Coolant Overflow tank question

I got this motion pro overflow tank and I am seeing that it is not completely air tight.  Does that matter?  I know coolant won't leak the way its mounted but I am wondering if I should bother with sealing it up or just run it how it came?  

I put some flex seal tape on it but not well enough to seal it up 100 percent

20181117_152816.jpg

20181117_152813.jpg

Edited by Sasha Rudolfski
Pics

I'm not sure what you mean by air tight. The overflow needs to have a vent to release the displaced air when the tank starts to fill with fluid.

If the air can't escape, you're basically making a bomb filled with billing toxic Kool aid.

When the motor cools back down, the radiators can suck the liquid in the tank back up as the pressure in the radiators drops

• Like 4

Exactly,

as long as the radiator cap is of the return type and, the overflow tube always submerged in coolant, 

what was expelled when hot will get siphoned back into the cooling system on cooldown.

Overflow tank not to be confused with an expansion tank as seen on many late model automobiles which, operates under pressure.

• Like 2

As long as your return hose stays under the coolant it will pull it back. I set mine up a little differently. Breather in the top center but the feed from the radiator is at the bottom of the tank.

For those not familiar the tank comes with 2 undrilled hose nipples. 1 on top and the other on the bottom. You choose which you want to use and drill the nipple open.

IMG_20180912_192504057.jpeg.67ebc5b626ff24e861315be713e7106c.jpeg