I need my 350sxf to start faster

Hey guys I have had this 15 350sxf since new. I absolutely love it. I’ve got a little over 100 hours on it and it’s still going strong. Over the winter I’m going to put a new piston in it an shim the valves if they even need it. But I have always had an issue with dead engine start races. I sit at the line starting it warming it up until my group goes. It does not start quick enough consistently enough and it’s killing my starts and results. As I said it’s always been this unreliable since new. I don’t think it’s a valve problem. The bike does start and run great. Just not quick enough to stay on par with those who kick start their bikes. I still have the original battery in the bike as well. What are you guys doing to get these things off the line a little quicker? Battery, TPS, starter, mapping?

• Like 1

There is very little you can do. Depending on how long you are waiting with the engine off before your start, I will give a quick stab of the button to make sure the system is 'primed' and with full pressure. This helps more then any mod I've done. I personally added a bigger battery (Anti-Gravity AG-801) and a bigger stator from Ricky Stator but it might make a fractional of a difference over stock. 

2 minutes ago, SeanM327 said:

Thanks guys I’ve tried the tapping the button to prime the pump trick. I generally do that every time I need to start the bike. I’ve increased the idle I little bit. What is the spec for the idle? 

Page 72 of the owner's manual:

2050 to 2150 rpm

I did mine by ear at first, I just turned it up a little until it sounded like what mine should have been based on a suggestion here.  After the adjustment, it stopped being a royal pain to start.  I've since bought a tach/hour meter for my bike for more concrete evidence.

KTM offer's your owner's manual for free download: https://www.ktm.com/us/service/manuals/

you can buy the service manual as well for download.  I have both on my phone in PDF format for my bike.  unfortuantely, for some reason, my service manual isn't searchable, but I get by because i grew up knowing what an index and a table of contents were. ?

• Like 1

Pro tip, hit the start button and kick the kick starter at the same time. Starts instantly, as fast as a 2t
Before the start i also hold the throttle at 1/4 while its running and hold the kill button till it dies to get gas sitting in there and make sure the piston is a hair past tdc
  • Like 1

My 16' 350 SXF had starting issues so I replaced the OEM battery with the larger size battery and tray from the XCF bikes and it now starts up first hit of the button every time, regardless of temp. and no priming of the fuel pump.  

Not sure if the 15' SXF's had a smaller battery than the 15' XCF's, but a bigger/better battery is worth a shot.