Beta 250/300 rr Boyesen radvalve?

Holcombes bike runs a stock pipe and reed valve just for reference sake. Seems Holcombes bike is pretty much stock most everywhere.. oh well. Good I guess but to figure if these aftermarket  reed valves and how good or bad they are ?  The question to me is where is there a place in the poweband that’s got room for improvement?? So maybe no one or very very few have tried one of these upgrade reed valve. 

4BED441B-F1EC-460F-A660-9ED5E85F9E3D.png

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Holcombes bike runs a stock pipe and reed valve just for reference sake. Seems Holcombes bike is pretty much stock most everywhere.. oh well. Good I guess but to figure if these aftermarket  reed valves and how good or bad they are ?  The question to me is where is there a place in the poweband that’s got room for improvement?? So maybe no one or very very few have tried one of these upgrade reed valve. 

4BED441B-F1EC-460F-A660-9ED5E85F9E3D.thumb.png.965f3a440bc88554fa61910965597725.png

I really think you need to see these as an “alternative” reed cage assembly/design.

The standard VForce system works very well for the Beta’s, and everyone likes the bikes idle-mid-top transitions.

Where I’ve found success with the Boyesen system in the past, and actually presently compared to old style metal reeds. I have their system presently in my Honda NS400R and love their 2 stage system, but we’re talking bout old school Vs. new school.

IMHO, there “may” be improvements in the transition bottom to mid, though quietly I’d think very little increase.

If for some reason I needed to buy a complete new reed block assembly I might try ‘em.

With my years playing with reed valve 2-stroke road racing motorcycles and spending time on the Dyno the Boyesen helped in lower rpm transitions, maybe a couple HP per cylinder earlier in the rpm range, but only compared to metal reeds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark-us-B said:

I really think you need to see these as an “alternative” reed cage assembly/design.

The standard VForce system works very well for the Beta’s, and everyone likes the bikes idle-mid-top transitions.

Where I’ve found success with the Boyesen system in the past, and actually presently compared to old style metal reeds. I have their system presently in my Honda NS400R and love their 2 stage system, but we’re talking bout old school Vs. new school.

IMHO, there “may” be improvements in the transition bottom to mid, though quietly I’d think very little increase.

If for some reason I needed to buy a complete new reed block assembly I might try ‘em.

With my years playing with reed valve 2-stroke road racing motorcycles and spending time on the Dyno the Boyesen helped in lower rpm transitions, maybe a couple HP per cylinder earlier in the rpm range, but only compared to metal reeds.

Yea well that’s the thing. Beta’s work awesome stock. There’s nothing to do . There’s no sense of need to me. Still there’s a vforce 4 which is a different design and boyesen radvalve is another design than the vforce3 that comes stock. I mean on my 01 cr 250 honda there was a positive difference with a vforce and radvalve but it wasn’t a massive improvement . A Beta 2 stroke enduro is great as is. Still if they researched and worked on an improved reedvalve. How do these work??? I got the RK head. It’s good. It’s not like I needed it at all. Stock is fine. I will get a cooler running bike that has more torque overall and worth it enough to me. Im wondering if there is or isn’t a noticeable difference with the 2 different new offerings for reedvalves. It’s looking like around $160 to under $200 or so after shipping and tax. Ive never heard of anyone actually reviewing these. 

I cannot tell whether the Boyesen cage in the pic is a 'dual stage' reed or not. But I will digress.

My RM 250 had a steel reed valve that was two petals side by side, not top and bottom.

Anyway, I switched it out for a two stage fiberglass job; the big reeds had holes in the center with smaller, lighter reeds covering those holes.

Night and day difference! The lag through the rpm to get to pipe went away! Rather than a big hit coming later, torque was firm and solid all the way; WAY more bottom end filling the gap.

So, when I started looking at smokers, I knew the reed was a key element that I would upgrade at some point.

Another plus in the Beta column as it already came with a trick reed setup. :banana:

• Like 4

I installed rad valve on my old KX250. Made it more torque oriented and helped with grunt. Fitment was excellent. I have one on my KTM 300EXC and also like it (came installed when I bought the bike used). I like the metal construction of the whole one piece unit vice plastic found in the V-Farce.

• Like 2

So no info seems to be out there when it comes to Beta 2 strokes. Seems like almost no one has posted up on these options.  So when looking outside Beta it also seems to be a wash when looking at ktm and yamaha and whatever brands . I see some comparisons when ktm dropped using vforce and got some other copy reed valves.I guess some of those were defective and guys put radvalves and vforce to remedy. Thats comparing to the sometimes subpar Ktm reedvalves that don’t seem to be that good. Beta vforce3 seem quite good so?? I figure this mod might not be much of a difference to the vforce that comes stock on Beta . Still no actual review from anyone. So no vforce4 or Boyesen radvalve review for Beta. .. yet

Boyesen is a dual frequency.

Smaller, thinner petals open easier on lower engine speeds but they will flutter on upper revs. Also intake area, should be greater (than vf3-4) when the large petals start opening. 

Vf3 has no Reed stops but vf4 has on the outer petals. Perhaps they are trying to streamline the flow towards the center. Which perhaps is distracted due to the 2 reed petal pairs. 

For the Reed cage material, what matters is durability and its resistance to warping.... 

• Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Boyesen is a dual frequency.

Smaller, thinner petals open easier on lower engine speeds but they will flutter on upper revs. Also intake area, should be greater (than vf3-4) when the large petals start opening. 

Vf3 has no Reed stops but vf4 has on the outer petals. Perhaps they are trying to streamline the flow towards the center. Which perhaps is distracted due to the 2 reed petal pairs. 

For the Reed cage material, what matters is durability and its resistance to warping.... 

Have you heard of any using of these on Beta? Just wondering as these are more recently for sale for Beta. I’m not seeing any real demand. .. but hey if they are making and selling?

Got the powernow carb inserts too. Looking at the vforce it looks like there is some sort of similar type element in with the reedvalve too..

https://www.google.com/search?q=scary+fast+power+now+plus&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjVy96_yNzeAhXDHjQIHfKhAuYQ_AUoAnoECBIQAg&biw=414&bih=617

274B74ED-56E2-4141-9B2C-3171DABAC88B.png

3 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Snow?

I'm not thinking they expect 7 extra hp out of a 300.

You know the trick.. 

UP To 7 HP.. that means less..

Might be up to a hundred horsepower.  I don’t take hp claims too seriously. If it’s better than stock maybe that’s enough depending on total cost and how much more performance. 

10 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You know the trick.. 

UP To 7 HP.. that means less..

I stay away from companies that use 'tall' **COUGH** Lectron **COUGH** 'tales' for marketing.

I have a QS3 on my Suzuki and it delivers just as promised. If I hadn't already installed my own Hot Start, I would have bought their QS3 that had the AP cutoff option built right in. Boyesen delivers! ?

• Like 2