South Puget Sound winter men’s club: Wednesday riding

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, oldgrunt said:

I have some tools and experience for those tasks.   I also know a safe place to stage at on nearby private property, but you need the owners permission and his dog has to like you. 

If the dog unties your shoes while talking to the owner, you might be alright!

3 hours ago, Russ Henry said:

I am in if I don't go to AZ for the winter. Will know in two weeks. Also . Starting at 1p in the winter only gives us about 3 to 4 hours before dark. Can we start a couple hours earlier ? 10a ?

I'm in for a 10am. 1pm turns into 2 pm once everyone is ready it's dark at 4 pm so that's only 2 hours. Then the more guys the slower the pace stopping and waiting,  taking breaks and making adjustments. If you're lucky you might get a 15 to 20 mile ride in. Not even worth the drive out there for that.

10 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Retired guys could, but this opens it up to working guys so they can put morning hours into the office. Model works well at golf clubs. 

Starting earlier would be better for me

Edited by Russ Henry
I offended a fellow TT member
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I'm in for a 10am. 1pm turns into 2 pm once everyone is ready it's dark at 4 pm so that's only 2 hours. Then the more guys the slower the pace stopping and waiting,  taking breaks and making adjustments. If you're lucky you might get a 15 to 20 mile ride in. Not even worth the drive out there for that.

Tires rolling at 1pm. At worst, it's 3 hrs of light and then I turn on the Baja Lighting to finish the day. You guys wanna start earlier, fine. But I'm going to hit trail at 1pm because I need to work from about 7am until 11am to get office work and stuff done. So, I'm working half a day.... In spring it doesn't get dark until 7pm+ so 1pm is more than enough time. 

I quoted the Country Club model because it is effective, national, and it works. I'm not bringing it up for any elitist purposes and I'm a bit miffed someone would suggest that... I'm trying to do something that is good for the riding community, comments like that make me kinda regret bringing it up. Our men's day could be a great way for folks to meet others, fix damaged trail, and get better riding skills. The riding community only benefits from some unity, and I think this would be a good step in the right direction. 

• Helpful 1

44 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Tires rolling at 1pm. At worst, it's 3 hrs of light and then I turn on the Baja Lighting to finish the day. You guys wanna start earlier, fine. But I'm going to hit trail at 1pm because I need to work from about 7am until 11am to get office work and stuff done. So, I'm working half a day.... In spring it doesn't get dark until 7pm+ so 1pm is more than enough time. 

I quoted the Country Club model because it is effective, national, and it works. I'm not bringing it up for any elitist purposes and I'm a bit miffed someone would suggest that... I'm trying to do something that is good for the riding community, comments like that make me kinda regret bringing it up. Our men's day could be a great way for folks to meet others, fix damaged trail, and get better riding skills. The riding community only benefits from some unity, and I think this would be a good step in the right direction. 

I think this is a great idea. You do a lot more than any of us to promote cool rides and unity in the sport. I apologize to you and anyone else that was offended by my comment. I meant it to be self deprecating humor.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Russ Henry said:

I think this is a great idea. You do a lot more than any of us to promote cool rides and unity in the sport. I apologize to you and anyone else that was offended by my comment. I meant it to be self deprecating humor.

I was offended Russ.....but LUCKILY, was not far from my safe space !

Joe

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wednesday 14th will be our first official day

wheels rolling 1pm

park at elfendal 

If you wanna start earlier, just swing by at 1230 ish for planning

green Mtn Rider and Dutch can tell us what trail work needs some attention too. 

Based on participation I might have a cool idea or two to toss in there...

• Like 1

An idea I have is to bring extra wheels with a variety of tires on them so people can test different tires and TUbliss, Mousses, etc. I can probably get a local dealership and Nuetech to participate. 

I have 4 sets of rims front and rear, that will fit most KTM/Husky bikes. Since that is what most of us are riding anyways...

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, GreenMT_Rider said:

Been riding weekdays for the last 4 months 2 or 3 times a week. Parking at the elfendal staging area. Zero problems.

So far, so good but luck has a way of running out.  I have been the victim of many crimes in my lifetime and several of those have been break ins of vehicles left parked as well as theft of the entire vehicle, contents and all.  At the last Tahuya Focus meeting between DNR staff and the various clubs that use the trails,  DNR specifically warned us about the increased number of break ins and number of homeless people now attempting to live in the forest.  Granted that was back in warmer weather but the mobile tweaker activity in the whole Tahuya area is always present.  The only time I am comfortable leaving my van in a trailhead anymore is when there are a lot of users, such as in an organized event by one of the clubs.

25 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

If I was homeless I wouldn’t choose belfair Tahuya.

But I must be missing some intangible because the place is crawling with those poor victims of white evil rich dirt bikers that care little for society or the environment.../s

Problem is the homeless population is exploding around the region. I used to laugh at the lunacy of Seattle politics until I found out that the Seattle city govt is quietly shipping their homeless to outlying areas. The new Bartell drugs in downtown North Bend almost went out of business because they have had so many tweakers do a "grab and run". After talking with a clerk there that has to call the local police on a daily basis I found out what Seattle is doing. So now that they will have tax payer funded heroin dens in Seattle and de criminilize all drugs in the region expect a hell of alot more run ins in outlying areas now too. 

I would think if quite a few of us showed up, there wouldn't be a problem. Start out with 5 min out and back followed by maybe a 15 to 20 min loop. Then just go off and ride. I get the homeless thing but I was there last weekend and didn't see anyone that looked like they were living in the Titanic and crap all over the place..... But again I get it. On another note, I will not be able to make the 14th as I have a prior appointment. However, now that I know, I will set aside wed as a ride day.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, TigerTanker said:

Wednesday 14th will be our first official day

wheels rolling 1pm

park at elfendal 

If you wanna start earlier, just swing by at 1230 ish for planning

green Mtn Rider and Dutch can tell us what trail work needs some attention too. 

Based on participation I might have a cool idea or two to toss in there...

Can't help much with the trail to clear choice.  I have spent the past two seasons building Shelton Dirt Rider trails and have spent very little time in Tahuya.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, cougbike said:

I'm in for the 1PM   Save some puddles for us!   @TigerTanker where is the magic parking spot?   Have not been there much 

Elfendahl Staging is here: https://goo.gl/maps/UJuWGB9Qrbz

About 15 minutes from here, excellent pre-ride and post-ride coffee.  https://goo.gl/maps/SzEH3mT3H2B2

• Like 1

• William1 changed the title to South Puget Sound winter men’s club: Wednesday riding