Electric or engine problem?

So I tried to start my drz400sm and I just got a click, but with a jump from a car I could get it to turn over, a half turn at a time.  If I try to bump start it, the back wheel just skids, like the engine is locked up.  Also it is extremely hard to push the bike in first gear with the clutch in, but fine in neutral.  I replaced the battery and that's definitely not it.  Any ideas?

We only know what you tell us and you have not told us much. Please post a full history of the bike.  When was the last time it ran? What has been done recently?
Stored inside or outside?  What does "clutch in" mean?  Clutch engaged or disengaged?

It's a daily driver with 3k miles stored outside with a cover.  Clutch in means pulling the left lever. It has always run perfectly, and has a lithium battery with 210 cca.  It had been sitting overnight.

OK.  Pushing in 1st gear clutch lever pulled in is probably normal - clutch drag.

Erik's post above assumes probably hydo locked with gasoline which is a good guess for a motorcycle that normally runs fine and just parked over night.  Many many posts on leaky fuel valves coupled with leaky carb float valve causing gasoline to leak into the motor and hydo lock the piston.  Remove the spark plug and see if the motor spits fuel out from the spark plug hole as you crank it over.  What position was the fuel valve set on when parked?

Post your results.

Hydrolocked sounds like a good possibility, unfortunately I lent my tools to a friend and won't be able to check till tomorrow or Monday.  Think I might have blown a fuse as the starter button does nothing now.  

Yeah, there was a ton of fuel smell and possibly leaking fuel down the swingarm on the left hand side, there was fuel or oil or both on the swingarm, and the bike is usually clean.

Does the S model come with tools to take the spark plug out?  If not, it is a bit of a struggle to come up with the right combination of sockets and extensions to reach the plug.  If you are not going to work on it right away, I suggest you make sure the petcock is set to ON or RES and not PRI.  Also you might just disconnect the fuel hose and plug it so no more gas can flood into the motor (assuming that might be the problem).

The Suzuki plug wrench is just right for this task, beats heck out of cobbing together a variety of tools to get the plug out. At this point better than 90% that Erik and Noble have the issue nailed, fuel leaking by the float valve needle/seat.

Hydrolocked is just that locked up , it won't turn over completely , even slowly . If your getting the starter to turn the motor over completely , just going slow as it hits tdc , then faster till nearing tdc again, then slow way down till past tdc , speeds up , ect....(sort of loping) ,it isn't hydrolocked , so you can move on to other options . If it turns over a little bit then stops and nothing more happens at all then it's likely .  If you take the plug out , do not turn the motor over with the starter , push it with the motor in 1st gear so when the fuel sprays out the plug hole you won't have a sparkplug or ignition cap giving it a possible source of ignition .

If turning over steady , just the slow loping , like a dead'ish battery , check your cables for issues(corrosion, or any loose connections) .  I don't know if you have a high comp setup but I had to make my own heavier cables(4ga) for mine to allow the LiFe-PO4 battery to get enough juice to spin the thing faster . This was the 3rd bike I had to do this to when adding high comp and no decomp system ,which shows oem cables are barley good enough so adding better batteries and a need to draw more amps plus the losses from age , corrosion, a few broken strands here/there from flexing, ect.. , they limit what can get to the starter when it's needed . I made all cable and wires involving the starter system along with the relay "just in case"(from my 650 bikes with bigger starters).  Since yours wasn't having issues all along , cable size isn't the issue but I'd verify them .

By the 210cc number you stated I'm guessing you have a LiFe-PO4  Battery Tender battery , mine were rather crap (both the "240cc" version) , couldn't count on them unless the things sat on a charger so was 100% full, full, full charge . After 2 or 3 days it wouldn't always turn the bike over , just like your having issues with . Yet one of my other batteries , no such problem and they did it on several bikes but the Suzi was the worst ,3 or 4 days it had to be "charged" to even bother trying, meaning it has a parasitic drain , though small(always has since I've owned it) , is something those batteries can't seem to handle good. Voltage would still show 12.4-12.6v but motor would barely turn over (my higher comp setup exaggerates this issue more than a normal motor).

Edited by jjktmrider

Yeah, a more accurate description would be I got 2 more 1/2 turns out of it by adding more power.  Thanks for the tip on bumping the fuel out, this is a new one for me.  But it definitely sounds like it, I'll pull the plug tomorrow, found the wrench.

14 hours ago, Noble said:

Does the S model come with tools to take the spark plug out?

Yes it does. It even comes with service wrenches to remove/adjust the wheels.

22 hours ago, Geronimo M said:

Yeah, a more accurate description would be I got 2 more 1/2 turns out of it by adding more power.  Thanks for the tip on bumping the fuel out, this is a new one for me.  But it definitely sounds like it, I'll pull the plug tomorrow, found the wrench.

How did you make out , Waldo ?

I confirmed there was gas in the cylinder and that I've messed up something with the starter (relay? Fuse) no click, just lights dim.  Any tips on troubleshooting that, and how the fuel got in the cylinder?  I barely had any time for it today, but I'm setting aside some time tomorrow to really start looking at it.

The lights dim because the start button turns the lights off when it is depressed.  To get fuel out of the motor, you need to crank it over with the spark plug out using the starter or pushing it in gear (5th gear).  As for no crank or click from the starter relay, that could be several things.

Simple things - first, Battery charged?  Transmission in neutral and pull in the clutch lever. No joy? bypass the clutch switch interlock. No joy? jumper the 2 large terminals on the starter relay. Still no joy? either the starter motor or the motor itself is locked up.  Report results.

Gas leaked into the cylinder through a failed o-ring, located under the float valve needle seat. It could also be a leaking needle tip on the float valve, but this is pretty rare. Get the fuel out, fix the carb leakage, change the oil a few times. Don't try to crank the engine without removing the spark plug first.

Lots of help here and you have rec'd solid advice so far.

Edited by shuswap1

Thanks, sounds like I have most everything I need, can I order that o ring or do I have to get like a carb rebuild kit?  Would this be a good time to do the 3x3 mod?  Would the 3x3 needle kit include the part?