Quick Question KDX 220 2003 Shock Fluid?

Hi all,

I searched everywhere, just hoping to confirm the shock fluid/oil I need to do a change.  Service manual says Bel Ray SE2 #40  but I do not see that as still available.  There is also a mention of SAE 5W,  and Bel Ray does make a 5w Shock Fluid.   Is that the one I need?

I am 220lbs and bought the heavier rear spring and picked up new fork springs and the 7wt oil as recommended by Fredette, but cannot find a current reference for shock fluid,

Any help appreciated,

Mike

45024-0002

Kawasaki part number for Kayaba K2-C shock oil, same oil that KYB put in it from the factory.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/45024-0002?q_ref=45024-0002

http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/resources/products/19627-44.1446/kawasaki-essentials.pdf

If you decide on Bel-ray, I would suggest their 3 wt. if your local store has it. 5 is OK, too.

Silkoline RSF 2.5 is great.

Fine, finer, finest, fine-e-er , it all good man!

Cool, I went with the oily type of Maxima shock fluid, 3wt.  I have the proper spring so I think this will be a major improvement, that and the gold valves and new springs in the front.  Bike was totally built by a friend and he just decided time to quit riding.  My first 2t. With the shaved head, bored carb, Rad Valve, Gnarly pipe and silencer and more it is super fun.  He did all the bearings and such, now I will finish up the suspension and mount a Scotts and be ready to ride.  oh, and some graphics, will post pics when completed.

Mike

9 hours ago, Moto Mike said:

Fine, finer, finest, fine-e-er , it all good man!

Cool, I went with the oily type of Maxima shock fluid, 3wt.  I have the proper spring so I think this will be a major improvement, that and the gold valves and new springs in the front.  Bike was totally built by a friend and he just decided time to quit riding.  My first 2t. With the shaved head, bored carb, Rad Valve, Gnarly pipe and silencer and more it is super fun.  He did all the bearings and such, now I will finish up the suspension and mount a Scotts and be ready to ride.  oh, and some graphics, will post pics when completed.

Mike

Please post up your results after the fork work. (Need more winter projects)

The bike is new to me but with stock suspension.  I am going to replace springs front and rear for my weight add the Gold Valves to the front and just service the rear fluid and nitrogen.  Will post up the results when I get them done early December,

Mike

• Like 1

3w fluid is less viscous that 5w fluid (assuming all things equal) and therefore flows easier, and therefore requires a stiffer shim stack to provide the same damping.  It started with my xrr and the tried and true shim stacks that were readily available on the internet.  I just carried the same concept forward on all my bikes.  I don't have any and haven't seen any definitive proof that thinner fluid is better, but its the road I went down.  

The problem is one company's 3w is similar to another's 5w.  So it is best to reference a chart comparing all fluids to one another when deciding on something different.  If I remember, 3w maxima is similar to US1 5w (racetech) and you will see a lot of popular oils in that same range.  

https://peterverdone.com/archive/files/suspension oils.pdf

Are you sure about that Dan?  I can't make that work in my head.  A thinner fluid will have greater velocity through the valve at a given shim deflection, and thus flow more volume, and have less damping at the same rod speed.  So in my head a 1mm deflection with a thinner fluid will flow the same as 2mm in deflection with a heavier oil, for example. 

I have taken shocks running oem 5w, added some shims and replaced the oil with 3w (light) and it resulted in plusher suspension, or so my butt tells me.