VForce 3 or Boyesen Reed Valve or Remove stoppers?

Your reeds are worn out. And don't even thing about trying to run them with just the screws. There isn't enough clamping area to support the reed. You'll be lucky if they last 5 minutes.

See the thin spots about 2/3's the way back? That's where they've been flexing off the stoppers. Not to mention the tattered edges. Easiest way to tell if a carbon reed is worn, other than the tips, is just by holding up to the light and looking for thin spots. The resin will actually wear away from the carbon and make thin spots.

Just get the Boyesen reeds and you'll swear it was the best $50 you ever spent on your bike, next to a fresh ring.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 218 said:

Your reeds are worn out. And don't even thing about trying to run them with just the screws. There isn't enough clamping area to support the reed. You'll be lucky if they last 5 minutes.

See the thin spots about 2/3's the way back? That's where they've been flexing off the stoppers. Not to mention the tattered edges. Easiest way to tell if a carbon reed is worn, other than the tips, is just by holding up to the light and looking for thin spots. The resin will actually wear away from the carbon and make thin spots.

Just get the Boyesen reeds and you'll swear it was the best $50 you ever spent on your bike, next to a fresh ring.

Just installed a fresh piston and ring... I looked at the reeds in the light, no thinning. Oh, forgot to mention that I sawed off the stoppers and left the bracket on there so the screws will be supported. Already installed. But yea, I'll buy the Boyesen probably next week... wanaa see how the bike runs without stoppers and a 40 pilot.

• Like 1