More water in the trans...

So long story short I bent some shift shaft(s) and broke the clutch side case on my 06 crf. A long and frustrating process that involved lots of money and lots of Dremel cutting wheels, I finally got it fixed at the end of last season. Bike ran fine for the rest of the season. Yesterday I pulled it out of summer storage for this season and found milky oil in the trans. I’m a little befuddled because it’s got new gaskets and o-rings. So I’m assuming the pump is causing it, maybe the gasket installed improperly? Any other areas I should check when I go tearing into this thing again?

Thanks,

LucasIMG_1176.JPG

Do you routinely lay the bike on it's side and pressure wash the underside? (bottom of engine, linkage area)

meaning perhaps have pushed water up the gearbox vent hose.

Edited by mlatour

No never have power washed it, nor turned it on it’s side to wash the botttom. I usually just take wet scotch bright pad for that kind of thing, but I don’t think that would do it..

• Like 1

I just re-read your first post, you mention 'just took it out of summer storage'

If your coolant's level has not significantly dropped but you've observed signs of water in the gearbox lubricant,

it may be accumulated moisture in the gearbox from being in storage / humid conditions.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

That oil does not look very milky. If it is contaminated with antifreeze it will be gray in color. Probably just from sitting. Change oil, ride, and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

Ha! So I ended up changing it and success. I think I was just having a little mechanical PTSD and really just want to ride again. This was my first time storing a bike for a season so this was all new ground for me to cover..

I am curious though why it did have that color? my area does not seem to be very humid and my storage is well ventilated.