2018 + 2019 EC 250/300 Reviews---anybody?

Hi Guys

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2019 EC 300.  Oddly, for what seems like an awesome bike there is very little feedback from owners.  Anyone care to share their thought/likes/dislikes regarding the 2018 + 2019 EC (and XC too)?  Seems like its the perfect hybrid of a KTM and Yamaha two-stroke (Keihin carb/KYB/electric start).

Bike will be used primarily for eastern rocky gnarly woods and endure riding.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Do it you won't regret it. I have an 18 xc and love it. Out of the box hands down best bike I have ever owned. Only complaints are the twin wall bars are too stiff and runs fat off idle. Do a little more research and you'll find more info on that. Simple fix.

I hear they are really good from what I’ve read and heard from guys at the track. The guy who won the NY Off Road championship was on one this year. I think GG or the Sherco FC are my two favorite if I were in the market

• Like 1

I got my 18 EC300 in April precisely for the reasons you suggest. 300 2T with KYB suspension, if Yamaha made an estart 2T I would have looked no farther. I am a 225 lb 56 yo C rider, HS and Enduro on the NY PA border. I came from 2 seasons on a 15 YZ250FX which was also a great bike. I wanted something I could ride lazy and or tired that didn't care so much what gear it was in and didn't weigh as much as the obvious 450 answer.

They come jetted rich I ended up dropping pilot and main one size.

I have 60 hrs and 500 or so miles on it. It is exactly what I hoped for, manageble power (lots of it), great suspension, handles like nothing else I've ridden. The adjustable power valve helped me gradually get used to the power. I had it pretty mellow and just gave the pv a 1/4 turn as I got comfortable.

Stock tires on EC are hard Metzler dual sport, I have had Shinkos on all year and like them. My only issue was self inflicted by having the dealer "spring it for my weight and ability". I fought the stiff front suspension for a long time. Finally pulled the fork springs ( the rear was perfect with what he did), the fork springs were heavy enough for a 500 lb AA rider 😁.

I put the stock springs back in, the bike is perfect for me. It eats the small stuff, handles the big stuff, goes exactly where you point it and is a 300 😀.

Broken stuff, the EC has a big multi function switch that holds lights estart horn and even directionals, that just recenently took out the lights and estart 😨(backup kicker works fine) .There is a LOT going on in that switch. Now the XC's just have an estart button and a kill switch. I am going to try to eliminate that switch this winter.

My bike had the updated battery wiring when I got it, estart works great except for the switch. 

I intend to have this one along time (unless there's a Yamaha YZ300X in the works 😁).

Edited by jgl1962
  • Like 4

I have an 18 XC300 and the bike has been awesome. Rode the NEPG series on it this year for the win. Suspension is excellent stock, bike turns great, and I had zero mechanical issues thus far. I've owned a ton of bikes the last 5 years and this one is at the top of the group..........

• Like 5

I was getting on here to State the same thing as far as how little info I've found searching all known resources these past few days. I'm in the market for a new bike and I has decided on a pre-owned yz250x yet I wouldn't pass up a great deal on any woods 2 stroke especially beta, gas gas, or sherco. Well I'm frantically trying to get my bike sold and I'm willing to take nearly 2 grand less than what I could get just so I can go scoop up this amazing deal on a 2018 gas gas 250xc. It was raced but the guy is a professional mechanic who works at a shop and said if I buy it I will get all parts at cost. Also if anything out of the ordinary were to happen they would fox it for nothing. I guess I can mention some details since he hasn't posted in or anything I just don't want anyone going scoop it up out from under me but he wants 4500 for this beautiful bike that has 50 hours but looks like it has ten. Itd been freshened up in every way and I have every one at the shop assuring me there won't be any issues in they will take care of me as long as I have the bike. I'm pumped about this and I really want that thing. What are the differences from the 18 and 19? How noticeable is the extra weight compared to similar bikes made by others?

• Like 4

You have already said too much young man, control yourself.  ;)

Edited by Piney Woods

Thanks guys.  I’m horny for a GasGas now.  Plus they just announced some pretty good incentives on leftover 2018’s.  Christmas may come a little early this year. 

