I think I’ll be an ex-690 owner

3 hours ago, DrKayak said:

Counting the cost of mods? :thinking:

I took the bike nearly back to stock, sold the mods off and what I did leave I didn't pay for. I have a few connections. Even so, I don't mod out my bikes to the nth degree. Just what I think are essentials are really useful stuff.

• Like 1

IMG_3361.JPG

At a dealer near me. I’ll demo one of them as soon as the roads here in NH allow it. I ask your opinion: is the “R” model worth $1k more than the standard? I realize the R has an up grade on the tires and suspension. Also, what do you guys think of the quick shift option?

On 2/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, PPK said:

IMG_3361.JPG

At a dealer near me. I’ll demo one of them as soon as the roads here in NH allow it. I ask your opinion: is the “R” model worth $1k more than the standard? I realize the R has an up grade on the tires and suspension. Also, what do you guys think of the quick shift option?

Suspension difference is huge IMHO.  Fully adjustable versus fixed.  For anyone wanting to do more than graded roads it will make a huge difference. That quick adjust preload is pretty sweet to. Hitting sand? Reach down and give the fork pre-load a twist. ;) 

Tires: A consumable.  I wouldn't ever make a bike purchase decision on that. 

Height:  The standard version has an 850mm seat height, the R version has a 880mm seat height. I've got long legs and I hear the seat to peg distance is pretty small and the same on both bikes. With the taller bike I can drop 20-30mm on the pegs if needed.  

QS: Meh, I'm used to clutch work/clutchless shifting. I don't really see the advantage in a bike like this.  Also, some ride reports have mentioned the QS is pretty sensitive and just barely touching the shifter causes it to shift, that might not be a good thing for me.   I'll be looking at heated grips and possibly (Gasp) the cruise control for long transport sections... 

Have you laid eyes on one at your dealer? I've not heard any reports yet of a dealer with one on the floor in the US. 

I haven’t seen one yet. According to their websites, the dealers near me each have one of each model. I haven’t visited them yet.

On 11/10/2018 at 11:06 PM, HevyRotashunz said:
On 11/10/2018 at 10:41 PM, shrubitup said:
You will need to sell the 701, DRZ, and YZ to me .... .. ... at significant loss to you. emoji106.png

Oh i'm keeping the 701 lol. I just got the drz ready to sell though. New timing chain and guides, fresh plug and fuel filter, valves adjusted, oil and filters, fresh grips and throttle cable, newer brake disc and pads etc. I always like to be sure stuff is right before moving it along.

This touched my heart after being ripped off on my first motorcycle ever.  Great motto and morals.

• Like 1

I have a 19 690 r and a 790 adv r on order from a local dealer. I’m only going to keep one of them but watching desert riding videos does not help me make any type of decision so I’m going to keep my 690 and when my 790 shows up I’m going to ride them both and see which one works better for me. I do a lot of backroad/gravel road and some easy quad trails and single track. I really like what I’m reading/watching about the 790 on pavement but I’m really worried about the extra weight off road. I guess I’m like a lot of people, looking for that perfect mix of on-off road. For me I guess what it all comes down to is how comfortable do I want to be getting to the off road part then what will my limitations be when I do get to the off road part....

Reading through these posts here my two takeaways are 1. Bryan you are crazy for parting ways with the 690 and 2. I cannot in good faith pay top dollar for KTM when it is being produced in China. That's beyond words disgusting to me.

PS. Bryan your still a good man in my eyes. Lol

Sold it today :( Have to ride my Honda Monkey for a month or so till my 790 comes in . I’ll let you all know how I like it...

I have a 19 690 r and a 790 adv r on order from a local dealer. I’m only going to keep one of them but watching desert riding videos does not help me make any type of decision so I’m going to keep my 690 and when my 790 shows up I’m going to ride them both and see which one works better for me. I do a lot of backroad/gravel road and some easy quad trails and single track. I really like what I’m reading/watching about the 790 on pavement but I’m really worried about the extra weight off road. I guess I’m like a lot of people, looking for that perfect mix of on-off road. For me I guess what it all comes down to is how comfortable do I want to be getting to the off road part then what will my limitations be when I do get to the off road part....
Im setting up a tow rig to drag my yz250 behind my Concours14. Is that a dual sport or what?
  • Haha 1