Equip '13 Rmz450f with Rekluse or...

I have a '13 Rmz450f that I bought this summer that I've ridden 5 times including one H/S and I am considering dropping to a 250f or installing a Rekluse.

Here's my dilemma, never once have I been scared or gotten myself in trouble by the power of the 450 but I am SLOW and stall all the time since I havent ridden a bike in 15 years. I think I would be fine installing the rekluse but I want to explore dropping to a 250f because maybe just maybe I would stall it less...(lighter, easier to handle)

I do mostly trails and will be racing hare scrambles alot in 2019.

I'm 185 lbs and 5 9.

What do you all think??

Maybe if you're stalling out you need to gear the bike down a bit for the terrain you are riding. That being said you are riding a track bike on the trails so it's not exactly ideal. A rekluse would help immensely with the stalling but if the bike is geared too high for what you're trying to ride it's just going to keep stalling on you.

First I would try going down a tooth on the front sprocket, or up two teeth on the rear and see if it becomes any easier for you. It's cheap and easy to try. 

• Like 1

Maybe if you're stalling out you need to gear the bike down a bit for the terrain you are riding. That being said you are riding a track bike on the trails so it's not exactly ideal. A rekluse would help immensely with the stalling but if the bike is geared too high for what you're trying to ride it's just going to keep stalling on you.

First I would try going down a tooth on the front sprocket, or up two teeth on the rear and see if it becomes any easier for you. It's cheap and easy to try. 
I have stock gearing but I don't want to mess with it too much because I like the smooth delivery of the power. Going down a tooth would make the delivery more aggressive correct?

250F 450f mx race bikes will always stall on anything besides wide quad trails. 

You can try gearing or a flywheel weight but they’re still prone to stalls in slow tech trails. 

If you were to actually consider another bike then shop a 250 300 xcw or TE. Beta Sherco gasgas also make great versions of these. If you want to stay Japanese manufactured and less than 3700$ then buy a used YZ250 and convert it to a yz250x or buy an older euro bike. 

Edited by shrubitup

28 minutes ago, Anothermile said:
13 hours ago, pat22043 said:
Get a 300cc two stroke.

Those are far and few in used market and ones I've found are over 5k. I bought my bike for 3,700.

Very true. Any 300cc two stroke that is under $5K is either 10+ years old or totally worn out. Or even both.

2 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Very true. Any 300cc two stroke that is under $5K is either 10+ years old or totally worn out. Or even both.

My 05 ktm 300 exc was $1500. I’ve spent $1,000 dialing it in and some maintenance items. 14 years old and not worn out. They’re out there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anothermile said:

I have stock gearing but I don't want to mess with it too much because I like the smooth delivery of the power. Going down a tooth would make the delivery more aggressive correct?

Not really, it will make the bike be able to go slower in first gear which is great for trail riding. Your gears will be a little closer together but nothing crazy, you'll still have plenty of top end if you hit a dirt road.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:19 PM, shrubitup said:

250F 450f mx race bikes will always stall on anything besides wide quad trails. 

You can try gearing or a flywheel weight but they’re still prone to stalls in slow tech trails. 

If you were to actually consider another bike then shop a 250 300 xcw or TE. Beta Sherco gasgas also make great versions of these. If you want to stay Japanese manufactured and less than 3700$ then buy a used YZ250 and convert it to a yz250x or buy an older euro bike. 

Why is this? I ride a 450SXF and prior to that an RMZ450 and I do my fair share of slow technical single track and never stall the bike. Nor do any of the other thousands of people that do both. I had a proper remap and a tps adjustment and all was good, no more flameouts. All I added aside from that was a fan and an oversized tank to make it more trail friendly and have had zero issues.

A properly tuned MX bike will do just fine in the woods. It may not be ideal but it works for many. Then I swap tanks and go ride moto. 

Edited by BDubb106

2 minutes ago, BDubb106 said:

Why is this? I ride a 450SXF and prior to that an RMZ450 and I do my fair share of slow technical single track and never stall the bike. Nor do any of the other thousands of people that do both. I had a proper remap and a tps adjustment and all was good, no more flameouts. All I added aside from that was a fan and an oversized tank to make it more trail friendly and have had zero issues.

A properly tuned MX bike will do just fine in the woods. It may not be ideal but it works for many. Then I swap tanks and go ride moto. 

Gnar is not gnar. Everybody has different descriptions and definitions. My slow could be slower than your slow. I do ride all day in first gear except on transfer sections. Yes, I find it fun. Glad you were able to tune your stall out.

i had one mx 450 but it was carbureted and stalled constantly. I had a husky 450 that was FI. The husky was an off road model so it rarely stalled. I haven’t tuned a FI mx bike for slow but most don’t have fans (or wattage to run them) and certainly don’t have a low enough first gear (regardless of sprocket changes) so I’m not interested. Combine this with rock hard deflecting suspension and I’m very much not interested. 

2 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Gnar is not gnar. Everybody has different descriptions and definitions. My slow could be slower than your slow. I do ride all day in first gear except on transfer sections. Yes, I find it fun. Glad you were able to tune your stall out.

i had one mx 450 but it was carbureted and stalled constantly. I had a husky 450 that was FI. The husky was an off road model so it rarely stalled. I haven’t tuned a FI mx bike for slow but most don’t have fans (or wattage to run them) and certainly don’t have a low enough first gear (regardless of sprocket changes) so I’m not interested. Combine this with rock hard deflecting suspension and I’m very much not interested. 

To each their own... but to say all 250/450 mx bikes will always stall on anything besides quad trails is flat out false. I am not the most talented rider out there but I could lug either bike all day long with no issue what so ever. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BDubb106 said:

To each their own... but to say all 250/450 mx bikes will always stall on anything besides quad trails is flat out false. I am not the most talented rider out there but I could lug either bike all day long with no issue what so ever. 

If they don’t stall then they’ll overheat or at the very least deflect off of each rock and root. 

42 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

If they don’t stall then they’ll overheat or at the very least deflect off of each rock and root. 

Sure... funny how mine don't, and I know plenty of others who don't have any of those issues. Anyways, I'm done arguing a point that you obviously won't concede. I'll continue to ride and race my 450 in the woods even though it is incapable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BDubb106 said:

Sure... funny how mine don't, and I know plenty of others who don't have any of those issues. Anyways, I'm done arguing a point that you obviously won't concede. I'll continue to ride and race my 450 in the woods even though it is incapable. 

Ok so what you’re saying is that they shouldn’t sell xcf or exc models then because the sxf does it all without any limitations. 

• Like 1

If you reverse the roles and ask what benefits a traditional clutch has over a Rekluse the argument usually ends pretty abruptly. It's kinda like having 4x4 in a rocky mountain winter, you don't absolutely need it but it sure helps. If it makes somebody more capable and confident on the bike then I'm all for it. I probably won't have one on my next bike because while they're awesome tech, you also pay for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Ok so what you’re saying is that they shouldn’t sell xcf or exc models then because the sxf does it all without any limitations. 

OK last response to this, I'm sure this is not what the OP wants to read.

Lets not add to the story...:excuseme:

I NEVER said that. I said they are not ideal but they DO work. If you are primarily an MX guy that still enjoys riding woods and single track for a change of pace, you buy an MX bike and learn to ride it in the woods. The opposite applies if you are a woods guy who likes to take the occasional trip to the track, you buy a woods oriented bike and make it work on the track. Making the necessary adjustments its part of the process unless you want to buy two bikes. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2