brent214

05 yz 125 mint vs 06 yz 125 fair condition

I’ve come across this 05 yz125 that the owner claims has only been ridden on fire roads a few times. Wants $2900

This 06 yz125 is senior ridden who is the second owner and he claims to have only ridden it once per year the 10 years he’s had it. Wants $2800.

I’m leaning towards the more cherry looking 05, but just kind of wonder if it’s a risk because it seems like it has been sitting for possibly years.

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1719.JPGIMG_1720.JPGIMG_1721.JPG

Neither, they are both overpriced. The 06 has the better forks.

And it's usually hard to tell from pictures whether a bike is in good condition. Read some articles on how to inspect used motorcycles.

Edited by 2strokeYardSale

Neither, they are both overpriced. The 06 has the better forks.

And it's usually hard to tell from pictures whether a bike is in good condition. Read some articles on how to inspect used motorcycles.

I think you are right about the prices, but that is unfortunately just how the market is for used yz125s right now, these are the cheapest one I could find in my area. I think if I got the 05 I would eventually, sooner or later swap the AOS forks for a set of SSS.

Advertised and actual selling prices are way different things. People scoff at KBB and NADA but they are based on actual average selling prices, noy just made up numbers. This is off season too in most of the country and demand is down.

Never trust a seller. Both bikes do not look as 'pristine' as they are saying. You need to look with a eagle eye, see service records.

Advertised and actual selling prices are way different things. People scoff at KBB and NADA but they are based on actual average selling prices, noy just made up numbers. This is off season too in most of the country and demand is down.
Never trust a seller. Both bikes do not look as 'pristine' as they are saying. You need to look with a eagle eye, see service records.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/2005-yz125-all-original-low/6744215716.html
Just found this one listed for a better deal, think I’m going to see it tomorrow for myself.

2 minutes ago, brent214 said:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/2005-yz125-all-original-low/6744215716.html
Just found this one listed for a better deal, think I’m going to see it tomorrow for myself.

Again, top dollar. '...bought from an old lady....' Seriously? Sounds more like the guy is a flipper.

Bring a sharp eyed, knowledgeable friend. Beware of lipstick on a pig.

• Like 1

Again, top dollar. '...bought from an old lady....' Seriously? Sounds more like the guy is a flipper.

Thanks,
I like to think I’ll check the compression, see if many of the radiator fins are still straight, look for any rust or wear on the frame+engine components, see if the subframe is bent or not, not sure what else to observe that may be hidden..

13 minutes ago, William1 said:

It needs a chain and sprockets.  It's missing a bolt that holds the stator cover on and figure in a rebuild too since it's a 125 that supposedly hasn't been opened up.

It does sound/look like a flipper IMO too.

• Like 1

The guy does seem to be a bit full of it, saying it’s “all original” when even the graphics aren’t oem they are a replica set

2 hours ago, brent214 said:

Ha, I knew you were in California from the prices on the previous bikes. I flagged that guy as Prohibited for his keyword spamming. Other than that, it's worth a look.

2 hours ago, brent214 said:

The guy does seem to be a bit full of it, saying it’s “all original” when even the graphics aren’t oem they are a replica set

Both rims have been replaced with excels too.  Why does a bike that was barely ridden need new rims???  Seems kinda fishy to me.

3 hours ago, brent214 said:

Missing ignition cover screw....:thumbsdn:

Chain stretched out and on last possible setting (axle pushed WAY back). Pretty shiny new graphics though.

I mean, I would certainly consider buying it but not at his asking price.

2 hours ago, 2strokeYardSale said:

YZs have come stock with Excels for a long time

Guess it depends on model year and specific market specs,

as my 2010 YZ125 came with DID's as the OEM rims.

Edited by mlatour

1 hour ago, brent214 said:

So would you say it looks better than the other 05 I posted?

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yz125/6738397682.html

05 looks less hours. Those are original graphics that saw a pressure washer once or twice. They peeled right off back then. If you're not racing competitively then I wouldn't obsess over AOSS or SSS forks.

• Like 1

The 05 for sure. Get the suspension done by a good tuner if need be and enjoy. Better condition is priceless to me.

• Like 1