging the battery. Have you found your charging system to be adequate?

• Like 1

Yeah ive had no problems other than the original battery died, and my lipo replacement went into hibernation, so firepower warranteed it.

I also put my lights on a blackout switch and i put my fan on a manual switch so i can activate it whenever i want or just let the stock thermo switch handle it

This saves the battery when im out thrashin

Yeah apparently motorcycle LiPo battery technology just isnt here yet. Maybe Tesla , Toyota, Alta or Lightning can give them a hand with it.

I think Im gonna get a Lead acid battery to put in it for trips out past civilization. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go_outside said:

Yeah apparently motorcycle LiPo battery technology just isnt here yet. Maybe Tesla , Toyota, Alta or Lightning can give them a hand with it.

I think Im gonna get a Lead acid battery to put in it for trips out past civilization. 

Li works great. Have had over a dozen on a group of bike for 14 years now.  They last about 4 years with no tendering and no maintenence.

The stock battery is pretty cheap-o. 

• Like 2

I have a 2018 500,bought new.Same issue turned out to be a defective battery. Seriously doubt there's anything wrong with the charging system!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, Go_outside said:

Don't forget to pack your torch and spear either. ;)

I’m over with buying lithium batteries. I bought a bunch of high end ones.  They cost more and don’t last longer. With efi Betas bring one of those starter packs and keep in the backpack just in case. If its the battery giving problems get another one and have it charged before the ride. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, WILLY THE WORT said:

Li works great. Have had over a dozen on a group of bike for 14 years now.  They last about 4 years with no tendering and no maintenence.

The stock battery is pretty cheap-o. 

Whats the magic brand?

9 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I’m over with buying lithium batteries. I bought a bunch of high end ones.  They cost more and don’t last longer. With efi Betas bring one of those starter packs and keep in the backpack just in case. If its the battery giving problems get another one and have it charged before the ride. 

I had the same experience with agm batteries in my klr. I went through three in two years before returning to a sealed lead acid that was still in the bike when i sold it. 

For one year i rode 3-4 times a week and the other year it sat on a battery tender more than i rode it. That bike had a voltmeter that i watched and it always charged above 13v. 

Im tempted to put a lead acid on the beta. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go_outside said:

Whats the magic brand?

I had the same experience with agm batteries in my klr. I went through three in two years before returning to a sealed lead acid that was still in the bike when i sold it. 

For one year i rode 3-4 times a week and the other year it sat on a battery tender more than i rode it. That bike had a voltmeter that i watched and it always charged above 13v. 

Im tempted to put a lead acid on the beta. 

I went back to lead acid. I spent way over a grand on top expensive lithium batteries multiple times figuring that was better. It’s lighter and more expensive and doesn’t last longer in my experience.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, Go_outside said:

My experience is the Lead based batteries will die just as easily if the charging circuit isn't up to the load. My OEM MotoBatt went flat out on the trail and a buddy of mine had the exact same thing happen to his Motobatt in his 500 RR-S, only his wouldn't even revive, just flat, probably an open circuit inside. We had to jump start his bike with my jump pack then he rode it the rest of the day on the charging circuit.

Personally I've had good experiences with multiple Shorai LiFe batteries as long as the charging circuit is working well, preferably putting out at least 13.75v and preferably 14v. 

I recently put a AntiGravity ATZ-8 cell in my Beta so it will be my first dance with AntiGravity, hope it goes as well as it has with the Shorai's.

The only conditions I think lead based batteries are superior is in cold temps, particularly below 40 deg F.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, Go_outside said:

I wont have time to take it back to the dealer before a long dual sport trip next week. 

How was your trip and how did the bike do?  I believe you went to the ride in Nevada. 

The trip was a success!

The Beta is charging well enough after adding that ground jumper and the headlight kill switch. I am still going to bypass the harness from the R/R to the battery for added peace of mind. The LED headlight (rated at 40W) made a world of difference in nightime visibility too. 

For anyone who might read this. 
The 2019 is wired differently than past years. 

Any comments on what the differences are in the wiring?

No capacitor or diode bank and a chopped wire at the starter relay plug. I didnt dig any further.