kxrob

2019 Gas gas (torrot) txe

Does it have a clutch so that you can get the motor spinning up and dump it for more launchability?

Alta and Zero did it all wrong. The first markets for electric dirt motorcycles will be minibikes for kids and trials. Neither one needs much range, and quiet is great for both (junior can do laps in the back yard while dad is practicing riding over all sorts of things he shouldn't at the local park).

I would love an electric trials bike, but the price would have to come down a lot for me to buy one.

Edit: I just read and it does have a clutch and even gears!

Edited by woods-rider
  • Like 2

Yes, it has a clutch and a transmission. Wouldn't be much good otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

20 HP. That doesn't sound like much, but maybe that is in line with other gas trials bikes?

Measuring an electric motor in HP is kinda pointless. Need Torque ratings, and coupled with the ability to produce that torque at 0 RPM. 

• Like 1

Just now, intimdatr said:

Measuring an electric motor in HP is kinda pointless. Need Torque ratings, and coupled with the ability to produce that torque at 0 RPM. 

It's got a clutch, not much riding will be done at 0 rpm I would suspect. But, I do get your point. I was just trying to get a rough idea of where it stands against the gas competition. At 152 lbs it's right in the hunt for weight.

• Like 1

Shouldn't they be changing the company name to Amp Amp....or ...Volt Volt...or...Watt Watt?......Capacitor Capacitor just seems a little clumsy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, travertt said:

Shouldn't they be changing the company name to Amp Amp....or ...Volt Volt...or...Watt Watt?......Capacitor Capacitor just seems a little clumsy.

No Gas No Gas?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, nobade said:

Yes, it has a clutch and a transmission. Wouldn't be much good otherwise.

I've ridden an Alta dirt bike and a Zero street bike.  No clutch or transmission needed on either.  The Alta would wheelie and/or spin the tire from a stop.  I rode the Zero at a roadrace track.  It had impressive take off and top speed. 

• Like 1

I've ridden an Alta dirt bike and a Zero street bike.  No clutch or transmission needed on either.  The Alta would wheelie and/or spin the tire from a stop.  I rode the Zero at a roadrace track.  It had impressive take off and top speed. 
Absolutely. Most electric bikes wouldn't need it, but trials bikes are different. You feed the power to it with the clutch while holding the throttle relatively steady. No other bikes get ridden like that, other than maybe hard enduro.
  • Like 1

The oset trials bikes don't have a clutch and they work fine. I think the only reason a clutch is needed is we have riders who need them as they have developed a style based on using the clutch. No need to rev and clutch as the motor can simply make the power without moving. A gas motor can't do that so you have to use a clutch. I can see gears being needed, but probably only 2, one for sections and one for roads. Give it 10 years and I bet the style of riding will be different based on how the electric motor works.

What will be important is programming the power vs rpm vs throttle opening. It will be a complete shift in how power is delivered. On my car, it limits power applied at low speed as it will overload the tires. Power is ramped as speed increases. It also brakes and it's all controlled by the throttle. Hardly ever use the friction brakes.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, slotracer577 said:

The oset trials bikes don't have a clutch and they work fine. I think the only reason a clutch is needed is we have riders who need them as they have developed a style based on using the clutch. No need to rev and clutch as the motor can simply make the power without moving. A gas motor can't do that so you have to use a clutch. I can see gears being needed, but probably only 2, one for sections and one for roads. Give it 10 years and I bet the style of riding will be different based on how the electric motor works.

Its more than just having power. With the engine spinning and you not moving, there is inertia there. When you dump the clutch, you get the power of the motor PLUS the inertia that is contained with the spinning flywheel to help launch you. Also, dropping a clutch can be done quicker, with more precision, and with less body movement than going from zero to 80% throttle in order to launch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Its more than just having power. With the engine spinning and you not moving, there is inertia there. When you dump the clutch, you get the power of the motor PLUS the inertia that is contained with the spinning flywheel to help launch you. Also, dropping a clutch can be done quicker, with more precision, and with less body movement than going from zero to 80% throttle in order to launch.

Very good explanation.  I like.  I never thought about the inertia adding to the initial power.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Trashrider said:

Looks expensive

good thing is that you can buy all the running gear , motor, trans, battery pack from gas gas / torrot and slide it into any modern style trials bike with a perimeter frame ie: gas gas , scorpa , sherco maybe montesa and beta but there frames look to bulk to fit . might get away with it once you remove the gas tank. 

12 hours ago, Trashrider said:

Looks expensive

Found a shop taking orders for them here in the USA.  

Torrott and Gas Gas launch there all new TXE model, the first electric bike with a full mechanical clutch and 6 speed gearbox.

The bike has been developed by Torrot, a leading manufacturer of electric bike / scooters and has encorporated a state of the art electric motor that is both powerful and very effiecent.

Weighing in at a light 150lbs and uses the chrome moly frame the tried and trusted txtpro has used for many years, the bike will also use state similar suspension set up as the gas powered trials txt pro race models.

The bike is due to arrive sometime between july and october 2018 and orders are already now being taken.

Price is expected to be around $14,000.00

Edited by Saint728
  • Like 1