Slicky

Dr 650 sp444a won't cold start

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I don't know this forum well I'm from France and having a lot of trouble with my DR 650... Let me explain.

This is a 1992 sp44a Dr I bought this summer. 30000 km, had a bit of trouble to start the first time I got it but it was okay after I got the right technique.

Immediately I noticed it was a pain to cold start but after it had started I could kickstart it no problem. Anyway when I left it to go back to work in Paris it was running great and okay to kickstart. Before I left I unplugged the battery and poured gas stabiliser in the tank with the gas. 

Came back two days ago for a 1 week holiday and I planned on riding everyday. First I had to change a fuse cause I it broke after I plugged the battery. Then I tried to kickstart it for ages, didn't start. 

I have no decompression lever but I reach the etc, kick a little further to pass it, then let the kick go up again and kick the hell out of my bike. Nothing happens and soon enough it feels gasoline.

So yesterday I tried again after having unbolted and cleaned the Sparks and it started after a hundred kicks, stalled, started again immediately and the stalled again. Since, impossible to start it again.

The Sparks are new from this summer, when I had a hard time starting it. I'm guessing maybe the Sparks caps ? Or maybe there is too much gas reaching the chamber, the Sparks are really quickly wet when I try to kickstart it.

I'm desperate, no garage will look at my bike until I go back to Paris 'cause they have no time for it and I don't know what to do. Check the electric arc on the Sparks ? Maybe i do the Ring thing kicking it ? 

I don't use the starter and usually don't touch the gas when kicking but sometimes when I'm too desperate I do give a little gas and... Well nothing.

Could I have your opinion ? Also when I clean the Sparks, put it back and kick several times, when I take it off again they're already black.... 

I know nothing about bikes I'm Keen to learn tho.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions. 

Best,

Tristan

How much time was it sitting? You probably have some gunk in the carb and/or bad gas.

I'd clean the carb and pour some fresh gasoline in the tank. When my dr350 is being too stubborn about starting, like after leaving it for two or three weeks in the middle of winter, I try to jump starting it (decompression lever in, start in neutral and jump it in second), and even if it just sputters a bit, it's usually enough to get it going the regular way.