Survivor

Spring for the Fox Podium RC 2

I have bought a Fox Podium RC 2 a while ago for my 2016 X Trainer. I was told that the 5.2 was the correct spring for my riding weight which is 150 w/o gear and 185 ready to ride (back pack + tool). My front wheel was deflecting a lot lately so I checked the sag which was 105 mm loaded sag and 28 mm static sag! The X Trainer should be 90mm. So I made two full turn on the spring and it brought it down to 93 mm which is acceptable but the static sag is 6 mm! So if I am right, it tells me that I need to go from a 5.2 spring rate for my Fox Podium RC 2 to a 5.4 spring rate? Am I right or if I could do something else?  Where can I get a spring for my Fox RC 2 rear schock? Thanks for your help!

Edited by Survivor

I'm pretty sure you've got an RC2 shock, unless you've somehow  modified the much larger RC3 for the Xtrainer.  (If so I'd like to know more about how you did it.)

I run my RC2 sag at 97/26 mm, which is a bit soft for the Xtrainer's 270 mm rear wheel travel, but it feels good for the technical mountain trail riding I enjoy most.  When I'm chasing my buddies through the desert at faster speeds I sometimes wish for a stiffer spring.  If I measured 93/6 mm I'd definitely be looking for a stiffer spring.

Fox is no longer making dirt bike suspensions, but one of these Eibach springs should fit the RC2 shock.  It'll be an 25 mm or so longer than your Fox spring, but the RC body has plenty of threads to accommodate it. I run an Eibach spring on my Yamaha 4T and it works great.

eibach12.jpg

Regarding spring rates suggested by Beta: My experience has been that the Beta spring charts work well when applied to gross rider weight (rider+gear+tools+accessories etc.) rather than naked rider weight. Looking at the Beta Xtrainer spring chart below 5.4 kg seems like a better place to start that 5.2 kg.

Beta%20XTrainer%20Spring%20Chart.jpg

1 hour ago, wwguy said:

I'm pretty sure you've got an RC2 shock, unless you've somehow  modified the much larger RC3 for the Xtrainer.  (If so I'd like to know more about how you did it.)

I run my RC2 sag at 97/26 mm, which is a bit soft for the Xtrainer's 270 mm rear wheel travel, but it feels good for the technical mountain trail riding I enjoy most.  When I'm chasing my buddies through the desert at faster speeds I sometimes wish for a stiffer spring.  If I measured 93/6 mm I'd definitely be looking for a stiffer spring.

Fox is no longer making dirt bike suspensions, but one of these Eibach springs should fit the RC2 shock.  It'll be an 25 mm or so longer than your Fox spring, but the RC body has plenty of threads to accommodate it. I run an Eibach spring on my Yamaha 4T and it works great.

eibach12.jpg

Regarding spring rates suggested by Beta: My experience has been that the Beta spring charts work well when applied to gross rider weight (rider+gear+tools+accessories etc.) rather than naked rider weight. Looking at the Beta Xtrainer spring chart below 5.4 kg seems like a better place to start that 5.2 kg.

Beta%20XTrainer%20Spring%20Chart.jpg

wwguy, I double checked on the shock and it is written on the shock RC 3 but it is on a full wrap label from Stillwell Performance who sold it to me, this could explain why it is written RC 3. Stillwell Performance did put the wrong label as I just found the shipping box and "Product Description shows RC2 on the shipping box. Thanks for confirming that 6 mm of static and 93 mm of loaded sag means I need a 5.4 as it confirms my reading info. I am also lowering the X Trainer by 1", would my 5.2 get stiffer or softer when lowering 1" and solve the 6 mm static? If not, would the Eibach being 1" longer with a new 5.4 still fit my bike since there spring is 1" longer and my bike is getting lowered 1" soon as I get the spring issue resolved ? Thanks a lot for your help! 

Edited by Survivor

12 hours ago, Survivor said:

wwguy, I double checked on the shock and it is written on the shock RC 3 but it is on a full wrap label from Stillwell Performance who sold it to me, this could explain why it is written RC 3. Stillwell Performance did put the wrong label as I just found the shipping box and "Product Description shows RC2 on the shipping box. Thanks for confirming that 6 mm of static and 93 mm of loaded sag means I need a 5.4 as it confirms my reading info. I am also lowering the X Trainer by 1", would my 5.2 get stiffer or softer when lowering 1" and solve the 6 mm static? If not, would the Eibach being 1" longer with a new 5.4 still fit my bike since there spring is 1" longer and my bike is getting lowered 1" soon as I get the spring issue resolved ? Thanks a lot for your help! 

Sorry, but I don't know how lowering will affect spring rate and/or length.  That will depend on how the bike is lowered.  Your suspension pro should be able to answer that for you.

• Helpful 1

The Fox springs typically have a notch in them to ease adjustment. There is a corresponding pin on the shock that needs to be addressed if you use a non-Fox spring. PM me, we may be able to get the proper springs even though they show as "no longer available" from most sources.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

The Fox springs typically have a notch in them to ease adjustment. There is a corresponding pin on the shock that needs to be addressed if you use a non-Fox spring. PM me, we may be able to get the proper springs even though they show as "no longer available" from most sources.

I never noticed the notch/pin. I just put an Eibach spring on, so I guess I'd better check it out.

Only the RC3 Podium moto shocks have a spring with a notch since only this models have the F.A.S.T. easy preload adjustment.

RC2s (...X-Trainer) used a non-notched spring.

• Like 2