PaydayGabe

What say you folks? Keep the thumb throttle?

Purchased my first Quad in September(Kawi KFX700) used.

Great deal on the beast.

As the title indicates, I'm not too comfortable with the thumb throttle coming from a motorcycle background.

I've ridden my sister's quad when back east and during hard turns it just felt wrong. So, would it be advisable to convert to a standard twist type throttle or tough it out and ride as is. Why are they on quads in the first place? Its not a damn snowmobile🤷‍♂️.

Give me your thoughts and wisdom please.

Thanks, and ride safe.

G.

• Confused 1

Thumb throttle on those prevent getting bucked on bouncy whoops, accidentally getting whiskey throttle, then having 450lbs plus coming backwards on you. I ride both, no way would I want a twist throttle on an ATV.

• Like 2

Thumb throttle on those prevent getting bucked on bouncy whoops, accidentally getting whiskey throttle, then having 450lbs plus coming backwards on you. I ride both, no way would I want a twist throttle on an ATV.
Thanks for your reply Morph. Appreciate your time and advice.
Ride" as is "then.
This is the beast.
I definitely don't want it on my head🤯. Or any other body parts . Cheers,G.20181004_144713.jpeg
  • Like 1

Good looking bike. Those always looked pretty beefy. We run the Raptor 700's, so I don't know too much about the KFX's
Thanks,, V-twin, CVT clutch, shaft drive, Duel Exhaust system.
Plus all kinds of extra goodies(sand tires/ramps/fuel cans and some gear)for $1800.
It needed a carb service as it had sat for a few years.
I found an old trailer I'm refurbishing for $100.
Good to go. I'd call it the deal of the year. 🤩
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I ride an 05 KFX700 and a WR450 no problems with the thumb throttle. You will get used to it real quick. I also bought my KFX not running to good. Took carbs off. Good cleaning . Back in business. One thing to check is the choke cable. It has a joint in it to pull the choke on both carbs. It has that white factory grease in the joint that tends to get a little hard over the years. Prevents the choked from operating correctly(rich). Clean all the old grease out of the cable joint and lube the cable real good. Problem solved.
I also put on a tethered kill switch for piece of mind. Enjoy that beast you are going to have a blast riding it. I know I do.

• Like 1

I ride an 05 KFX700 and a WR450 no problems with the thumb throttle. You will get used to it real quick. I also bought my KFX not running to good. Took carbs off. Good cleaning . Back in business. One thing to check is the choke cable. It has a joint in it to pull the choke on both carbs. It has that white factory grease in the joint that tends to get a little hard over the years. Prevents the choked from operating correctly(rich). Clean all the old grease out of the cable joint and lube the cable real good. Problem solved.
I also put on a tethered kill switch for piece of mind. Enjoy that beast you are going to have a blast riding it. I know I do.
Thanks, the tether switch is a great idea.
The PO indicated the machine has less than 40 total hrs use which is completely possible considering the overall condition. I always do a complete service on any new purchase. So far no issues other than the carby/fuel sys. clean. Looking forward to testing it asap.

I would never ride a sport quad with a thumb throttle. Never had any issues with twist throttle, if whiskey throttle or getting bucked by whoops is an issue your technique needs serious work. It's harder to hold steady throttle over whoops with a thumb throttle than a twist throttle imo. 

The reason they do a thumb throttle is so when you flip the quad the throttle doesn't get stuck open, since quads like to sit upside down after being rolled. If you run bark busters they greatly reduce the chance of that happening. 

It's all based on preference really. I've always kept the stock thumb throttle on my utility quads because it allows me to control throttle and steer with one hand, while I use the other hand to spray weeds. On my Raptor the thumb throttle was the first thing I removed, and was the best mod I did to it (aside from nerf bars maybe).

Use what youre comfortable with. My  wifes quad has a twist. Shes not a motorcycle rider but finds,as i do, thumb throttle to be painful quickly. 

My question has alway been why lose your thumb for grip? Horrible idea for sport riding in my opinion.

There is no more whiskey throttle chance than on a motorcycle. 

• Like 2

I can ride both, however my thumb gets sore on all day rides..might be the twin carbs.

• Like 1

There’s a safety/liability issue here. NONE of the manufacturers send their machines out of the factory with anything but a thumb throttle. 

Twist or thumb, safety lanyard is a great addition 

• Like 1

I ride both, and left the thumb throttle on the Yami Warrior for a while before swapping to a twist. it became apparent pretty fast that if you ride rough ground that is causing constant rapid shifts to stay in control & comfortable, the workout my thumb got transferred to my hand, wrist, arm, and then the nerves cried uncle. When I couldn’t feel my fingers 24x7 and my elbow hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep, it was time to change what was causing the trauma. Had to stay off the quad & bike for a month. Changed to a twist, and after my arm recovered, never had an issue again. Everyone is different structurally, maybe there is a weakness in my right arm, but with my XR400, bow hunting, woodcutting, blacksmithing, etc, the only thing that caused me grief was the thumb throttle

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 1:43 PM, PaydayGabe said:

Purchased my first Quad in September(Kawi KFX700) used.

Great deal on the beast.

As the title indicates, I'm not too comfortable with the thumb throttle coming from a motorcycle background.

I've ridden my sister's quad when back east and during hard turns it just felt wrong. So, would it be advisable to convert to a standard twist type throttle or tough it out and ride as is. Why are they on quads in the first place? Its not a damn snowmobile🤷‍♂️.

Give me your thoughts and wisdom please.

Thanks, and ride safe.

emoji41.pngemoji106.png G.

My suggestion is get rid of this quad before it gets rid of you the small quads are evil and have a bad habit of throwing riders off then jumping all over them so the bigger the quad the more sinister it will be i say sell it to save yourself from a lot of hospital bills

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You should ditch the thumb throttle for a twist throttle as well as two of the wheels🤣
Ha, , I actually ditched my dirt bikes for the quad.
With the hopes of less chance of serious injury.
I guess time will tell🤞.

My suggestion is get rid of this quad before it gets rid of you the small quads are evil and have a bad habit of throwing riders off then jumping all over them so the bigger the quad the more sinister it will be i say sell it to save yourself from a lot of hospital bills
Hey, , any machine can put a whooping on you if you're a careless fool. I have no intention of blasting the desert. Hopefully I don't evolve into a careless fool🤞and hurt myself.

I ride both, and left the thumb throttle on the Yami Warrior for a while before swapping to a twist. it became apparent pretty fast that if you ride rough ground that is causing constant rapid shifts to stay in control & comfortable, the workout my thumb got transferred to my hand, wrist, arm, and then the nerves cried uncle. When I couldn’t feel my fingers 24x7 and my elbow hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep, it was time to change what was causing the trauma. Had to stay off the quad & bike for a month. Changed to a twist, and after my arm recovered, never had an issue again. Everyone is different structurally, maybe there is a weakness in my right arm, but with my XR400, bow hunting, woodcutting, blacksmithing, etc, the only thing that caused me grief was the thumb throttle
I appreciate your wisdom.
I'll give the thumb throttle a few rides and make my decision then. See how the hand feels. Thanks,, G.

You can also get different throttle housings. I am on another forum where we are going in on a group buy for the Urmosi throttle assembly. You can make adjustments to the thumb throttle for less fatigue. Check out their website as well.

You can also get different throttle housings. I am on another forum where we are going in on a group buy for the Urmosi throttle assembly. You can make adjustments to the thumb throttle for less fatigue. Check out their website as well.
Thanks Morph, I'll have a look see.