KLX 450R Regulator Rectifier Wiring

Hi All

I have a KLX 450R which I've had some charging issues with. I have replaced the stock stator as the old one was buggered whn I brought the bike. I've got a new R/R and I found that the wiring pin out of the R/R looked to b wrong as I was getting weird readings. I have checked the manual I have for this bike and all it show when testing the R/R internal resistance is Terminal C L B E which don't respond to any ADR wiring colour codes. I found the only picture I could when googling around and changed the pin out of the R/R. I'm now being able to get over 14V DC out of what I think is to be the battery wire which is too much so it looks not to b regulating. I can not find any answers. Anyone able to help out. I plan to make full clearly documented step by step process for fixing charging issues with these bikes to share with all. So any help is good help. I have also attached a copy of the KLX 450R Australian ADR Wiring diagram for those who are looking for it

KLX 450R R.R.png

KLX 450R ADR Wiring Diagram Australia.png

I was having similar issues and decided that the charging system just simply wasn't good enough. So I set the stator away for a DC winding and replace the regulator rectifier the more common unit used on newer bikes. Haven't had a single charging issue since. Sorry this doesn't help you with your exact request but it's my advice not to worry about it and spend your money in time and getting a better charging system put on the bike. I sent mine to Ricky Staters in California but Trail Tech also does a good job as well. I'm sure there's someone in Australia that rewinds those Staters.

Now that I have had a better look at your schematic. It is way more involved than any of the KLX's that came up to North America. I wouldn't be surprised if Kawasaki design a stator for that bike with more output than what they sent to us up here in Canada. Good luck

Just to clear up some info passed.  The Stator does not produce DC power.  It produces AC.  The stator rewind will increase the amount of AC the stator will produce.  The Regulator/Rectifier converts the AC power from the stator to DC, which then charges your battery.  14volts is on the higher side but it will drop when there is a load.  Is it 14VDC with the lights on?  Does it change much with RPM's?

Wow sorry for the late reply but I thought no one was interested. It coming close to Chrissy and I've been as busy as a blue ass fly at work. I got a week off so I will have another shot at fixing it. This time I will take the front head light globe out as the lamp comes on when it is running an test. I may also try to disconnect at the front of the wiring harness so the is no power load on the system. thanks crazyal426 for the comment. Taking the load off the system will give a more accurate reading. I'm aware of how the R/R works. Never had as much hassle on other bikes till I came to this setup. For starters the KLX450R was never intended to be a dual sport bike - words from Kawasaki, which is why the charging system is weak. I've been told there's not too much more significant  more power you can get out of the stator as it is 8 pole and too small, no room under the flywheel. But I don't take you can't do this for an answer, hence why I tried posting it to see what others have done. Unfortunately Ricky stators is not an option for me as I'm in OZ (Shipping, Warranty, ect) will be an issue. Most motorcycle Electricians have said to watch out as they pick up the pieces from customers of dodgy rewinds and R/R. Dose my head in but learning isn't always easy. Ill test it on the weekend an keep yous updated

On 12/17/2018 at 4:32 PM, crazyal426 said:

Just to clear up some info passed.  The Stator does not produce DC power.  It produces AC.  The stator rewind will increase the amount of AC the stator will produce.  The Regulator/Rectifier converts the AC power from the stator to DC, which then charges your battery.  14volts is on the higher side but it will drop when there is a load.  Is it 14VDC with the lights on?  Does it change much with RPM's?

right sorry. should have re-worded that. thx for clarifying. 

• Like 1