Found a 2017 crf450x for 8300.00 otd

Does this seem like a good deal?

Or be patient and pick up a 2019 crf450x once the price come down. The 2017 is a proven bike.

Just have the itch to get a new bike.

Also wondering how much it cost to desmog and open the 450x with a carb.

Any advice??

Or be patient and pick up a 2019 crf450x once the price come down. The 2017 is a proven bike.
Any advice??

$6500 would be a decent price. $8300 is a terrible deal.
  • Like 2

Any advice??

Desmog and re jet should cost a few hundred at the most. That will significantly improve power and throttle response. After that the cost to power ratio grows exponentially in price.

I would start with full desmog , air pump removal, air box mod and exhaust opening. See how you like the power and then take it from there.

Make sure to put the leak at 45-50.

The 'smog' equipment on the CRF250X and CRF450X is a simple air injection device, it does not restrict any power at all.

It sense engine vacuum and adds air to the exhaust stream when decelerating to complete the burn process.

Any benefits in removing it is simply the loose about 2lbs of weight and, declutter the engine and chassis from the valve and some tubes/air lines.

Block-off kits are generally expensive (60$) for what they actually are, a handful of shiny little bling parts.

You can block off everything yourself by brazing/JB Welding the exhaust flange,

fitting a pipe plug in the air inlet boot and, a proper sized bolt in the side of the intake port

The main reasons these bikes are corked up are,

-enclosed airbox (good for wet weather & water crossings, keeps filter clean for a long time)

-restrictive, quiet/spark arrestor muffler

-very lean factory jetting to pass emissions 

Start by an adjustable fuel screw and, going to richer needle and main jet settings.

Ride it and then decide if your want to trade off some airbox 'waterproofness' for more performance.

The CRF450X was 'quietly' discontinued in 2017, any new/leftovers still sitting in inventory 2 years later

should be had at a much discounted price.  8300$ OTD is not a very good deal.

As someone suggested, with that generation 250X & 450X, you are basically buying what is a brand new 2004 model.

Still great bikes but in the later year their MSRP way too high versus the newer / updated bikes from other manufacturers.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

$8300 would almost cover that shiney new ‘19 crfx. I wanted one but I got a decent plated 08 x till next year. There were 11 plated x’s recently for sale on Craigslist in so cal for less than $8300, one was going for $3500. They advertise a new ‘17 x for $6,699 in Huntington Beach Honda. Go cheap n wait like you said the price will come down. Having a street legal dirt bike is insanely fun

Edited by 5Rs
  • Like 1

$8300 would almost cover that shiney new ‘19 crfx. I wanted one but I got a decent plated 08 x till next year. There were 11 plated x’s recently for sale on Craigslist in so cal for less than $8300, one was going for $3500. They advertise a new ‘17 x for $6,699 in Huntington Beach Honda. Go cheap n wait like you said the price will come down. Having a street legal dirt bike is insanely fun

That’s the bike I saw at Huntington Beach
It’s a bait and switch
They add all the fees. He was originally at 8700.00 otd
I have tier one credit and 4K to put down and he’s said 8300.00 was the best he could do. To me it seems like it should be more like 7k otd
I’ve been seeing all those 450x plated bikes on Craigslist. The fact that they are plated means the probably have high hours in the street. I like buying new bikes because I know how to take care of them. I install an hour meter at day one.
I have a 2016 xr650l that I love. Desmoged carb mod open the air box..fmf slip on..ims pegs and tank..skid plate etc etc
Has 1350 miles just put it on Craigslist
If it doesn’t sell I’m keeping it. Then maybe pick up 2019 crf450r or 2019 crf450x or maybe even the crf450l once the price comes down.
All good options I guess. Bummer Huntington Beach won’t let that 2017 450x go for less.
I did have good luck with my used crf450r 2008.
Bought a crf450r new in 05. Both were great bikes. Guess it’s a waiting game.
What do you think the real price for that 2017 450x should be??
Thanks

How are everyone getting plates on the 450x.
Aaa ??
  • Like 1

I bought a 2017 450RX just as the 18's were coming out and got it for $8k OTD.  That's brand new technology.

The area you're in will dictate slightly different pricing, but that is a BAD deal for a 450X. No doubt though every dealer is looking to get rid of their old X's as fast as possible with the new ones coming out in a matter of days. It's an amazing bike, but I would not pay anything over $6,500 for a showroom new carbureted X.

• Like 2

I’m going to be mostly riding trails up in lake arrrowhead and big bear. Used to ride my 450r in the mountains and it was a blast. Is the 450x really geared that much better for Jeep trails etc? Also be riding some desert
Like joshua tree and ocotillo wells
Hmmm

21 minutes ago, bajacaat said:

I’m going to be mostly riding trails up in lake arrrowhead and big bear. Used to ride my 450r in the mountains and it was a blast. Is the 450x really geared that much better for Jeep trails etc? Also be riding some desert
Like joshua tree and ocotillo wells
Hmmm

450X gearing is good for slow but top anything over 60 MPH and it's revving pretty high. Needs a sixth gear or a taller 5th. Of course they use them in the Baja 1000 but they can rev the crap out of those motors and they're junked at the end of the race.

