kxrob

2019 Gas gas (torrot) txe

Its more than just having power. With the engine spinning and you not moving, there is inertia there. When you dump the clutch, you get the power of the motor PLUS the inertia that is contained with the spinning flywheel to help launch you. Also, dropping a clutch can be done quicker, with more precision, and with less body movement than going from zero to 80% throttle in order to launch.

How much flywheel do you think an electric motor will have? Probably very little. Ice need it as they have to have enough momentum to make it to the next firing pulse. An electric motor does not. The only reason to add one would be to duplicate the current motor character.

Fwiw I do know of a rider who built an electric trial bike and the clutch was simply an additional throttle. Made it easier to adapt. I expect once riders have never ridden a ice powered bike the need for a clutch will be gone.

14 hours ago, kxrob said:

good thing is that you can buy all the running gear , motor, trans, battery pack from gas gas / torrot and slide it into any modern style trials bike with a perimeter frame ie: gas gas , scorpa , sherco maybe montesa and beta but there frames look to bulk to fit . might get away with it once you remove the gas tank. 

That would be cost effective if the price is right, and need to be less than half a new bike, I would do that. Got an older Beta sitting there.
Could not see too many devaluing a newer model.

Thing is the battery A/Hr rate, will it last a full trial or need to be recharged or battery changeout during an event?

14 hours ago, kxrob said:

Edited by subanator
double up

15 hours ago, slotracer577 said:

How much flywheel do you think an electric motor will have? Probably very little. Ice need it as they have to have enough momentum to make it to the next firing pulse. An electric motor does not. The only reason to add one would be to duplicate the current motor character.

Fwiw I do know of a rider who built an electric trial bike and the clutch was simply an additional throttle. Made it easier to adapt. I expect once riders have never ridden a ice powered bike the need for a clutch will be gone.

A typical electric motor does not have a flywheel at all. However, since this motor has a clutch, I have too assume that they put in a decent sized flywheel to take advantage of it.

20 hours ago, subanator said:

That would be cost effective if the price is right, and need to be less than half a new bike, I would do that. Got an older Beta sitting there.
Could not see too many devaluing a newer model.

Thing is the battery A/Hr rate, will it last a full trial or need to be recharged or battery changeout during an event?

Similar a/hr as an electric motion , if that is anything to go by then a member of our trials club rides a 5 section trials x5 ( 25 sections ) and also rides around and has fun with his kids that are also in the club on osets and has more then 1/2 charge left

On 11/15/2018 at 10:21 AM, woods-rider said:

20 HP. That doesn't sound like much, but maybe that is in line with other gas tials bikes?

~13 ft lbs  at 8000rpm,  I'd guess comparable to a mid size trials motor.