Newbie maybe, looking for advice

I'm seriously thinking about a trials bike.. I moved to southern Oregon and I live on 92 acres of fairly rough terrain.. I've had to gear down my fast bikes but I find them too tall and akward to turn around on steep slopes..lots of logs.. I think a trials bike would be fun on this stuff and really help me cut some trails for going faster.. I see Montessa has a 4 stroke Honda and then there are several 2 strokes for offer.. I can't find any used bikes around here but there is a Beta dealer in So Oregon.. I'm thinking 250. any suggestions? I'm 5'9 180lbs.. 2 stroke vs 4?.. I like 2 strokes.. Thanks... Chuck

• Like 1

Any trials clubs near you? If you can get a chance to ride different bikes it will be easier to figure out what you want. Lots of Montessa 4rts in our club but personally I don't like them for competition. Too heavy. But they make great trail bikes. It's really hard to go wrong with any of the modern bikes, but they do all have a different feel and it's good to try as many as you can.

• Like 2

Telling trials riders you’ve got land is like walking into a kennel with a pork chop around your neck. I’m surprised they’re not lined up on your porch.[emoji3] As for two stroke/four stroke I’m firmly in the two stroke camp. Lighter, less maintenance and generally less hassle. But I have four stroke friends who love them. It’s very much personal preference. I’d be surprised if there weren’t at least a couple riders in your area. Check things like the AMA mag and the web for local events.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dan Williams said:

Telling trials riders you’ve got land is like walking into a kennel with a pork chop around your neck. I’m surprised they’re not lined up on your porch.emoji3.png As for two stroke/four stroke I’m firmly in the two stroke camp. Lighter, less maintenance and generally less hassle. But I have four stroke friends who love them. It’s very much personal preference. I’d be surprised if there weren’t at least a couple riders in your area. Check things like the AMA mag and the web for local events.

That's funny! thanks.. I've seen a few guys with trials bikes in their trucks around here .I might start up a talk with them..I'll say I live in an apartment with three pit bulls..

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 2:40 AM, Snider said:

I'm seriously thinking about a trials bike.. I moved to southern Oregon and I live on 92 acres of fairly rough terrain.. I've had to gear down my fast bikes but I find them too tall and akward to turn around on steep slopes..lots of logs.. I think a trials bike would be fun on this stuff and really help me cut some trails for going faster.. I see Montessa has a 4 stroke Honda and then there are several 2 strokes for offer.. I can't find any used bikes around here but there is a Beta dealer in So Oregon.. I'm thinking 250. any suggestions? I'm 5'9 180lbs.. 2 stroke vs 4?.. I like 2 strokes.. Thanks... Chuck

do you need a house mate from Australia for a few weeks . you'll have to feed me and accommodate me and in return i will ride with you on your 92 acres . 

Contact is more geared to trail riding and playing on. The suspension and brakes are lower spec and the frame is an older generation design. Not that it's a bad bike but for the same Money you can find a much better one a year or two old. You may have to drive more than you'd like, or have it shipped but there are deals out there. If you're not on the Facebook trials bike buy/sell group watch that, also RYP always has lots of them.

• 2 weeks later...
What do you think of the 2015 Honda Montesa Cota 4RT 260 ?.... I see there might be one available with low hours.. Are they quiet?

Great bike. Not my cup of tea (I have a Beta two stroke) but all the current crop of bikes in stock trim are far more capable than 99.9% of the riders in the world. They are all pretty quiet.

It's a tractor. A bit heavier than most trials bikes, but very durable, super quiet at idle, and the FI means no messing with carbs. Lots of people in our club ride them to good effect. You do have to use super expensive oil in the gearbox though, or the clutch won't work right. Being able to get parts at your local Honda dealer is a plus also.

Go to a trials meet and ride as many different bikes as you can.

Any trials bike you get that is ten years old or less will do whatever you want it to. There is nothing wrong with bikes older than 10 years, but parts can be hard to find. For a beginning rider, 2T or 4T dosnt matter either, each has power comparable to the other. What matters is to get a bike you like. I like the weight of a 4T, it makes tight turns easier and I like how quiet it is. My grandson swears by his 2T, to each his own. When we ride together, neither bike has a significant advantage over the other, it's the rider, not the bike that makes the difference. A  bike with the right fit & feel will promote a more relaxed and confident rider. You want to concentrate on what you are doing, not fight with the bike.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nobade said:
14 hours ago, Snider said:
I've secured a 2017 Beta EVO 200... I need a spark arrestor to ride in the BLM areas , Is the Spanishfly insert my only option?

Talk to Dsquared trials. She has a better one for Betas.

Is that a business or a member... Link?