2019 Crf250f new model!!

• 2 weeks later...

The New crf250f is on the Honda powersports web sight. 265 lbs with all fluids full (like fuel) including a counter balancer in the engine, steel handlebars, both add to that 265 lbs of wet weight.

34mm throttle body.

I just confirmed that the fuel tank is steel, fuel pump in tank, not sure yet if there is catalytic converter in the exhaust, but if so, all adding more weight over and above the weight of a 230f.

Partszilla and Rocky Mountain do not have replacement parts listing yet so hard to confirm any other components.

The forks may be more heavy, the rear disk brake probably does not save any weight, ECM and additional wiring probably adds some weight?

• Helpful 1

40 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

The New crf250f is on the Honda powersports web sight. 265 lbs with all fluids full (like fuel) including a counter balancer in the engine, steel handlebars, both add to that 265 lbs of wet weight.

34mm throttle body.

I suspect that the fuel tank is steel, fuel pump in tank, catalyst converter in the exhaust, all adding more weight over and above the weight of a 230f.

Partszilla and Rocky Mountain do not have replacement parts listing yet so hard to confirm any other components.

The forks may be more heavy, the rear disk brake probably does not save any weight, ECM and additional wiring probably adds some weight?

Contrary to what we are taught. Stock steel handlebars are lighter than aluminum bars. If steel bars were as solid as aluminum bars, only then would they out weigh aluminum bars. The solid thickness prevents the collapse of the bar. If a steel bar was as thick as Aluminum bar, it would be 5 time heavier and 100 times stronger. Don't trust me?...get a set of stock steel bars and weigh them with an aluminum one...its shocking. The Japs thought they were out smarting everyone with their aluminum frames weight. The Jap frames are heavier than KTM's . Why? because they must use more material to equal the strength of steel.

IF an aluminum bar was as thin as stock steel MX bars, they would bend/loop out on your first jump.... My bad... aluminum is brittle in characteristics so they wouldn't bend, they would snap!

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Contrary to what we are taught. Stock steel handlebars are lighter than aluminum bars. If steel bars were as solid as aluminum bars, only then would they out weigh aluminum bars. The solid thickness prevents the collapse of the bar. If a steel bar was as thick as Aluminum bar, it would be 5 time heavier and 100 times stronger. Don't trust me?...get a set of stock steel bars and weigh them with an aluminum one...its shocking. The Japs thought they were out smarting everyone with their aluminum frames weight. The Jap frames are heavier than KTM's . Why? because they must use more material to equal the strength of steel.
IF an aluminum bar was as thin as stock steel MX bars, they would bend/loop out on your first jump.... My bad... aluminum is brittle in characteristics so they wouldn't bend, they would snap!

And carbon fiber bars, are they lighter than steel bars?

How about aluminum rear sprockets, engine mount plates, wheel (axle) spacers, (inside and outside the hubs)
Plastic verses steel fuel tanks.
Aluminum verses steel rear brake levers, shift levers, snail chain adjusters, Titanium foot pegs and pivot pins, exhaust systems, etc.

My point it is probably quiet easy to loose the 15 lbs extra weight of the 250f .

Probably pretty easy to loose 25 lbs of extra weight..... since my personal 230f weighs 230 lbs with a full tank of fuel. (111 lbs front wheel, 119 lbs rear wheel)
I just don’t think it would be any more difficult on the 250f that it was on the 230f.
(especially if I went back to the std steel handlebars, unfortunately I don’t have them any longer because they were far to low for me)
  • Like 1

Pretty easy to guess what the subject is but I have no idea about what’s being said?

Possibly explaining about the bike in the video has a head light and the bike destined for our shores does not?

Or how the bike with the head light wheelies so easily or even when they ride the bike with the head light in the water, river, creeks or mud, it does not make the bike look any more dirty than it was right out of the crate when received from the factory....

• Haha 1

Oh Honda!!!!   Why why why????  Why don't you care about how much your bikes weigh?  It makes a difference!  The CRF230F is a great bike but it's a PIG.  And now the 2019 CRF250F is even heavier!!!  16 pounds heavier.  Unacceptable.  Last year we sold my wife's 230F and purchased a Kawasaki KLX 140G.  Yep, a 140.  It's got full size wheels (21 & 18"), a low seat height, and best of all it weighs 31 POUNDS less than the CRF230F, and now 47 POUNDS lighter than the new CRF250F.  That's a lot of extra weight, especially for a smaller person.  Yes, the compromise is dropping to a 144cc motor, but in the end, my wife is thrilled, and she's kicking ass on the new Kawi.  Sorry that this sounds like an ad for Kawasaki, but I'm hugely disappointed to see the specs on this new Honda.  Seems like all Honda's new trail bikes weren't designed with weight in mind.

