newmexico Cloudcroft riding area anyone familiar with it ?

Looking for info on riding the cloudcroft area in Lincoln National Forest anyone know the area ? Can you suggest when the best time to ride the area would be and what trails you would suggest.

• Like 1

Have driven through the area twice in years gone by, and knew a couple who had a cabin in the forest.  But never rode there.  They talked about wearing bells on their boots when hiking to scare the bears away.

It is probably dated, but there is information on "Rider Planet" about several of the trails in the area.  One, if I remember correctly, is a 30 mile single track, called some kind of "Rim" trail.   And on Google Earth pro, another one way 31(?) Mile trail is shown, "Marcia--Cloudcroft", which begins south of Cloudcroft and circles clockwise back to downtown Cloudcroft.  But I think it requires some hiway riding.  On Google Earth it looks like there are a lot of forest service roads and other unmarked trails in the area.   And there is sand dunes riding nearby.  And if you haven't seen the White Sands area, it is nearby.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
  • Like 2

On 10/28/2018 at 3:36 PM, Huskydog14 said:

Looking for info on riding the cloudcroft area in Lincoln National Forest anyone know the area ? Can you suggest when the best time to ride the area would be and what trails you would suggest.

The Rim trail and Heart Attack used to be pretty good, both are located in the Lincoln National forrest near Cloudcroft... the Mile High Enduro trail also.

Red Sands OHV is down on the desert floor, it’s about 15 miles south of Alamogordo.... bring your sand set up if you go there, lot’s of whoops and room to stretch the throttle cable

• Helpful 1

Thanks TGP it's a place that I am looking into as an alternative to Moab in the spring. Need someplace that's not going to be snowed in and has some challenging single track. And the rim trail looked very good as did some others that I checked out on you tube. I was hoping that a local would chime in and give me some guidance and insight as to the best time and best trails as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

Thanks TGP it's a place that I am looking into as an alternative to Moab in the spring. Need someplace that's not going to be snowed in and has some challenging single track. And the rim trail looked very good as did some others that I checked out on you tube. I was hoping that a local would chime in and give me some guidance and insight as to the best time and best trails as well.

👍🏽 Keep in mind that depending on spring weather Cloudcroft could be snowed in also, it’s at 8000 feet and as wet as a year we’ve had so far...I’ve raced the Turantula 100 down in Alamogordo in the snow in March.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, TeamGreenPilot said:

👍🏽 Keep in mind that depending on spring weather Cloudcroft could be snowed in also, it’s at 8000 feet and as wet as a year we’ve had so far...I’ve raced the Turantula 100 down in Alamogordo in the snow in March.

Yeah that's why I was hoping someone who lived and rode in the area would comment. We usually go to Moab in  April ,early May and I was just looking for something different,and was hoping that if we went far enough south that it would be ok weatherwise. It's actually 2 hours closer than Moab is, for me and the last few years in a row we have had issues going thru Colorado either coming or going with blizzards going across I-70.Not that it has stopped us from going and riding ,really just looking for something new and different.

• Like 1

Just head over this way if you are coming to NM.  And if you decide you just really have to go to Moab after all we're only 2 hours away.  You have several of us that could show you around.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Huskydog14 said:

Yeah that's why I was hoping someone who lived and rode in the area would comment. We usually go to Moab in  April ,early May and I was just looking for something different,and was hoping that if we went far enough south that it would be ok weatherwise. It's actually 2 hours closer than Moab is, for me and the last few years in a row we have had issues going thru Colorado either coming or going with blizzards going across I-70.Not that it has stopped us from going and riding ,really just looking for something new and different.

But if you tell anyone about our places we’ll leave you in the desert 😆

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at climate data for cloudcroft, late april and May should be a good time to ride.  On average, relatively little precipitation and above freezing temps.  

40 minutes ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

Looking at climate data for cloudcroft, late april and May should be a good time to ride.  On average, relatively little precipitation and above freezing temps.  

Looks like we need to start looking at accomodations,I will start looking into the details 

I will keep an eye out on this. Sounds like a plan. I get a extra week of vacation this year. And I got me a new trailer. Ready to try some new stuff out west

IMG_20181026_184653.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jsned250 said:

I will keep an eye out on this. Sounds like a plan. I get a extra week of vacation this year. And I got me a new trailer. Ready to try some new stuff out west

IMG_20181026_184653.jpg

Nice trailer check your PM's Jeff.

53 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Very little dirt bike only single track in the Sacramento district of the Lincoln NF, as it is in most of the NFs in NM.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5413949.pdf

I looked up all of the trails in the cloudcroft region and came up with a total of around 70 miles that were designated motorcycle only and endless two track in the same area,it's got a top elevation of 9500 ft so that should provide some good stuff, the rim trail looks like a good one and its about 32 miles long,it's ST and had some great views to offer from what I could tell.

55 minutes ago, Huskydog14 said:

I looked up all of the trails in the cloudcroft region and came up with a total of around 70 miles that were designated motorcycle only and endless two track in the same area,it's got a top elevation of 9500 ft so that should provide some good stuff, the rim trail looks like a good one and its about 32 miles long,it's ST and had some great views to offer from what I could tell.

I'm glad you aren't stuck on single track. A lot of the single track is at the end of 2 track. 2 track can be a blast, a lot of it is just a pair of single tracks. One of my favorite trails is Devil Mtn near Pagosa Sprgs, one of the gnarliest narrow 2 tracks around.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I'm glad you aren't stuck on single track. A lot of the single track is at the end of 2 track. 2 track can be a blast, a lot of it is just a pair of single tracks. One of my favorite trails is Devil Mtn near Pagosa Sprgs, one of the gnarliest narrow 2 tracks around.

Yep, I will always say a good single track is the best. But when I say that I am talking about good tight wooded, Michigan type trail. I know that is not out there. But Like you said out there with the scenery it makes up for it and it is a nice change of pace for me. Heck even the freeways of Moab are a blast. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trailrydr9 said:

Another interesting looking ride.

Fun looking 1.5 mile long narrow 2 track.  Sort of like Devil Mtn. like I said, only a lot shorter.

• Like 2

I'm from NM, here's a sampling of videos of trails in the area.  Great place to ride, but seldom down there since I live in the north part of state.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1