• Like 2

I posted a very in depth review in the forum a few months ago.  From a critical mind, in may benefit you on the positives and negatives from someone that has zero skin in the game.

Great review em-efer. Although I’m a B rider, I think we ride pretty similar terrain. I have a pretty well set up Husky TE300.  With the Mikuni swapped for a Kehein the engine is pretty good.  The problem is I had a Yamaha/KYB and know how good suspension feels.  I go back and forth between KTM (TPI sounds good to me) or a new GasGas with KYB.  Or, not sell a perfectly good bike for no reason. 

I was getting on here to State the same thing as far as how little info I've found searching all known resources these past few days. I'm in the market for a new bike and I has decided on a pre-owned yz250x yet I wouldn't pass up a great deal on any woods 2 stroke especially beta, gas gas, or sherco. Well I'm frantically trying to get my bike sold and I'm willing to take nearly 2 grand less than what I could get just so I can go scoop up this amazing deal on a 2018 gas gas 250xc. It was raced but the guy is a professional mechanic who works at a shop and said if I buy it I will get all parts at cost. Also if anything out of the ordinary were to happen they would fox it for nothing. I guess I can mention some details since he hasn't posted in or anything I just don't want anyone going scoop it up out from under me but he wants 4500 for this beautiful bike that has 50 hours but looks like it has ten. Itd been freshened up in every way and I have every one at the shop assuring me there won't be any issues in they will take care of me as long as I have the bike. I'm pumped about this and I really want that thing. What are the differences from the 18 and 19? How noticeable is the extra weight compared to similar bikes made by others?

$4500 is a steal. You should jump on that deal quickly!

On 11/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, Piney Woods said:

You have already said too much young man, control yourself.  ;)

Man I was really hoping this wouldn't be anything like the KTM section. Guess I'll have to pass pass on trying to get info here. Sorry I'm totally joking and I started writing that about a week ago but lost my phone and just got situated with this new one. I seriously was joking and I guess you could say being out of town on vacation and that delaying me getting the bike have me a little excited but I did pick it up and I love it.  

IMG_20181127_040448651.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, GOOD2Geaux said:

Man I was really hoping this wouldn't be anything like the KTM section. Guess I'll have to pass pass on trying to get info here. Sorry I'm totally joking and I started writing that about a week ago but lost my phone and just got situated with this new one. I seriously was joking and I guess you could say being out of town on vacation and that delaying me getting the bike have me a little excited but I did pick it up and I love it.  

Well shoot it only updated the pic after 1 ride at the 28 miles of singletrack 6 minutes from my house. I discovered this spot mid summer and it happens to be the best/most fun stuff I've ridden. It's just the right amount of everything challenging/tight-technical/and besides it completing me what every writer dreams of as far as having an awesome spot to ride that you can get to without loading up it's the best flowing stuff I've been on. I'm addicted to it and I have been hitting it three and four times a week and it's definitely created a new level of love for riding. The second ride was at some new single-track about 12 minutes away and it's pretty damn good too. Currently trying to get all the stuff I have been working on behind the house laid down and connected because I have marked and somewhat ridden in 4 loops that are all at least 4 miles and this is on the side of the mountain behind my house where it has the potential to be the best riding around if I can get some dang help

IMG_20181121_142129719_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181121_142146541_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GOOD2Geaux said:

:thumbsup: What I meant was that you were giving too much dealer info and someone else was going to scoop up that bike before you did.  If I had been closer,,,,,,,,,,,,,

10 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

If I had been closer,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don’t let geography rule your bike choice. Find a deal and have it shipped to you. Most only charge $400 for this on uship dot com.

• Like 1

What I meant was that you were giving too much dealer info and someone else was going to scoop up that bike before you did.  If I had been closer,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No I know and that's the last thing I wanted to do after already missing out on some nice deals. They weren't near as good as this so I guess it worked out. It usually does if patient and persistent.
  • Like 1