05cr85 lots of white smoke.

Finally got my old racing 85 back up and going. Long story short. About 10-11years ago I last raced this bike in the Mauna Kea 200, about a 96mile course with this bike I was only 13 years old, and last I could remember comming to the finish line and blowing my engine to where it had no compression. Now comming to the bike years later I feel it has compression so I rebuild the carb, clean everything from the reeves up, change the plug and oil, and she fires up with the 3rd crank runs and would idle for a lil but a lot of white smoke pours out of the exhaust. Could it be bad seals or should I just keep running be engine and see if it clears up it might be from just sitting for a while but I don’t wana run it and possibly ruin the engine even more.

Nothing got fixed by itself during those 11 years in storage,

if anything the bottom end bearings are likely rusty from the condensation build up

(may explain the white smoke if the head gasket isn't blown)

Nevertheless if you intend on riding it again,

a fresh top end and inspecting the bottom end's condition is a bare minimum if you want a reliable engine.

Carburetor cleaned and brake fluid replaced as well.

Just to be sure, you are posting about a '05 Yamaha YZ85 right?

as this is posted in the Honda small bore XR sub-forum.

Edited by mlatour

10-4 about a CR85   (though still posted in the wrong section)

No matter, the same comments apply as my earlier post, 

a bike that's been sitting that long and, had an engine failure/problem when last ridden simply requires attention before being brought back into use.

I'll also add that the crank seals should be preventatively replaced as well.

RH side fails, no biggie you'll burn transmission lube and spooge/foul plugs

LH side fails, if severe enough the engine will run lean to the point of seizure

Edited by mlatour