Smoking 2's

Crank & Piston Kit: 01 vs. 05 YZ250 differences?

I'm not in a position to write down a bunch of numbers and im sure I just seen a thread about this but can't find it.

What's the difference between a stock crank/piston kit for a 2001 250 vrs a 2005. I'm picking a 05 up in the morning for my son and of course know nothing about it and if it needs it I might as well save some money and use what I can of what I already have

Can use 01 in it but youdhave to have 01 seal,collar ,primary gear to go with it. 05 is different on right side

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Just now, Motox367 said:

Can use 01 in it but youdhave to have 01 seal,collar ,primary gear for . 05 is different on right side

Thanks moto! Well hope it doesn't need it. If I gotta order stuff I might as well order proper and keep it original

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Thanks moto! Well hope it doesn't need it. If I gotta order stuff I might as well order proper and keep it original

Ya new oem cranks not that mu h best to go that route for longevity 

7 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

He's going to like it nice choice 👍 

Coming off that 97 rm 125 he'll be in hog heaven. I'm sure I'll be in a immediate race first time out and I won't loose, if I have to kick, grab levers etc I will win the first battle🤘🤘🤘🤣😂

Edited by Smoking 2's
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

I'm not in a position to write down a bunch of numbers and im sure I just seen a thread about this but can't find it.

What's the difference between a stock crank/piston kit for a 2001 250 vrs a 2005. I'm picking a 05 up in the morning for my son and of course know nothing about it and if it needs it I might as well save some money and use what I can of what I already have

99-19 pistons are all interchangeable. Cranks are 99-00, 01-02, 03-19. But you can use 01-02 in all up to 19 if you buy the flywheel, and the small splined collar for 01-02, and/or flywheel 99-01. 02 has a one of a kind flywheel. 

1 hour ago, Motox367 said:

Can use 01 in it but youdhave to have 01 seal,collar ,primary gear to go with it. 05 is different on right side

Actually it is only the flywheel, and the spline collar under the primary stack. Everything else would work on 01-19. 99-00 cranks will need the big collar they came with for the primary to stack properly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

99-19 pistons are all interchangeable. Cranks are 99-00, 01-02, 03-19. But you can use 01-02 in all up to 19 if you buy the flywheel, and the small splined collar for 01-02, and/or flywheel 99-01. 02 has a one of a kind flywheel. 

Actually it is only the flywheel, and the spline collar under the primary stack. Everything else would work on 01-19. 99-00 cranks will need the big collar they came with for the primary to stack properly. 

Thank you

8 hours ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

You're right doc. Top is 08 crank bottom 00

20181030_072936.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Motox367 said:

You're right doc. Top is 08 crank bottom 00

20181030_072936.jpg

Probably saved an oz somewhere doing it different lol

18 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Probably saved an oz somewhere doing it different lol

Lol ik the 02+ or 03+ has a weight added to flywheel witch makes the  broader powerband like adding flywheel weight 

2 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Lol ik the 02+ or 03+ has a weight added to flywheel witch makes the  broader powerband like adding flywheel weight 

I'm down with some flywheel weight. If I could I'd add 10 lbs to mine. Make it like my old tiller, one pull off the string and it turns over like 10 times 🤗😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

I'm down with some flywheel weight. If I could I'd add 10 lbs to mine. Make it like my old tiller, one pull off the string and it turns over like 10 times 🤗😂

Well put the biggest one can find on there 😊 i put a 7oz on a race bike and liked it kept everything churning  .

Just now, Motox367 said:

Well put the biggest one can find on there 😊 i put a 7oz on a race bike and liked it kept everything churning  .

I have a 13oz(biggest) but would enjoy 13lb too😁. I sure my boy will want 0oz flywheel 😂

Speaking of racing, how'd your season go, any 5' trophies

18 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

I have a 13oz(biggest) but would enjoy 13lb too😁. I sure my boy will want 0oz flywheel 😂

Speaking of racing, how'd your season go, any 5' trophies

Didn't go as planned lol just get going and couple set backs like hurting my ba k at practice track. But did race the state's , Holeshot and won the first +40 moto , holeshot 2nd 40 moto but went off track on lap two ended up 3rd. Went  3-7 in the +30. Motos 2 and 5 on the run down that day not much time in between lol i was spent think i spent myself practice and first moto. Just been out to long 😏 but picked up the 04 midd season and man really liking it . 3 out of 4 holeshots that day on the old girl shes a runner . Only race i did . So a 1-3 got me 3rd overall only a 3' one this year. But not bad fir part timer 🤣

20180916_172543.jpg

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Didn't go as planned lol just get going and couple set backs like hurting my ba k at practice track. But did race the state's , Holeshot and won the first +40 moto , holeshot 2nd 40 moto but went off track on lap two ended up 3rd. Went  3-7 in the +30. Motos 2 and 5 on the run down that day not much time in between lol i was spent think i spent myself practice and first moto. Just been out to long 😏 but picked up the 04 midd season and man really liking it . 3 out of 4 holeshots that day on the old girl shes a runner . Only race i did . So a 1-3 got me 3rd overall only a 3' one this year. But not bad fir part timer 🤣

20180916_172543.jpg

Attaboy! Maybe a 5 footer next year 😁 

Just now, Smoking 2's said:

Attaboy! Maybe a 5 footer next year 😁 

Maybe.  Deff if i start racing more get in shape again.  Then id have to go back to A class. Now can just show up and be competitive in B with armpump and tounge dragging lol . That race i did was on old national track long and rough. 5 laps was to much for me now days pushing it. Next season hopefully get back serious 

10 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Maybe.  Deff if i start racing more get in shape again.  Then id have to go back to A class. Now can just show up and be competitive in B with armpump and tounge dragging lol . That race i did was on old national track long and rough. 5 laps was to much for me now days pushing it. Next season hopefully get back serious 

As long as your having fun, rock it out! 

P.s..... getting in shape is no fun🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

As long as your having fun, rock it out! 

P.s..... getting in shape is no fun🤣🤣

Just have to start racing and riding more and id be good. But just not as gunhoe about it as use to be. Be nice to do some trail riding type riding 

Edited by Motox367

20 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Just have to start racing and riding more and id be good. But just not as gunhoe about it as use to be. Be nice to do some trail riding type riding 

Now we're talking!😁

• Haha 1