Wrfrk

Quads get very sore while riding

So this is an issue I've been dealing with for quite a few years but it's really bad lately. It used to be that it would only really start bugging me after several hours of riding and mostly just while going downhill. Lately though it does not seem to take long for my quads to really start screaming and I just can't stay standing.

I should add that I do have MS and I fear that maybe this is directly related which could mean the end of my riding or that it's getting very close. I dunno though, do other people have issues with this and if so what can be done to deal with it? What exercises can be done to strengthen my quads for longer rides?  I should also add that I already do workout 3+ days /week and always do at least 20 min of high impact cardio (stationary bike or elliptical) plus squats and other leg exercises.

Edited by Wrfrk

On 11/16/2018 at 10:17 PM, Wrfrk said:

So this is an issue I've been dealing with for quite a few years but it's really bad lately. It used to be that it would only really start bugging me after several hours of riding and mostly just while going downhill. Lately though it does not seem to take long for my quads to really start screaming and I just can't stay standing.

I should add that I do have MS and I fear that maybe this is directly related which could mean the end of my riding or that it's getting very close. I dunno though, do other people have issues with this and if so what can be done to deal with it? What exercises can be done to strengthen my quads for longer rides?  I should also add that I already do workout 3+ days /week and always do at least 20 min of high impact cardio (stationary bike or elliptical) plus squats and other leg exercises.

It's great to hear you are able to ride and live normally with MS. Keep doing what you're doing.

I suggest trying to work more on compound exercises.

Front squats, Hack squats, lunges, weighted lunges, step ups, weighted and unweighted. Leg pressing works well too.

Use machines sparingly because they don't help with all the muscles around, they fixate on 1.

I generally incorporate machines into every workout, but they are used as a super set.

For instance, hack squats (Machine) 1 set of 20, lunges 50 (25 one way 25 back) or less if weighted. then you go to front squats and do 1 set of 20

I'm using this as an example, and depending on how many days/week you workout, you may have to do less reps to incorporate the rest of your workout in.

Also, a major suggestion is to ensure you do your cardio AFTER your workout. This will get rid of most of your glycogen and allow for the best of both worlds. After your workout, make sure to eat something healthy with protein to feed those muscles!

9 hours ago, Wrfrk said:

Good advise, the question is how many days per week should I push my legs like that. I fear that if I do that to often then my legs will always be tight and sore.

The biggest thing here is that you need to "Feel" that. Listen to your body and it will tell you. Don't over do it.. as you will not be able to ride to full potential. 

I do legs 2x a week, split Monday - Thursday. Monday sore after riding, it helps loosen up and sore me up some more until Thursday. Come the weekend and ride time, I'm loose and feeling great.

You may feel good enough to do 3x a week. With that said, I go into leg day like I'm going to WAR. I F#*k my legs up and wonder why I did it!

Try out some sets, start small and work up. Keep super sets going and keep the reps/weight low enough to where you can complete the whole super set a few times with short rests 2-5 minutes inbetween super sets.

You will find your good regime and be able to work up from there.

Right with you! I was also diagnosed with MS, turned out to be a rare form of diabetic neuropathy where my nerve branches don’t communicate with my muscles appropriately. I coach 2 wheeled athletes and am the former lead biomechanist for CTS during Lance Armstrong’s reign. Feel free to contact me I know some tings that should really help

Deep knee bends, and bicycle riding will strengthen your quads. 

So stoked that you are not letting MS keep you down!  My only thought to add to this conversation is to evaluate both the functional range of motion as well as functional strength.  In some instances, additional strength work may actually decrease functional strength because of the lack of flexibility.  Think about it this way, if the muscles are tight, the muscles can't go through their normal range of motion - this creates internal friction (i.e. body heat) and enhanced fatigue (resulting in slower speeds and less endurance). 

If possible, go visit with a good physio to ensure that you have optimized range of motion on both sides of each joint: knees: quads-hamstrings; shoulders: chest-rhomboids; elbow: bicep-triceps; etc.  This will remove the guess work and optimize the effort your (obviously) willing to put in.  

Please keep me posted on your progress and if you need/want some functional strength exercises, please don't hesitate to drop me an email.  I would be happy to send you a few routines.  

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb