skid plate recommendations for 2019 TE 300i

So there was a thread about the standard factory plastic engine protector not being enough protection.  They said they crushed the frame rails under the engine on logs and rocks.  I ride in Michigan where we always have trees down in the trail.  Most of the time you can slide/ride over them.  I am torn, I don't want to add any unnecessary weight to the bike..... but I don't want the frame damaged by downed trees as others have experienced.  What are you guys running for skid plates?  Do the carbon fiber skid plates break?  Is aluminium better?  I haven't had a skid plate on any bike since my 2000 Yamaha WR400 ( it was aluminium).  My last two KTM 300s were bare, no skid plates, and no frame damage.  I love how light this bike is and really don't want to make it heavier.  Need some opinions........

Edited by Eric Wheeler

AXP xtreme has my vote. Very heavy built and doesn’t get hung up on rocks or trees.

Agreed.
I have the same skid plate on the orange variety of the 300 and it’s been great. It’s fairly light being plastic, but still can take a beating. Also it has integrated linkage protections as well.
https://slavensracing.com/shop/skid-plates-ktm-2/

I put on the AXP Extreme too on my 18 TE300, super easy install with bike on its side and I ride in Michigan, slide right across those logs on the Everett trail.

• Like 1

I have an Enduro Engineering Aluminum skid plate on mine with the extended linkage protector. It weighs a few pounds but it is down low so not at all noticeable. I am up in the Colorado Rockies and like hearing the rocks bounce off the aluminum.

• Like 1

I also have the enduro engineering on my TX, I really like it. Nice fit and I put a 1/4 thick length of auto serpentine belt on the frame rails👍 I also like that its put together in three pieces, I have also ran the AXP on my Beta, and its very nice too, I don't care for the square look of most of the edges and not being formed and fit nicer, (Ya I know its not for looks.) The T.M. designworks Plate for the 2019 models will be out soon, and look to be more formed😀

Edited by rocky4by

On 10/31/2018 at 2:58 PM, mmmm waffles said:

AXP xtreme has my vote. Very heavy built and doesn’t get hung up on rocks or trees.

+1 for the axp

Aluminum doesn't glide as good as plastic/poly. Aluminum vibrates more too. Weight is negligible between them, if anything, the poly plates are lighter.

We hop a lot of trees around here & you see ALOT of SXS or TM designs skid plates here... not sure if they make em yet for 2019's but worth looking into.

Wouldn't worry too much about weight that low on the frame.  Your center of gravity and displacement are among the primary culprits of making your bike "feel" heavy.  The carbon fiber breaks but is good protection, the aluminum reflect noise but will not fail you.  You need to opine on if you need pipe coverage as I suspect aluminum is your only avenue if so.  Slaven's has a beautiful full coverage plate i.e. pipe, engine and linkage integrated into one. 

Edited by Captn Kirk
  • Like 1