PGM-FI Questions?

Hey guys, I just bought a brand new PGM-FI unit for my 2010 crf450r. The bike won't start and the shop told me the PGM-FI unit was bad (or and) my fuel pump isn't being powered. My question is, if i'm suppose to map the PGM-FI first or can i just put it in my bike and start it? If i do need to do stuff to the PGM-FI before putting in my bike; where, what, and how do i do it?

No, the ECU is plug and play. But, if it doesn't play...I'm curious about the fuel pump issue.

One the condenser plug, there's a red and black wire coming off. If you connect 12v to it, with or without the ECU, the fuel pump should run. Red is the positive, the black is the ground. Or you can ground to the foot peg, chassis etc. If it doesn't, you need to figure out why the pump isn't running first. Car battery, a battery charger, something like that. I use a 14v transformer/power supply I got for like 12 bucks for stuff like this.

You can unplug the condenser and go Black wire to positive and green is ground. What Id do is, first, try it with green as ground, if you get nothing, check with the negative on the chassis. Still nothing, pull the pump and check for voltage at the pump connector. That would verify your harness, quality of ground etc. Clean the grounds off (the green wires that are bolted to the chassis). The tiniest bit of corrosion there (dissimilar metals do that, brass lug and aluminum chassis) will give you fits. Most of this stuff is nothing more than bad connections.