got my first pinched tube. Should I replace it, or fix a flat it

hey all, so ended up riding some rocky section on my klx250...had my psi to about 7 or 8 and im guessing me doing little jumps on the rocky section probably did the trick. 

So I have 2 questions.....Should I change the tube, or can I just fix a flat for the time being until I get new tires and tubeless kit; safe to do so? Done it on ATVs and they never go flat again, but not sure if dirtbikes any different 

second question, if I ride a lot of rocky sections and 7 - 8 PSI, am I better off with a tubeless? Should I get a tubeless conversion kit? Ive heard of TUBliss, but not sure if its worth it or if you guys recommend anything else

If you are running that low of pressure you are definitely going to get pinch flats. I've gotten a pinch flat before at 15psi which is what I ran when I used tubes. You won't get pinch flats with tubliss, but it is still possible to flat if you puncture the tire.

Replace the tube with an heavy duty tube, at least 3 mm thick unless you are going straight to tubliss.  Patching a tube can be sketchy.  I would only patch one if it was my only alternative.  And 7 to 8 psi is too low for a standard tube, hence the pinch flat.

• Like 1

gotcha!! yeah im going to run tubliss soon. going to order it prob next month. def like running 7 - 8 psi feels nice esp on rocks tried 12 psi but didnt like how it felt lol

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I never get pinch flats running HD or UHD tubes.

I also never patch a tube.  Replace.

ah thanks!! hm prob will try this out!!

one issue though, the rear tire is 4.60-18 63P but cant find tubes that size. Would a 3.oo tube be fine or need to find exactly 4.60

Look for a tube either 4.00/4.50-18 or 110/100-18.  Bridgestone UHD are the hot ticket.  But any heavy duty tube will do.  And don’t go by description as to how heavy duty it is.  You want 3 or 4 mm thick.  Be warned, the 4 mm ones can be tougher to install.

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gflo said:

Look for a tube either 4.00/4.50-18 or 110/100-18.  Bridgestone UHD are the hot ticket.  But any heavy duty tube will do.  And don’t go by description as to how heavy duty it is.  You want 3 or 4 mm thick.  Be warned, the 4 mm ones can be tougher to install.

i really appreciate it!!

Personally I would replace it with a min HD or UHD tube.

IRC-IX Heavy are 3MM, what I normally use from 2ish to 12ish PSI depending on the tire and terrain and haven't pinch flatted in like 6 years. IMO the price is right https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/864/35139/IRC-Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Tube

Bridgestone UHD are 4MM and recently bought one as a spare cus my local shop didn't have the IRC's in stock. These things are BEEFY and I would have thought thicker than 4MM but about twice as much $$$ as the IRC's.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/864/311/Bridgestone-Ultra-Heavy-Duty-Motorcycle-Tube

I was doing some research awhile ago and don't have the prices but in case anyone cares :)

Bridgestone TR-4 Ultra Heavy Duty - 4MM
IRC IX Heavy - 3MM
STI Heavy-Duty Tube - 2MM
Maxxis Extra Heavy-Duty TR4 Tube - 2.5MM
STI Ultra Heavy-Duty Tube - 4MM
Bridgestone TR-4 Heavy Duty MX Tire Tube = 3MM
Motoz Heavy-Duty Tube - 3MM
Motoz Uber Heavy Duty Motorcycle Tube - 4MM

Otherwise I recently got a Park Tool patch kit from a bike shop cus I miss placed the one I normally carry in my pack in case I have to god forbid patch a flat on the trail and I patched a tube that had small puncture from a piece of steel as a test and IMO prepped and applied correctly I'm keeping the tube as a backup and would use it if needed.

Sorry long post but its MONSOON raining in the PWN. I'm bored and not leaving the couch :)

4 minutes ago, willc86 said:

ok ended up getting this one. this would be fine on my 4.60-18 63P rear tires right

https://www.amazon.com/ProTrax-Motorcycle-Heavy-110-18-100-18/dp/B01L7Q57H6?keywords=110%2F100-18+tube&qid=1540747097&sr=8-20&ref=sr_1_20

3mm thick! hopefully these work great for me and wont have to spend 180$ on tubliss lol

Look at my link for the IRC tube which is a bit cheaper and IMO an excellent quality 3mm tube.

Never heard of ProTrax before but that doesn't mean anything :)

2 hours ago, willc86 said:

ok ended up getting this one. this would be fine on my 4.60-18 63P rear tires right

https://www.amazon.com/ProTrax-Motorcycle-Heavy-110-18-100-18/dp/B01L7Q57H6?keywords=110%2F100-18+tube&qid=1540747097&sr=8-20&ref=sr_1_20

3mm thick! hopefully these work great for me and wont have to spend 180$ on tubliss lol

Run slime in the front, at least. It helps lube the inside of the tube, I haven't gotten a pinch flat in years, since I started slime. 10 psi works great.

Run slime in the front, at least. It helps lube the inside of the tube, I haven't gotten a pinch flat in years, since I started slime. 10 psi works great.

About how many 0z ?

Buy new tire and tube

Sawzall tire and tube off 

pop new stuff on and ride

5 hours ago, RawbW said:

Buy new tire and tube

Sawzall tire and tube off 

pop new stuff on and ride

is it really recommended to get new tires if im changing my tubes? or just continue learning with the OEM tires I have now

1 hour ago, willc86 said:

is it really recommended to get new tires if im changing my tubes? or just continue learning with the OEM tires I have now

No I was joking lol. If the tires aren’t worn or dried out you can just pop a new tube in there:thumbsup:

On 10/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, kylektm said:

If you are running that low of pressure you are definitely going to get pinch flats. I've gotten a pinch flat before at 15psi which is what I ran when I used tubes. You won't get pinch flats with tubliss, but it is still possible to flat if you puncture the tire.

I disagree.  I run those pressures and sometimes less all the time and a lot of my riding is on nasty, sharp, broken rock and I've never had a flat in 4 1/2 seasons of riding.  

IMO Tubliss is an expensive solution to a non problem.  HD tubes are just fine for low pressure riding.  

I ride rocky, technical trails and I’ve had so many pinch flats that I’m at the point where I’m considering tubliss or bibs. But if you don’t want to go that direction, get ultra heavy duty tubes. They have less of a chance. If you run 10.5 psi you still have good feel and lessens the chance.