Go_outside

2019 Beta 500 RR-S charging problems. What should i look for

Yeah, I did the headlight unplug thing with similar results.  I also considered it a band aid fix that may be just enough to ignore a poor connection, regulator issue, or junk stock battery (2019 RRS-500).  Keep us informed on the outcome of Beta's inspection.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:12 AM, rharr said:

FYI

If only they would read the thread. Some times I think folks on here just want someone to talk to. 

Not sure what I can contribute, but I own a '17 300rr and recently bought a '16 350rr that was a demo bike when new, rebuilt and sold as a "new bike". I bought it from that owner with only 5 hours on it a few months ago...so essentially still a "new bike" but 4 years old. 

Anyway, after riding the battery always kept dying. Changed to a Shorai and still same thing. Checked voltage at idle, highest was 12.9v. Down to 12.3-12.6 in neutral at higher rpm.

I soldered the 7 splices in my harness (2 by headlight, 5 under tank and by battery) added a ground from regulator ground to frame, added another ground from battery - to starter bolt and now I idle at 13.6-13.7.

Weird thing here is if I then turn my headlight On I instantly go from 13.7 to 13.9 v at the battery post...not sure why the increase in voltage when the headlight is physically illuminated. I get the same result if I add a jumper from the battery + to the 3 grey/black wires on the 6 wire diode pack.

Sorry, not sure if I helped but that's all I can contribute on this.

• Helpful 1

Jankyl29,

Thanks for the reply, this absolutely helps. Although I unplugged the headlight my voltage is still dropping well below 12V when the fan kicks on “no headlight”. My next step is getting in to all the crimps and soldering everything. This sounds like the ultimate “fix”