KTM 150 xc-w VS. 125sx

Hey guys,

I am a new rider with a bit over a year under my belt on a CRF230F, and I'm looking to upgrade to a lighter 2t for woods riding. This weekend I went down to the dealership, where a good friend runs the dirtbike section to check out some bikes. Two deals caught my eye: a 2018 KTM 150 xc-w for 7k out the door, and a 2017 125sx for about 4k out the door. 

Obviously, the SX is the better bargain, but I'm going to use this bike primarily for woods riding, so I'm a little concerned that a 125 MX bike won't cut it. This would also be my first 2t, so it's going to be a bit of a learning experience. I primarily ride double and single track in the woods of new england. 

I'm also partial to the 150 because I can plate it, which is necessary for some areas that I like to ride. But I could do without, and just ride the 230 there. 

Would it be worth it to get the 125 and spend some of the money I'd save kitting it out for the woods, or should I just go for the 150? Can I make a 125 mx bike into a woods weapon, or am I better off with the xc bike?

By the time you get the MX bike suspension revalved and resprung for off-road you'll be close to the same price and you still will not have the much nicer power characteristics and wide range transmission of the 150.

While the lower price of sx my seem appealing the 150xcw would be the better choice for what you are doing to use it for. I've owned older 125sx bikes and currently own an 18 150xcw and will never buy an sx bike again. With the xcw you get offroad tuned suspension, larger fuel tank, kick stand, e-start, wider range transmission gears, lights, heavier flywheel wieght , 18" rear tire and so one. Yes you can make a 125sx work good for trail riding but why bother. You can buy the 150 and it's ready to go. 

I'd recommend the 150. The 125 would require upgrades to bring it up to the level of the 150 in the woods which would cancel out any savings.