Real life shim stacks vs theory

Ok say my tuner tell me on my compression stack for my shock to use 40.25 x 4 shims. Would it be better to use 40.20 (8)? I know theory tells me that the thinner shims are less likely to deform and it takes 2x.20 shims to equal 1x.25 but in real life how much if any would that change the setting my tuner gave me?

So I still would be better off using more of the thin shims? I have plenty of room to change that over.

It really doesn't matter ,the torque you use on the shaft nut could make a bigger difference

In my YZ125 shock experiments this summer, on the rebound face shims I tried :

36.15 x 7 and also 36.20 x 3 which calculates to be practically equivalent but I swear the 36.15 x 7 felt initially softer.

Edited by mlatour

The HS varies slightly with thickness changes ( with total stiffness calculated to be the same ) but you simply add say one extra 0.15 and it goes the other way

As I said unless you torque the top nut to the same ,it has more of an effect

MXScandinavia put out some dyno data comparing thick versus thin face shims.

Some argue the shorter stack you get using thicker face shims increase the dynamic response since there is less moving shim stack mass.

Others argue thinner shims can be bent further before becoming deformed. That allows thinner shims to take a larger hit without permanently bending the shims and deforming the shim stack.

• Like 1