• Like 1

I bought a 2017 450RX just as the 18's were coming out and got it for $8k OTD.  That's brand new technology.

The area you're in will dictate slightly different pricing, but that is a BAD deal for a 450X. No doubt though every dealer is looking to get rid of their old X's as fast as possible with the new ones coming out in a matter of days. It's an amazing bike, but I would not pay anything over $6,500 for a showroom new carbureted X.

All most bought a 2017 rx of a buddy. Got kinda spooked hearing about a cracked frame issue I heard about on here. The bike is still available.

He wants 5k. He’s dual fmf exhaust and some other nice upgrades with 40 hours on it. It’s been raced a few times. It was maintained by Tokyo mods and he just had valves checked and oil service. Not sure how hard it was raced. 5k a decent price? Just do t want to rebuild a top end soon after buying it and also not sure about the cracked frame thing going around..heard it’s happened a few times at least...

2 hours ago, bajacaat said:

All most bought a 2017 rx of a buddy. Got kinda spooked hearing about a cracked frame issue I heard about on here. The bike is still available.

He wants 5k. He’s dual fmf exhaust and some other nice upgrades with 40 hours on it. It’s been raced a few times. It was maintained by Tokyo mods and he just had valves checked and oil service. Not sure how hard it was raced. 5k a decent price? Just do t want to rebuild a top end soon after buying it and also not sure about the cracked frame thing going around..heard it’s happened a few times at least...

I'd have to see it, but it sounds like a good price for what you described. 40 hours should not need a new piston unless the guy was a pro. Cracked frame or case? There was a possible issue with a return spring on the kickstarter that would crack the case if it failed, but it was only seen on R's from my knowledge because the RX had the electric start. I never had to kickstart my bike while I had it. 

I'd have to see it, but it sounds like a good price for what you described. 40 hours should not need a new piston unless the guy was a pro. Cracked frame or case? There was a possible issue with a return spring on the kickstarter that would crack the case if it failed, but it was only seen on R's from my knowledge because the RX had the electric start. I never had to kickstart my bike while I had it. 

Cracked frame. I think where the bolt goes from the swing arm into the frame. Just not sure I would want that in my head while flying through the whoops. Otherwise the bike would be in my garage right now. Now I’m thinking of picking up a crf450r 08. Keep my 650l for dual sport and call it a day.
Maybe sell the 650l in a year or so and pick up a used 450l.
Just wanted the rx to work out. It was in my price range..

First a CRF450X (trail/off-road, perhaps accepted as a dual-sport in some states)

then a CRF450L (dual-sport)

followed by a CRF450R/X (off-road race bike)

now considering a CRF450R (motocross race bike)

What is your exact usage as these are all bikes with somewhat very different intended purposes.

Just because it fits your budget doesn't mean it's the right bike for the job.

Edited by mlatour

I have a 450X. Love it. My son has a 2018 450R with E start. It is light years better in power, handling, suspension. I would buy the new X any day if it is based on the newer technology, especially EFI and a 6 speed, even if I have to save up a little more.

Edited by Leardriver
  • Like 2

First a CRF450X (trail/off-road, perhaps accepted as a dual-sport in some states)
then a CRF450L (dual-sport)
followed by a CRF450R/X (off-road race bike)
now considering a CRF450R (motocross race bike)

What is your exact usage as these are all bikes with somewhat very different intended purposes.
Just because it fits your budget doesn't mean it's the right bike for the job.

My original plan was to keep my 650l. It’s a great bike. Buy the rx for more extreme riding. I’ve owned a few crf450r. Finding out about the possible frame issue has sent me into a loop.
I believe the 450l would satisfy my needs. The dealers just want top dollar for the newly released bike. Im not riding on the street much anymore. So the 450l would be a great bike. Usually ride 10-15 miles to get to the dirt trails. I do 70% mountains riding and 30% desert. My crf450r did great on Jeep trails and desert riding. It was an 08. Should have never sold it. Searching Craigslist
For a clean 05-08 crf450r. Thinking I want the lightest bike possible for fun if I’m going to have to transport it to ride. I really want someone to tell me the crfrx frame issue is a fluke. That was my original choice with the bigger tank and 18” rear wheel. I think the 450x is out of the picture. It’s heavier and I would probably be just as happy on my 650l.
I’m starting to confuse myself lol
Anyhow, I appreciate the responses
Just don’t like buying used high performance bikes.
I guess time will tell[emoji106]

I have a 450X. Love it. My son has a 2018 450R with E start. It is light years better in power, handling, suspension. I would buy the new X any day if it is based on the newer technology, especially EFI and a 6 speed, even if I have to save up a little more.

I would love a 2019 crf450r a little out of my budget. Still have 2k I owe on my 2016 650l.
Can’t justify having payments on two bikes right now. I have 5k to spend. I definitely need a plated bike. Just looking for the best choice in the 5k range for a play bike[emoji106]
If I find a clean crf450r 08 I’ll probably jump on it.
One thing for sure it will be red.
Thanks