MOTO VAN Pictures, Questions, Comments

So I am in the market for a Moto Van. I have looked through countless threads on TT (Most of them are Ages Old) and on other forums.

I thought it would be a good idea for people out there with Moto Vans, people searching, and people with questions to have 1 big thread we can collaborate on.

Anyone that has a thread and wants to update here or there and give us a link, that would be great.

I know some of my major questions are this:

For the Savannah, E series Fords, Etc... Extended Cargo's.

1. What is head room like when loading/unloading bikes. - What issues, things could be done to make doing so easier?

2. For the Extended cargo's does anyone have specs on lengths and such for the full wall for your sleeping area?

3. I noticed a lot of people have a good fold down bench seat/bed. Are you getting these from campers, transit style, etc..?

4. I want to be able to fit 3 bikes, Will the Peg Clamp style (Risk Racing lock & Load system) work well, and can you do it with 3?

5. A lot of these cargo vans within a reasonable price have 150k-250k miles (There is a thread on here "How many miles is too many"), But I want to hear in regards to these vans and their reliability.

6. Rear wheel, Front Wheel, All Wheel drive... Living up north, what do you drive and why? I would love AWD but they seem few and far between.

For those that have done this or those who do it for a living, what is the best advice in regards to the build?

If you have links to good builds on these vans that are up to date, or extremely detailed regarding extended cargo vans, that aren't out dated, post them up!

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 ex-Penske 17 foot boxvan that's an ongoing project. Original idea was a Sprinter, canned that idea due to negative feedback re. Sprinter reliability (mostly electrical issues)  then Ford Transit but couldn't justify spending 40K for a long wheelbase base model, so I bought the Penske for 12K. Very happy with it, btw. Not as big a problem driving locally as I thought it would be, just keep in mind it's 10'6" high and a bit wider than a smaller van. Lots of space, I carry three full-size bikes comfortably and a 6 x 8 foot living/sleeping area.

I can't answer regarding Econoline vans, but:

1) I bought two of the lock-and-load thingies......didn't like them, big, wide, in the way, shin-busters. Look at CONDOR bike chocks (trailer mount model). I now have three of them in my van, extremely well (US) made, best I've seen by far.

2) My van was an off-lease 4-year old with 128 000 miles on it, had it serviced by my mechanic and he said it was "in phenomenal condition". Lower is better, miles-wise.

3) A 4x4 van would be nice,  but $$$$$$$.  Unless you're planning an African odyssey from Cairo to Cape Town, overkill I think.  RWD will suffice for 95% of the places  you want to go. 

4) Size: I ruled out an Econoline early on, I'm 6'6 and tried loading some bikes into my buddy's and about scalped myself 17 times. Higher space is better.  

The Ford Transit is a very nice vehicle but it's not cheap, by the time you build it you're probably out 50-60K.  Since they've only been sold in the US since 2015, there's not much (if any) of a used market yet. 

• 7 months later...

I see a ton of people who build a wall in their van to keep the smell of gas down in the van. I found another trick that has worked well and keeps the van far more versatile. If you plug the fuel tank breather with a golf tee while hauling the bike in addition to an exhaust plug it almost completely eliminates the smell of gas in the van. If you want to completely eliminate it then install an airbox wash cover and make sure you clean around the top of your gas cans. I run race gas VP T4 and Renegade SX4. this stuff has stunk up my entire house and numerous occasions but by doing these simple steps it has completely eliminated the smell in my van. My wife and I have both slept in the van on numerous occasions with the bike and we have never smelled gas. bought a ridgid tools battery powered fan and use a 9AH battery and the things will run all weekend and still have some power left over. 

• Like 1