Tahuya winter trail maintenance thread.

I figured I would start one this year for trail maintenance needs and down trees. There are a lot of singletrack trails needing attention. The Hurd side is extremely overgrown along with the correction center side. Today I went out and did some trail cleaning but really didn't even make a dent. Did the trail that comes off the Tahuya river trail right after the bridge. 

If you have a particular singletrack trail that needs work or there is a tree down post it here. 

If you want to come out and help I'll be available Monday through Thursday. I'm sure we get some weekend work parties going too. I hear a lot of guys saying there willing to do trail work but see very little action. The Bremerton cruisers do a lot of work before the Sparkplug Enduro. Us riders should be doing are fair share too. 

I would like to do a weekday work party either Wednesday or Thursday for the next few weeks.

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 5

Yeah I was down there a month ago and one of the ST that I had ridden on the Hurd side 2 years ago was totally overgrown low tunnel. It was raining that day, and after 100' completely plowing through the brush I was drenched. I have barely touched the ST down there but I think next time I'll throw in the 2T hedge trimmer and try and get some time out there. It's one of the few trails that I know how to navigate directly to on a road.

Edit - I turned around, my buddy that was with me that day is a usual MXer and has no brush guards, he couldn't ride it, kept getting the front brake and clutch pulled in!

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leftdagrid said:

Awesome Greenmtn.

I will try and get up there a day this season and lend a hand. I love trimming brush. Keep this thread going everyone.

I was watching the vids from GP last night - the one over sharks tooth where he is creeping along (have to go look up his TT name) and I kept thinking how much of that brush could use some trimming! You never know when your going to go through some of that and there is something that doesn't want to brush out of the way. I need to mount my silky on the forks or something, or get a smaller trimming saw in a sheath so I can just whip it out and trim that stuff with a quick stop.

• Like 1

Been working the west side of the hurd off and on by myself, got several miles done but more to go.  Some re established stuff through the clearcuts riders need to burn in.   If people could just stop and kick some sticks or something that would help. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, cougbike said:

So I hear you just have to enjoy the suck/wet.  That being said what are you guys doing for eye wear and back tires.   My GT 333 is done so looking for the low elevation winter tire.  No tubliss 

Mesh safety glasses or bring a dry rag to wipe your goggles off. Tires honestly just about anything works for the rear. I personally like the shinko 525 cheater.  I think the front tire is more important. I run either a M59 Bridgestone or the Goldentyre fatty.

• Like 1

I am able to help most weekends if someone needs some help. I learned to ride in that forest and we never did much back then to maintain those trails. Would really like to do some work out there to give back. If some one wants my help out there please PM me.

Edited by Eric72

1 hour ago, cougbike said:

So I hear you just have to enjoy the suck/wet.  That being said what are you guys doing for eye wear and back tires.   My GT 333 is done so looking for the low elevation winter tire.  No tubliss 

IRC VE33 with HD (not UHD) tubes. GMT Rider said to bring a dry cloth with you to wipe your lenses. That's funny. Dry? :smirk:

Mesh safety glass like these shown here won't fog ever. If water collects then just shake it off.

http://www.wesspur.com/safety/tree-climber-eye-pro.html

• Like 1

3m make i great pair of those safety glasses. Thjey are expensive, but they are comfortable and do not fog up. Spent a lot of weekends wearing those glasses last winter. I have a cheap pair of glasses for a back up, but the 3m where my favorite.

10 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

The trail that bypasses the shopping cart trail has been brushed. I left each end closed up to discourage quads.

Don, is that the wide one that goes off the dirt road leading up to the private property that was logged? If so, we came across a deliberately cut down tree that appeared to be from someone wanting to block it.  This was last week.

Joe

6 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Don, is that the wide one that goes off the dirt road leading up to the private property that was logged? If so, we came across a deliberately cut down tree that appeared to be from someone wanting to block it.  This was last week.

Joe

That's the trail but I did the section opposite of the cut tree. I left the downed tree since you can easily get around it and it may keep the quads out.

I'm thinking about contacting the DNR to let them know that someone is illegally cutting down trees to block trails. That is a fairly good size fine. If it was the DNR that wanted that trail closed they would have put up a sign like they did at the other trail openings.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

That's the trail but I did the section opposite of the cut tree. I left the downed tree since you can easily get around it and it may keep the quads out.

I'm thinking about contacting the DNR to let them know that someone is illegally cutting down trees to block trails. That is a fairly good size fine. If it was the DNR that wanted that trail closed they would have put up a sign like they did at the other trail openings.

Yeah, what the heck is wrong with them, they should be cutting a 24" opening in those ??. It is an a$$ hat thing to do. We ran into a few of those on the Divide trail above Greenwater (trying to block the trail). Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid. They didn't even do it right. :excuseme:

Edited by KaToomTime