For reference: 

Honda CRF250F is 265 pounds

Honda CRF230F is 249 pounds 

Honda CRF150F is 233.9 pounds

Kawasaki KLX 140G is 218.2 pounds

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, The Plvis said:

I guess only question is the new crf250 has the light steel bars. Then why so heavy without good parts. Pry tell I hate to be the first one to buy it then deal with FI.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 9:54 AM, BSAVictor said:

Hmmm.... Shim-type valve adjusting on the CRF250F?  Is the FI the type that will work in (God Forbid) the dreaded deadish-battery, bump-start conditions?

Honda has had a no battery Keihin EFI system since 05, it is on the Montesa 4RT, a kick start 250cc 4 valve water cooled engine. Two riding buds have owned them and the engine is great for trail riding.  Put a CRF250X gear box in it and it would be perfect (a lot of the gear box parts share part numbers). Montesa has a trail version like the Free Ride and it has the same 1st and 5th gear ratio as the CRF250X with small differences in some of the intermediate ratios.
So it is doable.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 6:12 PM, splice35mm said:

Oh Honda!!!!   Why why why????  Why don't you care about how much your bikes weigh?  It makes a difference!  The CRF230F is a great bike but it's a PIG.  And now the 2019 CRF250F is even heavier!!!  16 pounds heavier.  Unacceptable.  Last year we sold my wife's 230F and purchased a Kawasaki KLX 140G.  Yep, a 140.  It's got full size wheels (21 & 18"), a low seat height, and best of all it weighs 31 POUNDS less than the CRF230F, and now 47 POUNDS lighter than the new CRF250F.  That's a lot of extra weight, especially for a smaller person.  Yes, the compromise is dropping to a 144cc motor, but in the end, my wife is thrilled, and she's kicking ass on the new Kawi.  Sorry that this sounds like an ad for Kawasaki, but I'm hugely disappointed to see the specs on this new Honda.  Seems like all Honda's new trail bikes weren't designed with weight in mind.

Wholly agree with splice35mm.  As a higher-skilled but shorter rider I'm really intrigued by the new CRF250F, but deeply bummed by the weight. Would be interested if I saw a route to losing 30 of those pounds. Both of the venerable 230s had also been nominees, but in the end the KLX140G has proven to be a great choice.  Low weight and agility are assets both for high-speed cornering and for low-speed rocks that can't be replicated.  144cc does lack power in flat terrain, but for riders ~150lbs some of those ccs are regained via the low weight, and it thus hops boulders and tractors up local climbs for which bigger bikes must trust revs and inertia. Singletrack and rough trails are where it shines.  Stock suspension is great for any beginner, while carb/breathing mods + new front springs make it a dagger of a trail tool with faint traces of trials dna. 
Like many fast but short trail riders, would enjoy seeing other manufacturers fill this gap in the marketplace for lightweight 4T trailbikes with lower seats and solid suspension.  MX and track-oriented 2T bikes exist in all sizes, and while the CRF250F offers multiple cool upgrades, the weight seems a liability for agility on the rough trails.  Would be cool if Honda offered the CRF150 R/F with full-sized wheels, but even then the weight would be 24! lbs higher than the KLX.
Never owned a Kawasaki before this one, but it skillfully fills a niche with little current competition. 

Edited by ColoradoTrails
  • Like 2

You wrote: "but deeply bummed by the weight"

I've taken off a few pounds without really trying :

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Fmods.htm

But I have yet to mount my tires (and mousse) of choice. I expect to be back at the stock weight once they're mounted.

My 250F is 50 pounds less than my 250L it replaces, so I see it as a great upgrade.  I still have twin 230F bikes for TST, so I'm happily looking forward to this year's riding.

Anybody lookin for a 250L?

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm

:ride:

Edited by ramz
Tyo
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 4:39 PM, stroker said:

250cc,  rear disc brake, new motor, new frame, new plastics etc.  Other than that it is the same !!  look at the video link I added.... in OP

One (positive) thing that I noticed (which no review that I have read so far seems to have picked up on), is the way the (functional) shrouds scoop and channel air over the motor - a very important aspect in my mind on any air-cooled bike! In comparison, the CRF230F's shrouds are purely aesthetical and provide no function as far as airflow for cooling purposes is concerned - any air captured by the shrouds simply bounces off the fuel tank and does not aid in engine cooling.

The twin-spar frame also certainly appears more rigid and robust, and the rear disk brake is another significant improvement in my mind.

• Like 3